ESC / Lipo questions

Discuss all the facets of R/C electronics here.
SofaSloth
Approved Member

ESC / Lipo questions

Post by SofaSloth » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:08 pm

I am starting a new Clod project for fun. I always regretted selling my original Clod decades ago.

I now have a Bullhead kit as a starting point. I think a bunch of the stock pieces will be sold like the chassis and body since I’ll be running a stretched sicnme chassis and a more modern/longer truck body. I have a bunch of items on the way to use during the build.

I don’t want to run the stock Tamiya ESC either as I will probably be using Lipos too. I see a lot of people love the Hobbywing WP 860 (and a new 880 just came out), or the EVX2, or the Sidewinder 3 (can it safely handle dual brushed motors in brushed reverse mode?).

The other day I traded one of my trucks for a Mamba Monster X bundled with a brushless motor. I figured I could flip it and use the $ for more Clod accessories. Now I’m wondering if I should just sell the motor and keep the ESC to run in my Clod. If I read right, I could run any pair of brushed motors safely with the MMX. I already have it, and the Castle programming card & cable, why not just put it to use and never worry about brushed motor limits?

Are Gens Ace Lipos still a good go-to Lipo choice? I have never used this type of battery before. I always ran NiCD and NiMH batteries. I have 2 good chargers for all types of batteries already. With the MMX I’d have to go Lipo anyways.

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: ESC / Lipo questions

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:42 am

I'd use the mamba X.

I've previously used both the older mamba monster and mamba max pro in brushed mode and wired for dual motors and they both worked great. The mamba X should be even better since it has a more powerful BEC for running the stronger servo's you will likely be using.

Gens ace used to be good, I dunno if they still are. I use SMC a lot these days.
I just bought a brand call "Zeee" off of amazon, and they seem okay so far (and they were cheap!).
Only brand I really hate on is venom.

SofaSloth
Approved Member

Re: ESC / Lipo questions

Post by SofaSloth » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:29 pm

andymac0035 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:42 am
I'd use the mamba X.

I've previously used both the older mamba monster and mamba max pro in brushed mode and wired for dual motors and they both worked great. The mamba X should be even better since it has a more powerful BEC for running the stronger servo's you will likely be using.

Gens ace used to be good, I dunno if they still are. I use SMC a lot these days.
I just bought a brand call "Zeee" off of amazon, and they seem okay so far (and they were cheap!).
Only brand I really hate on is venom.
Thanks. While I could save $ by selling this combo and buying a cheaper ESC, it does seem to make sense to just keep it and use it. I have it already, and it should handle anything I throw at it. Plus I have the programming kit for it to change settings and upgrade firmware. I'll be using 2 of the high torque servos from CPE.

I'll take a look at SMC batteries too. Thanks for the tip.

I am just waiting on my order from CPE to ship since it has my servos, bearings, and tube braces. I need those bearings before I can start assembling things.