clod pounder

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
scott38

clod pounder

Post by scott38 »

I'm new the group my name is Scott been out of the hobby for a long time tryin to get another clod together would someone be able give length and width of the pounder chassis i have a friend going to make my chassis plates for me . building my first clod in alomst 16 years cant wait to get started thanks

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Re: clod pounder

Post by shadowfocus603 »

I can get the measurements for you. I just built a Clod Pounder myself. Check out the link in my sig. Measurements will be posted in a bit.

scott38

Post by scott38 »

thanks man i appreciate the info cant wait to get started on the project

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

15.25" long 7 5/8" high and outside to outside the width is 3.5" If you are cutting your own plates go with at least 1/8" or 3mm flat stock. Also were it me I'd run the plates about 4" wide for easier access to interior as well as clearance on the motor cans especially if you plan to run 550 sized motors like I do. Lastly make sure you"X" brace the font and rear sections side plate to side plate. I have bent my stock pounder plates more than once.

scott38

Post by scott38 »

thats the info im looking for and just did some trading and got myself axles and tires and wheels and some odd and in parts thanks for the info

scott38

Post by scott38 »

do u have pics of the bracing ur talking about

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

I just edited one of my old pics to show you the idea
The red lines indicate the type of bracing you need. However you make it work as long as it's triangulated. I got that advice from another member here (andymac0035). Otherwise with a twin vertical plate chassis where you are trying to emulate a full size truck the rear portion that runs under the bed of the body is vulnerable in certain situations. (tail down landing off center) The front of my chassis hasn't bent but the rear has more than once. Another suggestion would be to run a cross member between where your shocks mount. Rather than having a nut threaded onto your shock mounting bolt the bolt itself would screw into the threaded cross member. Reason I suggest that is because on my truck after a couple harder landings the chassis started to tweak where the shocks mounted to it.

jdmerrill1240
Approved Member

Post by jdmerrill1240 »

The biggest reason your having so much problem with your groundpounder bending and tweaking is because it's so thin and basically like a pop can.... Your best bet is to just get a set of aftermarket plates from either Ernie(KingKlod) or there is a few other members making chassis plates. The plates will be thicker and a long stronger, I have a KK-1 clod that is based of the groundpounder chassis and have zero issues with it bending or tweaking and I'm running 550's with 17T pinions and 4S. That's just my .02
Juggernaut 2, Retro chassis Bigfoot, KK-1 Bigfoot 20, CPE Super Stallion, Boyer Digger , Why so serious?? Dark Knight KK-2

scott38

Post by scott38 »

What is the thicknesses of a g pounder chassis plate

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

Maybe 2 - 2.5mm.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy »

They are 2mm and bend easy. Like pretty much everything on the GP, it is close to being good, but not good.