Steve's tube clod build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Steve C
Approved Member

Re: Steve's tube clod build

Post by Steve C »

Starting to get caught up on work stuff so was able to spend a little bit of time working on the clod again late tonight. Sometimes I am just amazed at what other people and just have to wonder what the hell they could have been thinking. I bought the set of axles used so wanted to tear them down and inspect them, clean them up/paint, and upgrade the tubes/shafts/knuckle and such. So I tear the front gear case down and am surprised to see that there is not a single speck of lube anywhere in the case. Gears are dry as can be. If that weren't bad enough I tear down the rear case and I find this.......

Obviously the previous owner didn't know the different between silicon based lube and RTV hi temp silicone gasket maker. I gotta say that was a first for me, never seen that one before lol. Surprisingly the gears themselves looked to be in pretty good shape somehow. So spent some time cleaning the housing, sanding them, priming and painting then, then clear coating and putting them in the drying cabinet to harden up. Also got the new machined aluminum axles/shafts/knuckles fully built and replaced all the bushings with sealed bearings and ready to go onto the cases once they cure up fully.

I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy »

I'm guessing the red silicon was an attempt at limiting differential action.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

I guess probably so. Kind'a ghetto though lol.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

Axles are all done now. Hope to have some time this week to get them under the tube chassis so I can start making the 4-links and 4-link mounts to mount them to the frame.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Looks pretty nice after all that. Are you planning to add axle brace supports?

I know the tubes are in no danger, but I could see the plastic case it's bolted to being the weak link here. :-k

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

Gotta order new braces, the guy that had them before me hacked the crap out of them so they are pretty useless. The cases won't be plastic for too long :wink: I spoke to Hesse last week because I want to get a set of his machined cases so I'm just waiting till he does his next batch around December. I plan to get some from him and then have them powder coated orange.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar »

Those axles turned out great!

Have to admit, I've never seen RTV used as a diff locker either. :lol: #-o :rofl:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

Yeah that's a new one on me man. I remember back when I use to run 1/8 scale buggies we use to run heavier oil to slow down the diff action, but I can't ever recall anyone using RVT lol

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

4 link brackets on the frame now and 4 links made. Used the 8/32 rod - 1/4" brake line - Traxxas rod end method. Spent a bit of extra time on them with some polishing compound to make them look nice. Gonna have the axles under it very shortly.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

Well one Mapp gas tank and eight oxygen tanks later lol...the tube chassis is DONE. Just finished up adding the shock mounts, cockpit cross bars, and few other braces. JUst sanding it clean now. Hopefully will have some pics of with axles under it sitting on the tires later this evening with a little luck.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

Got the axles under it and into a full roller now. Probably take a few day break from it to do some real work but I'm happy with getting it to this point for now at least.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

That's coming along VERY nicely! Pretty big too, you might want to consider what it might look like with mudslingers on it. :mrgreen:
(they are larger than stock clod tires)

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

Thanks Andy. Yeah I'm playing around with an idea I have. I want to be able to somewhat easily change the handling of it from tall and somewhat stiff for mudding and climbing where a high ground clearance is needed, to another option that makes it a bit lower with much more side to side sway and travel. So the first pics are with the links at quite an angle to get it up like that. Then what I am working on is fabbing some mounts that will be somewhat easily installed with 4 cap head screws that will lower the whole truck a bit and get the lower 4 link bars more parallel to give it more travel.

What I'm using are some CPE mounts that are made for going on the axle tubes. Right now this is just mocked up here because once I'm done these will be connected with straight stock making them a one piece unit on each side.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

Being away from RC for so many years I guess I forgot a few things. Last night I was messing around with it and couldn't figure out why it just didn't seem to have quite the side to side movement that I wanted. I don't want the out of control crazy side to side movement, but it just seemed like something was "off". After messing around with it for an hour I finally figured out the mistake I made. The shock caps were mounted parallel with the chassis so when it would roll side to side the mounting point was binding and limiting travel and smoothness.

So today I have been making my own custom brackets out of 1/8" x 1/2" steel cut heated and bent that way I can get the shocks in a much more natural position. I only have one side done at the moment but the difference is night & day. It has already free'd up the suspension greatly!

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon »

Fantastic progress Steve - i think you need a bigger motor though, it kinda looks puny amongst all that tubing :shock: