Lipo Repair

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Lipo Repair

Post by matt1ptkn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:41 pm

So this is apparently a taboo subject, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever attempted this: ? I know its dangerous and I'm NOT recommending it in any way, shape or form. I've recently attempted this with a delicate hand and redundant safety measures in place, and initial tests are indicating positive results. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has attempted this surgical procedure and if so, what are your thoughts on risk vs. reward?
Last edited by matt1ptkn on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Lipo Repair

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:09 am

Pretty amazing that you have the skills (and confidence) to do that.
Curious as to pack performance after that (before vs after).

All that said... I'd just get new lipo's if it were me.
because.... me-----> :explosion: <---- lipo with me trying to do work to it.... :shock: #-o

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 pm

While considering the dangers of working on Lithium batteries, my reasons for giving this a shot were that the battery's performance was good and I'm not in a financial position at the moment to purchase new batteries. The puffy-ness was interfering with hard plastic hold downs and driveshafts on 4wd models. I've put two race days on one of my "repaired" batteries with no noticeable performance losses... yet. I'm very curious about the longevity of the "repair" since I've heard that, more often than not, the puffy-ness returns and performance drops quickly. I felt confident enough to try it because I employed redundant safety measures in order to minimize the risks as much as possible - open, ventilated space; hand, eye and face protection; fire extinguishers and suppression on hand, etc. And don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending this; rather I'm interested in anyone else's experiences.
Last edited by matt1ptkn on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:30 pm

Its been about 8 months since I attempted to "repair" my puffy lipo batteries. Conclusion: Not worth it. I didn't experience any catastrophes, but one of the batteries has severely re-puffed and another has lost its oomph. One continues to be successful and in good condition. So while I feel that I've extended the life of these batteries, it just wasn't the quality of life I had hoped for. In the end, which was not too far from the beginning, having to keep an extra close eye on these batteries coupled with the mediocre success rate and eventual/inevitable demise of some, it just isn't worth the effort for an extra 8 months of questionable performance. Just buy new. :thumbsup:

At least now I know, and knowing is half the battle. :mrgreen:
-Matt

My Trucks