Building 6WD / 6WS truck, Need advice

Talk about your custom made one-of-a-kind builds, and also off-beat R/C stuff that you just don't see everyday.
JasonDog3

Building 6WD / 6WS truck, Need advice

Post by JasonDog3 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:46 pm

I'm fixin' to build a 6WD/6WS Clod. I got the chassis, and I got 3 beefy axles by Integy, with locked diffs. I will be plowing snow with this!

Each axle has a steering servo on it. Can I run all 3 steering-servos on one channel, using two Y-harnesses?

Also, each axle will have a brushed 80T 540 motor. I really want to power this thing with a a small sized (but heavy!) 12-volt Sealed Lead Acid Battery. What must I do in the ESC area to make this work? I really want to run 3 motors off of one ESC...

Thanks!

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Re: Building 6WD / 6WS truck, Need advice

Post by matt1ptkn » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:47 am

I'm sure that there are better answers, but my first thought for the ESC is a Traxxas EVX-2. They are rated to 16.8 volts and run two motors already. I figure a 3rd motor shouldn't be much more demanding. As for the servos, I'm not sure on the dual Y-harnesses, but its worth a shot. I think you'll either need a voltage booster, or a receiver pack to keep enough power to the servos, though. Good luck with the build and post some photos!
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

JasonDog3

Post by JasonDog3 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks. I Just checked with QuicRun, which is the ESC I have now, and they said it will work on SLA battery at 12 volts, with three motors, as long as I don't go over a 60A load. I think three 540s will be fine in that area.

weeb_beano

Post by weeb_beano » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:43 am

Hi there,
I propose a different path if you're up for it - parallelizing the connections to each motor on axle to its own speed control.
You can do this by building your own Y-harness for 3,4, or X number of connections as needed.
Just be sure to remove the RED cable from all but one of your ESCs so that the battery eliminator circuitry is not competing with each other.
Each motor gets its own battery, and you can really scale out pretty hard as needed. Imagine three brushless ESCs driving one brushless motor each. By scaling out with parallelizing the circuits it is possible.

As for the steering, you can do this as well. Build your own Y-harness- just look for futaba compatible J connectors and receptacles on ebay or amazon as needed. It is a lot cheaper to purchase them in bulk and crimp out your own sets.
For the Clod, just make sure that one of your servos is setup to rotate in a natural reverse direction, otherwise you will have to flip over one of the servo connections by 180 degrees. In my case, Futaba and Hitec servos just happen to rotate in reverse directions by default. You only need one servo to spin this way for front steering.

I also like to pack my weight towards the space between the mid and rear axles for better performance. This even works out okay when the truck is pulling a load.

I am actually writing a book about radio controlled cars and trucks in general. Here is a diagram that I whipped up detailing one of my 6WD conversions showing the wiring diagram:

Weight all the way in the back:

Hope this helps!