Bumbalumptious Bug Update: The Hell Kitty

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
LAV25

Bumbalumptious Bug Update: The Hell Kitty

Post by LAV25 »

Okay, the reason I joined this forum: I have a Clod that I want to make into....

...a Clod.

Really, not looking to break any new ground here, and not looking to change the basic Tamiya Clodbuster all that much. One of the things that I love about the Clod is that, if you watch videos of the monster trucks that were its contemporaries, it was almost the perfect scale RC. Yes, MOA is wrong, but everything else is spot on. The stance, the hard body being analogous to the full pickup bodies that were still in use, and even the (by modern standards) sub-par speed and agility are very close to where Bigfoot III was.

I want to keep that, so I'm not changing a whole lot. Things I am adjusting are:

Strength and durability. I got my Clod used, and I'm really not sure what generation it is. The body has since been repurposed, but it came with a grille that was neither bowtie nor 4x4x4. However, it did come with the internal stiffeners:

I've added the Crawford Performance Engineering aluminum chassis brace http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... cts_id=703

I've four linked it, the balls are Kyosho 6.8mm Franged (sic) Ball, part #92841, and the adjusters are Kyosho 6.8mm Ball Ends, part #97051. Those end adjusters are for 4mm rods, so I've used some 4mm allthread from the local hardware store, sleeved in 6mm OD, 1mm thick aluminum tube, from experience I know this is a pretty solid setup.

The links attach to the axles using some Level 3 RC axle stiffeners and 4-link mounts. They were supposed to come with conical washers, but there was a packing error. Since I was planning on using the Kyosho flanged balls anyway, it didn't affect things at all:

Steering knuckles are aluminum, and stolen from my old super-class crawler. I honestly don't remember who made them, or where I got them from. Possibly the now-defunct JP Customs? Anyway, they'll do the trick, no steering stops on them:

One thing I didn't realize when I started this is that the stock Clod "dampers" are 110mm. I was planning on using some Maxx shocks (again, stolen from my crawler), so I had to order a lift kit (http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... ucts_id=64) from Crawford:

Steering is axle mounted, again, some old parts I had, maybe RC Guys? Anyway, somewhat frustrating since whoever made it (and this, I'm sad to say, goes for the Crawford parts too) decided to use imperial (inch based) nuts and bolts rather than metric. I know, I know, most of you all are US-based, and I'm an American too, but here's the thing: Having a Clodbuster (or any Tamiya product) means that, no matter where you're from, you have a metric wrench, those little gray crosses that we all collect. It does not mean that you have any imperial tools, and there's nothing worse than having to wait for the weekend to go to a specialty hardware store that carries non-metric tools to put your truck together.

Okay, sorry, rant over. Steering, using Tower Pro MG945 servos. Tons of torque, metal gears, and something like ten bucks apiece:

Right, that's the basics. Let's move to a new post, shall we?
Last edited by LAV25 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, I'm the guy you saw hammering in screws with a pipe wrench, why do you ask?

LAV25

Re: Bumbalumptious Lightly Modded Clod

Post by LAV25 »

So that's what's going on with the basics. As a roller, it looks like this:

Looks fine, the wheelbase and ride height are as near to stock as I can get, but it needs a body. I mentioned that the Chevy truck had been repurposed, it's over on my 3 Speed Stoplight Racer: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=30796

Again, I'm not breaking new ground here, I know it's been done, but somehow a Sand Scorcher fills the bill. Body post holes are filled and sanded, and I wanted to paint it today, but it's raining like crazy:

Just resting on the chassis, but that won't change much once I make my mounting system:

I still have a few more tricks up my sleeve with this, so keep an eye out. On winter break, with luck I should be able to finish it soon.

Thanks for looking!

-val
Yeah, I'm the guy you saw hammering in screws with a pipe wrench, why do you ask?

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy »

Looks good!

Those knuckles look like the GPM knuckles I have.

Yep imperials screws annoy me as well!

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Nice build so far and it is pretty straight forward and not to far off the beaten path. I do like the look of the body on it, but I will have to wait and see how you mount it and your plans for the longer chassis, in relation too the body. I'm guessing you have some trick up your sleeve. :wink:

I as well get frustrated with the metric/standard hardware. I prefer the metric as well and can't stand Phillip style heads on any RC, so rant ok in my book! =D>
Jeff

LAV25

Post by LAV25 »

SFC K wrote:Nice build so far and it is pretty straight forward and not to far off the beaten path. I do like the look of the body on it, but I will have to wait and see how you mount it and your plans for the longer chassis, in relation too the body. I'm guessing you have some trick up your sleeve. :wink:
Yeah, that's, um, well....

Hmm.

Body mounting is definitely sorted, and most of the interior is sussed out if not built (still got some parts on the way that I decided I really needed).

The front end is easy, I've got a good idea on how to distract attention from the chassis without chopping it away (and losing strength as a result), but the rear....

I dunno, gonna have to think on that one. I've got one idea, but it's pretty evil, and not really suited.

Gotta think some more.

Clodosaurus Rex
Approved Member

Post by Clodosaurus Rex »

Looking good so far! Can't wait to see how you do with mating the body to the chassis.

LAV25

Post by LAV25 »

Yes, I have been working. Was at the inlaws over Christmas, then got sick, so progress was slow, but she's almost done.

Now, there are a lot of pictures I don't want to show yet, since this is honestly mostly a cosmetic build, and I want to do a "big reveal" at the end. However, I can show off my body mounting system.

First, the stock radio tray needed to go. Too many bumps and divots, so I cut and drilled a 2mm thick piece of styrene to size:

Also worth noting at this point is that I have two stock Clod chassis. The black one is all mounted up with the axles, braces, etc, and I'm using the red Bullhead chassis for fitting of body parts. It makes it a lot easier when you aren't swinging around the weight of all the other stuff. Once things are done, everything will be fitted to the black chassis.

The new radio tray will either have the receiver, ESC, and light box fitted to its bottom, or they'll go under the hood of the bug, I haven't decided yet. The tray has three 3mm bolts run through it. They aren't body mounts, but instead serve as guides to make sure the body always ends up properly aligned.

Next I cut another piece of styrene to fit the bottom opening of the Bug body. My original plan was to have it sit nearly flush on the radio tray, but the Bug nosecone got mixed up with the wheel arches on the chassis, so I had to make four 8mm pads for velcro mounting.

Of course, the Sand Scorcher comes with a driver, so I need a steering wheel and dash. Let's throw in a shifter while we're at it, shall we? It's very, very simple, but how often are people going to look inside?

Mounted onto the chassis:

Right, gotta go to work, more tomorrow, perhaps even the big reveal, we'll see!

LAV25

Post by LAV25 »

Getting there, if the weather is good tomorrow I'll take her out for a photo shoot. She's a roller, I decided it was time to retire my old EVX, so the new one is in the mail.

Teaser:

LAV25

Post by LAV25 »

OK, she's a roller and out in the parking garage for a photo shoot.

Since this is mostly a scale/cosmetic build, I started out by trying to build a full roll cage to fit inside the body. Then I realized this was foolish, since most roll cages are largely invisible, but I could still put in a couple of members that would suggest a cage:

@SFC K asked how I was planning on dealing with the longer chassis. In the front, just sort of a handwave, but in the back, well, "Whaddya doin' with that universal light bucket kit, Val?"

Painting it black:

And installing a kickin' stereo system:

Currently nonfunctional, but I'm looking into a bluetooth speaker or something. Clod's got a lot of extra room in it.

LAV25

Re: Bumbalumptious Bug Update: The Hell Kitty

Post by LAV25 »

Moving on.

I'm sure you noticed that hole I chopped in the front boot lid. Kinda looks like a blower is going to go there, doesn't it? "But Val," I hear you saying, "Bugs came with a rear engine, the front was the trunk."

Well, yeah, the stock Beetle didn't have a front engine, but the stock Beetle didn't didn't roll on 66" Terra Crushers either, and this is a VW engine. Got the badge to prove it and everything:

"Wait a minute, what's up with that driver? Is that--"

Yes, it is Hello Kitty. Almost. More on that later. I ordered a Tamiya Bruiser driver body, had some RC4WD seats laying around from a project that didn't pan out, so I put two and two together to make five:

Sharp eyes will notice that when she's actually in the body of the rig, she's pretty angry, got a scar on her face, and her bow is black, not red. She's not Hello Kitty, she's the Hell Kitty:

All the front lights will be functional once I get the electrics up, and I'm still deciding whether or not to paint the lower chassis brace and shock lifts red to match the fenders, black to hide them, or leave them bare.

Anyway, thanks for looking, more to follow, and if you have any questions, hit me up!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

I am liking all the detail put into this. =D>

I say paint those red. :popcorn:

80's MonsterMan
Approved Member

Post by 80's MonsterMan »

I really like all the extra detail you did on this very cool. Are you planning on putting some headers hanging out the front fenders?

LAV25

Post by LAV25 »

That's an excellent idea, but... I don't want to make this a shelf queen. I'm afraid that headers would fall off pretty quickly.

I'll take a look though, might be able to make something work.

LAV25

Post by LAV25 »

Ok, I know this doesn't really count as an update, but I got my EVX-2 in last week, then found out that Traxxas uses their own electrical connectors, then messed up one of my two remaining Dean's plugs with my poor soldering skills. However, I went to the semi-LHS today, got some more plugs, got everything soldered up with the single battery mod, and the Kitty moved tonight, under her own power, without her body on because I still have to get the lighting sorted, around the apartment!

I'm very happy, I thought this was going to be a simple "cut allthread, paint body, go" build, but it wasn't. Not that it was that hard in comparison to some others I've done, but still. It was good to see her move, got some family commitments over the weekend, but she should be fully up and breaking parts that I don't have spares for next week.

:lol: :x :lol: :x :cry:

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano »

THIS PROJECT IS AWESOME!

I'm seriously sitting over here giggling and gibbering like a little idiot right now. Well actually I'm usually gibbering and I'm usually an idiot so the only thing new is the giggling :) :mrgreen:

The extra bits of detail and atmosphere really sell it. I had originally thought of doing something like this with my Nut Buster project but I'm glad I didn't because you would have blown me out of the water in every measurable category of execution. Excellent job! :thumbsup: