Dusted my old Clod Buster off after 28 years!

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
fire488

Dusted my old Clod Buster off after 28 years!

Post by fire488 »

Hello Clod Talk,
I am new to this board and can see I have a ton of reading to do before I get started. My Clod is in very bad shape as my teardown just showed me. I will need a new body, chassis, some suspension parts, motors, possible other electrical parts, battery, remote control (maybe) and who knows what else. It looks like I may need to just go for a kit of some kind. Not sure where to go yet, but since this was a gift from my wife 28 years ago i really want to rebuild it. Plus it just looks so dang cool!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i am very new to this. I am a retired professional firefighter as well as retired marine mechanic. I feel I have very good mechanical skills to get me through this.
Thanks guys and great to meet you all!

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Dusted my old Clod Buster off after 28 years!

Post by andymac0035 »

You are going to want a new radio. The 2.4 ghz systems they have today will make you forget all about radio's with crystals.

Also take the time to learn and understand lipo (lithium polymer) batteries. You are going to want to run those vs the nickel batteries you ran all those years ago.

As for your truck, the first thing you have to decide is how close to stock you want it to be. Since your chassis is broken, as well as suspension, you really have a blank canvas at this point. Are you thinking restore?... or is the modify-bug biting you?

wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by wahrsuul »

I get it. I'm a recent "returnee" myself. Wasn't sure what to do with the Clod....currently I have an aluminum chassis build that's kind of stalled for the moment due to funding requirements.

My original clod is somewhat modified, but it was done BITD, and I have no plans to change it. I have a stock Clod as well, and want to keep it that way.

As andymac said; depends on what you want to do, but also how much you want to spend. Sounds like it's in rough shape, but if you want to restore it the parts are available pretty cheap just because of the re-release. I just had to replace a gear case, and it around $10.

As far as LiPo, that's a personal choice. It will give better performance and much longer run times, but it has other issues to consider, and you'll also need a new charger, low voltage monitor (LVM) or new radio/speed control that works with LiPo. I still have all my old 27mhz radios, and they work. New ones are surprisingly cheap though, so they're worth a look.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

What Andy said. :wink:

I personally would keep it stock and run it just for the nostalgia factor. You would be surprised with just upgrading to Lipo batteries how much performance increases with longer run times as compared to nickel or nimah batteries.

A lot of information can be found in the pages here to give you ideas on which way to proceed with upgrades down the road.

On another note, if you still have your manual, look at all the parts that were broken from the Godzilla attack. :mrgreen: Most parts are still readily available on line for cheap. EBay, you can get a whole new chassis for under 20 shipped. It shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg to get it back in stock form running again. The body will be your largest purchase to bring it back to it's glory days. Most likely you will only need the main body and window insert depending on where the damage occurred.

I hope this helps! There are plenty of smart folks here to help you out along the way.
Jeff

fire488

Post by fire488 »

andymac0035 wrote:You are going to want a new radio. The 2.4 ghz systems they have today will make you forget all about radio's with crystals.

Also take the time to learn and understand lipo (lithium polymer) batteries. You are going to want to run those vs the nickel batteries you ran all those years ago.

As for your truck, the first thing you have to decide is how close to stock you want it to be. Since your chassis is broken, as well as suspension, you really have a blank canvas at this point. Are you thinking restore?... or is the modify-bug biting you?
I am definitely going to change the radio and look into this lipo system you speak of. My plans are to stay stock with this truck since it has sentimental value to me.
Thanks for the info!

fire488

Post by fire488 »

wahrsuul wrote:I get it. I'm a recent "returnee" myself. Wasn't sure what to do with the Clod....currently I have an aluminum chassis build that's kind of stalled for the moment due to funding requirements.

My original clod is somewhat modified, but it was done BITD, and I have no plans to change it. I have a stock Clod as well, and want to keep it that way.

As andymac said; depends on what you want to do, but also how much you want to spend. Sounds like it's in rough shape, but if you want to restore it the parts are available pretty cheap just because of the re-release. I just had to replace a gear case, and it around $10.

As far as LiPo, that's a personal choice. It will give better performance and much longer run times, but it has other issues to consider, and you'll also need a new charger, low voltage monitor (LVM) or new radio/speed control that works with LiPo. I still have all my old 27mhz radios, and they work. New ones are surprisingly cheap though, so they're worth a look.
Thank you very much for the info. I will go the stock route with some light mods I think, but I am going to read before I dive into this. I wish more of the suspension was made of light metal instead of this weak plastic. I know it's lighter, but does not take too much to break it.

fire488

Post by fire488 »

SFC K wrote:What Andy said. :wink:

I personally would keep it stock and run it just for the nostalgia factor. You would be surprised with just upgrading to Lipo batteries how much performance increases with longer run times as compared to nickel or nimah batteries.

A lot of information can be found in the pages here to give you ideas on which way to proceed with upgrades down the road.

On another note, if you still have your manual, look at all the parts that were broken from the Godzilla attack. :mrgreen: Most parts are still readily available on line for cheap. EBay, you can get a whole new chassis for under 20 shipped. It shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg to get it back in stock form running again. The body will be your largest purchase to bring it back to it's glory days. Most likely you will only need the main body and window insert depending on where the damage occurred.

I hope this helps! There are plenty of smart folks here to help you out along the way.
I am going to keep this one as stock as possible except i would like to upgrade components that tend to break during normal use whatever they may be. I will definitely upgrade the battery system as well as the radio. I was thinking I would get this clod back in shape and purchase another one to modify, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I have a ton of reading to do before I make my final decisions. I'm sure I will need some help/ advice along the way and see that all of that is right here. Thank you very much for the advice!

fire488

Post by fire488 »

Wow! I started to disassemble the two drive train trans-axles and found more cracked parts. I am now at a crossroads here. I will need to replace almost every single housing as well as many suspension related components. what to do now??? It has become painfully obvious that there was pre-existing damage that was not related to the dog incident. It is apparent that some of the plastic components are just not strong enough for normal use. I may have done some light jumping with it but I know that I did not go crazy with it. I may have to thing about a stronger chassis and suspension. Any ideas?

132NHAF

Post by 132NHAF »

Hey Fire, if you will take the time to request access to the BST area (a technicality) you can post a thread requesting stock parts. A lot of members here, me included, have a bunch of stock stuff sitting around with no real use for it. You may find people giving you some good deals. I just dropped a stock chassis in the trash the other day because it wasn't worth listing it, but I haven't taken that trash out yet...........
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

fire488

Post by fire488 »

132NHAF wrote:Hey Fire, if you will take the time to request access to the BST area (a technicality) you can post a thread requesting stock parts. A lot of members here, me included, have a bunch of stock stuff sitting around with no real use for it. You may find people giving you some good deals. I just dropped a stock chassis in the trash the other day because it wasn't worth listing it, but I haven't taken that trash out yet...........
I see a firefighter helmet as your avatar....I just recently retired last February. Anyway, I am interested in that, but I need so many parts replaced at this point. i may have to start looking into kits now.

thanks for the info.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

fire488 wrote:Wow! I started to disassemble the two drive train trans-axles and found more cracked parts. I am now at a crossroads here. I will need to replace almost every single housing as well as many suspension related components. what to do now??? It has become painfully obvious that there was pre-existing damage that was not related to the dog incident. It is apparent that some of the plastic components are just not strong enough for normal use. I may have done some light jumping with it but I know that I did not go crazy with it. I may have to thing about a stronger chassis and suspension. Any ideas?
The stock chassis is plenty strong enough. The parts that typical break are the axle tubes and the C's that connect to the hub. Bearings is a number one upgrade too that a bunch of us failed to bring up, so get a bearing set if you do not have one. Seeing you have to take the whole thing apart it will save you time.

Other than the axle pieces, in stock form with lipos, the truck is pretty durable pending you don't hit a tree. Do you have some pictures of your truck you could share? It would help us help you as you start to dive into it.

Also, Brett C. from CPE has a lot of parts both upgrades and stock parts as well. He frequents the site often and can be very helpful in sourcing items. He is listed in the business section.

Send me your info and I will get you access to the BST that Scott talked about.
Jeff

fire488

Post by fire488 »

SFC K wrote:
fire488 wrote:Wow! I started to disassemble the two drive train trans-axles and found more cracked parts. I am now at a crossroads here. I will need to replace almost every single housing as well as many suspension related components. what to do now??? It has become painfully obvious that there was pre-existing damage that was not related to the dog incident. It is apparent that some of the plastic components are just not strong enough for normal use. I may have done some light jumping with it but I know that I did not go crazy with it. I may have to thing about a stronger chassis and suspension. Any ideas?
The stock chassis is plenty strong enough. The parts that typical break are the axle tubes and the C's that connect to the hub. Bearings is a number one upgrade too that a bunch of us failed to bring up, so get a bearing set if you do not have one. Seeing you have to take the whole thing apart it will save you time.

Other than the axle pieces, in stock form with lipos, the truck is pretty durable pending you don't hit a tree. Do you have some pictures of your truck you could share? It would help us help you as you start to dive into it.

Also, Brett C. from CPE has a lot of parts both upgrades and stock parts as well. He frequents the site often and can be very helpful in sourcing items. He is listed in the business section.

Send me your info and I will get you access to the BST that Scott talked about.
Thanks for that great info. I completely dismantled the truck and I only did that so i could see what it might need. it does need a ton of parts.
My chassis cracked where the 4 ball joint attachments for the 4 strut rods attach. I was looking at it and figure I may be able to design some metal strengthening battens for that area. I can take some pics of the broken parts and then update as I build and try to modify the areas of weakness.
The hardest thing for me is knowing exactly what to get at this point. I will keep on with it and try to lear along the way. i just don't want to waste money on things that i really dont need.
Thanks for all the help.

132NHAF

Post by 132NHAF »

Hey Fire,
I'm an industrial fire fighter. No getting cats out of trees or saving little old ladies from burning buildings for me. I work at an oil refinery so if there's a fire I do my best to keep the price of gas down. :mrgreen:
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

fire488

Post by fire488 »

132NHAF wrote:Hey Fire,
I'm an industrial fire fighter. No getting cats out of trees or saving little old ladies from burning buildings for me. I work at an oil refinery so if there's a fire I do my best to keep the price of gas down. :mrgreen:
Ah gotcha man. I was in a very busy city just across from Manhattan NY, so I had my share of fun. Glad to be retired now. Stay safe brotha!

fire488

Post by fire488 »

Some pictures of what I will be attempting to repair. There are many other broken parts, but I will go at them after I get the main pieces first.

Doesn't look too bad, but looks can be deceiving....
Before teardown.jpg
Well this is what happens when Clod Custer vs big dog...
Body.jpg
The ball joints attachments points cracked.
Chassis.jpg
They still seem to work. Even the battery is taking a charge. I need to change everything here though.
Control.jpg
I don't have a clue how this cracked.
Cracked Housing2.jpg
All 4 of these are either cracked or bent. I wish these were stronger.
Strut Rod.jpg
What do you all think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.