Bumbalumptious Bug Update: The Hell Kitty

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
LAV25

Re: Bumbalumptious Bug Update: The Hell Kitty

Post by LAV25 »

Man, you know how much a compliment means to me when it comes from you, potatobeanocatweabthingamabob! This is just a little bit of makeup and some stretching exercises for an old Clod, nothing too special. That having been said, I'm going to have one more update coming soon, maybe tomorrow. My printer gave up the ghost some time ago, so I'm going to buy a new one, and once I do, I'll get the license plates made and on. It is the little details that count, and every rig I build that gets a plate has one more little bit, for those with the right eyes.

Soon...soon.

I had her out to the park yesterday for about five minutes, and then one of the nuts in the front steering linkage that I could have sworn was a nylon locknut went walkabout and we almost went swimming in the creek...
Yeah, I'm the guy you saw hammering in screws with a pipe wrench, why do you ask?

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano »

LAV25 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:28 pm
Man, you know how much a compliment means to me when it comes from you, potatobeanocatweabthingamabob! This is just a little bit of makeup and some stretching exercises for an old Clod, nothing too special. That having been said, I'm going to have one more update coming soon, maybe tomorrow. My printer gave up the ghost some time ago, so I'm going to buy a new one, and once I do, I'll get the license plates made and on. It is the little details that count, and every rig I build that gets a plate has one more little bit, for those with the right eyes.

Soon...soon.

I had her out to the park yesterday for about five minutes, and then one of the nuts in the front steering linkage that I could have sworn was a nylon locknut went walkabout and we almost went swimming in the creek...
Well you did an awesome job! It might seem like a simple body hack, but I appreciate these kind of details a lot. What comes to mind is the classic story about a tiny old man asked to fix a giant steam boiler... he studies it carefully, walks around it once or twice, and then whips out a small mallet. One hard THWACK later, the boiler comes back to life and he gives his invoice... "$5000 for the repair of a steam boiler". The client gets a bit upset and says "All you did was hit it with a hammer!?". The little old man takes the invoice and scribbles out an itemized list... it now reads: "$1 for using a hammer to repair steam boiler.... $4999 for knowing where to hit."

LAV25

Post by LAV25 »

This Kitty is done!

Lights all work, although it was pretty much impossible to find a way to show them in operation without blinding the camera:

It doesn't really show here, but while the headlights on the bumper are white, the ones in the bug nosecone are red as an homage to Gravedigger. Also, although I didn't realize it when I bought the light kit, they're hooked up to the throttle. Dim red at idle and low rpms, but they flash to full power when she gets angry and floors it. Also, the two little amber marker lights are working turn signals fed through the front steering servo (ch2). Even though she's an angry little girl, she's still polite when changing lanes. I didn't do the rear light mod because I got too far along on the paint before realizing what would need to be done, but I may go back and alter that later. Rear license plate is illuminated though.

Speaking of plates, hers read "CTONEKO":

Illinois only allows seven characters on their plates, so I had to combine things a little, but CTON is from "cthonic", the Greek derived adjective for of or relating to the underworld. "NEKO" is the Japanese word for cat.

Multilingual Hell Kitty.

I painted the shock lift kit and chassis brace red, and I think it looks a heck of a lot better that way. Also, while it might not be obvious, I sprayed the chassis and axles with matte clearcoat. It takes off the plastic shine, and I think it looks a lot better.

Before (look at the reflection on the chassis at the top of the shock):

After:

So, I think I'm pretty much done with her. Had her out for a run, and she doesn't actually handle much better than stock. I think one of my shocks is out of oil, and I may have actually shortened the wheelbase a bit, but I'm okay with that. She's not a crawler, she's not some widened race truck, and she's not the Gravedigger; she's a late 80s, Bigfoot III generation girl who's happy bouncing around in the park and scaring the lap dogs.

She's the Hell Kitty.

Yeah, I'm the guy you saw hammering in screws with a pipe wrench, why do you ask?

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

:shock: That turned out really cool! I like it a lot! 8)
Jeff