Comin' Back With a Wheely King

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Re: Comin' Back With a Wheely King

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:51 am

No video yet. The spur didn't last that long lmao. But seriously a lot of progress made with the truck. I loctited the set screws on the transmission and packed it with grease to get it all squared away. Got the motor and esc in and buttoned up. Took the door off the battery box and glued in some straps since my 7cell nimh and my 3s lipos are too long for the box. Came home from camping to a box that had my new wideners as well as my new set of wheels. I baked the tires off the original WK wheels because the center of the wheels were warping and the hexes were stripping. I put a set of RPM 2.2 Revolvers on it. The new wheels are much thicker so I had to run 20mm wideners but I had to use the lugnuts from the 25mm wideners to get enough thread engagement on the stub axle. The lugnuts fit the recess of the new wheels so perfectly you'd think I planned it that way. Finally got everything all buttoned up and I am in love. The 3800kv is about the same as my 15t maybe just a tad faster on the top end on 3s but on the bottom it's a beast. It will lift the front wheels at 1/4 throttle if I pin it. I ran it for about 10 minutes and couldn't stop smiling. Until the spur gear went :explosion: :lol: I must have had the mesh too tight because you can tell it got too hot. I have the parts for the Traxxas Stampede slipper retrofit so that will be the next item on the agenda. The last parts to be ordered this week are the new ring and pinion gears from an E-Savage. Even shimmed tight I am still getting slip from the ring and pinion in the rear due to the wear from the previous owner. After that I will get some more video. This will definitely be a 3s truck from now on. I like the power it had and couldn't imagine it being slower. Alright enough blah blah. Pics!

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:31 am

Didn't like sitting here knowing I had the parts to fix my truck and not actually fixing it so the slipper mod is now done. I drilled and tapped the original WK top shaft to accept an M4 thread bolt then cut a spacer to fit inside the bearing to keep the spur centered. I had to use a few washers to get tension set on the slipper. Will probably have to adjust it when I run it again. At least the slipper will help control the crazy wheelies.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:29 pm

Nice work! Can't wait to see it go in person..... bring lots of spares... :explosion:

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:06 pm

I have a few spares but not nearly enough lol.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:46 pm

Got the new ring and pinions installed today. The back set... :explosion: . You can see in the pic that they are worn half gone. I had the rear axle open a couple weeks ago and they weren't anywhere near this bad. I guess running 3s really took it's toll on the pot metal gears. Upgraded to a set of E-Savage gears and took the opportunity to re-pack the diff with grease. Got the programming card for the esc so I went in and made a few adjustments and took it out for a test drive. The difference in the axles, coupled with the slipper clutch, is remarkable. I have the slipper set to where it slips a couple feet at launch and there is zero slip anywhere else in the drivetrain. I am incredibly relieved to say the least. I have been throwing money at this truck every week since I got it and I finally feel like I am out ahead of it for once. I still want to do something about the flimsy rear steer lock outs (swore I wasn't going to run 4ws but it would be almost the same cost as the Hot Racing lockouts I was looking at) and I'd like to upgrade the center driveshafts but none of that is critical. Honestly I will probably stock up on spares for how the truck sits now and just enjoy it.
Part number for the ring and pinion gears for anyone interested.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:59 pm

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:53 am

Got a driveshaft upgrade tonight thanks to Andy. Also played around with mounting dual shocks.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:07 am

I would never have thought those would fit, but glad they did. :thumbsup:

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:47 pm

So I think I've mentioned before but I'm the type of person whose hands always have to be moving. I revived the rear steering lockout I came up with for my og Wheely King crawler build way back in the day. The larger inner washers fit around the drive cup to avoid binding. Had all the washers so it was free.99. Lol. I was having issues with the back of the truck wandering all over the place under power due to flex in the stock lockout and rear tie bar. I also replaced all the HPI rod ends on the lower links with a mixture of Revo and Jato rod ends to achieve my desired wheelbase. All said and done I managed to run TWO 3s lipos to LVC without any broken parts. I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:39 am

It's a miracle! ... :wink:
So what are your run-times now?

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:33 am

Here's how I did my rear lockout. It has a little flex in it, but I'm not running the power you are though!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:32 am

andymac0035 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:39 am
It's a miracle! ... :wink:
So what are your run-times now?
20ish minutes in medium cut grass running 21/90 gearing with my 10lb trigger finger lol. I probably can get closer to 30 minutes or more if I were on gravel. I was blasting around the local park since it's wide open with few things to hit and more importantly nothing to jump. SG, that lockout looks like the one Brett from CPE sells. I may make a tie bar to run between my knuckles to tie them together in conjunction with my current setup.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:28 pm

shadowfocus603 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:32 am
SG, that lockout looks like the one Brett from CPE sells.
I probably copied that then lol!

Your King is looking great!

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:02 pm

Thanks for the kind words SG. I think my current lockouts have a downside. I think it puts a little stress on the C-hub. Here's the result of a bad landing.
:explosion: :explosion: :explosion: :explosion: :explosion:
Thankfully I had a spare so it was a 5 minute fix.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:11 am

I did the machine washer thing with one of my Clods and same thing broke as your WK. The setup like mine has a tiny bit of flex which I think helps a lot. Plus I already had the parts to do it. You can buy lockouts from Hot Racing too i think. No idea what thet are like though.