Brushless Predator!!

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
copper44

Brushless Predator!!

Post by copper44 »

Well after many questions (Thanks Andy and Scott) and many many purchases, I have what I need to begin the project. This is my first real big project so I am unsure how much time it will take, but here is a list of what I am starting with.
CPE- Predator Chassis
CPE- BTA steering kit
CPE- Rear Lockout
CPE-Wheel Wideners
CPE-Servo
Castle Creations- SV2 ESC's
Castle Creations- 6900kv
Castle Creations- 10 amp BEC
Turnigy- 5000mah 50c batteries
Traxxas 2.4 Radio and receiver
Tires and Wheels- Via AndyMac
Body- Custom painted F-250

Well that's most of the things...there's a few other random items here and there. Tonight I am tackling the soldering of battery connectors to the ESC's and redoing the Turnigy batteries from 4mm bullets to Traxxas connectors( all my other batteries are already traxxas so figured this would just keep it simple)

Trying to load pictures from photobucket, but it keeps getting an error uploading my pictures, anyone know of a better place to upload pictures through?

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Brushless Predator!!

Post by andymac0035 »

I use facebook for my pics. Make sure you re-size them first and it will go a LOT better.

You don't need that castle BEC for what you got there. That esc/radio/servo is exactly what I'm using and I can tell you that the dual SV2's will handle that servo fine as long as you don't cut any of the bec wires.

Now if you plan to upgrade to a higher amp draw servo......well yeah you might need it then, but not for the CPE servo.

copper44

Post by copper44 »

Hmm I was resizing them in paint before I was trying to upload them too. And I already have the external BEC soldered in to the connector with the ESC...can't hurt right?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

It's fine as long as you make sure niether SV2's red (internal) bec wire is connected.
Otherwise, I'd take it off (and if it was me I would) and save it for when you actually need it.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Oh, and if you do decide to keep that BEC on there, use that esc on the front motor.

copper44

Post by copper44 »

Can I just disconnect the red wires from the dual harness?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

That is what I would do, and BTW, I said use the esc with the 10A BEC for the front, because it will help even the battery load out. The rear battery is going to see more load since the rear motor see's more load, therefor it will pull more juice. With my truck I stop about mid-run and switch my battery connections around. That way I don't have my rear battery hit LVC waaay before the front one does. I tried making an H-connection for that batts, but it actually made things worse (if you were thinking of doing that). Some people do that and say it works, but I bet they ain't using 6900kv motors.... :mrgreen:

Kingclod27
Approved Member

Post by Kingclod27 »

those predator chassis's are really nice...cant wait to see the pics, wat paint job did you do on the body?
The Original Monster Truck

SPEED.......I..AM..SPEED

http://www.youtube.com/user/geeboo27

copper44

Post by copper44 »

Bringing this thread up from the grave... =D> Life sort of got in the way and things were halted, new house, new baby (plus another on the way as we speak), 3 different job promotions have kept this project boxed up for way too long. Finally got everything put together over the weekend to find out I am having a major problem with the steering. Tried the BTA, tried flipping the BTA around to the front with no luck. Basically I unhook the servo linkage and the hubs/tires move freely from side to side. Hook up the servo with horn saver and I get limited turning, not sure if I have it hooked up to the receiver in correctly if things didn't get centered right or what. I am at work at the moment but will try to get lots of pictures up and maybe even a video tonight. Also have a weird almost grinding noise from the front gearbox, I am hoping that my mesh just isn't set correctly. Or possibly the set screw on the pinion is hitting something? It seemed that I had to pull the pinion pretty far out on the motor shaft to match up with the gear.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Welcome back! Now get some pictures so we can see your finished set-up.

I would take the axle apart that has the grinding noise. That should not be there if you followed the instructions and are using the stock pinions. Their are two nuts that are inside the gear case as well. I wonder if one of those fell out while you were assembling and rolling around inside?
Jeff

copper44

Post by copper44 »

So what would everyone say is the easiest method of getting the steering to work? Vertical servo mount, horizontal with linkage, bta, or the bta but flipped to the front?

Thanks

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

I too have a brushless Predator, only with 5900kv motors. With 6900's, your truck is going to be insanely fast. And, probably break some parts..... :explosion: Welcome to the club 8)

I've been through every steering system you mentioned. I've settled on a vertical mount as it allows me to have a higher ride height (I went to 125mm shocks for better landings). If you are going to keep it low, I like the BTA systems as it protects the servo and linkage quite well. With the vertical mount, well, just don't hit anything.......... BTA flipped, in my opinion, is even more vulnerable than the vertical mount.

I went brushless with my build starting here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29291&start=75
copper44 wrote:So what would everyone say is the easiest method of getting the steering to work? Vertical servo mount, horizontal with linkage, bta, or the bta but flipped to the front?

Thanks

671CLOD
Approved Member

Post by 671CLOD »

I can't wait to see how the build turns out. I just ordered a predator chassis for my first clod build.

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

Very cool. What other parts will you be using? Motors, ESC's, body, etc.
671CLOD wrote:I can't wait to see how the build turns out. I just ordered a predator chassis for my first clod build.

Fatcatcustomz
Approved Member

Post by Fatcatcustomz »

Can't wait to see this. I built a predator with 7700kv bit was fairly nasty! It kaboom'd more than anything lol.