Comin' Back With a Wheely King

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Re: Comin' Back With a Wheely King

Post by shadowfocus603 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:11 pm

I'm thinking I might try flipping the chassis back for a couple runs to see how it does. As it is I have to stay hard on the throttle in the air to have a hope of keeping the nose from dropping. I'm much more comfortable with a truck that flies tail down since it's easier to tap the brakes.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:17 am

Just a thought, but have you thought of using a small pack as a compromise?

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:05 pm

Went ahead and flipped the chassis back (easy enough to do) and shot some new video. Not entirely sure I like the wide angle, zoomed out effect of my gopro but it does the job. I have an 8.4v 5000mah nimh pack on order. Once it comes in I am going to go somewhere that's a little more spread out so I don't have to keep spinning circles while I film lol. I'll bring the jump from my last video with me because why not? Lol. How long til :explosion:

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:27 pm

That thing is looking pretty sweet!
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:08 am

Alright I need some input. I am torn on which direction I want to go for the body on this truck. I will be ordering it within the coming week and have gone back and forth about a dozen times already. I like the Grave Digger of course, as evidenced by my old Clod Pounder (my avatar) but I also like the Raptor Proline body in white. Kinda leaning towards the Proline right now because I just picked up an HPI Blitz SC that I am going to do a white Raptor on (not sure if Flotek or True Scale at this point) and I like the idea of having a theme with my trucks. What say ye all?
Digger body from the SMT10
Proline body (for the ProMT with a 10.8 wheelbase, which almost matches my current wheelbase perfectly
$$$ wise they will be about the same after I paint the Proline.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:45 pm

I'd vote White Raptor. That would make a great name too! 8)
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:33 am

So I have the Raptor body on order. Coming from MA so it should be here pretty quick. I got the 7 cell NIMH pack in and it makes a big difference. It wheelies on launch again with the new pack which makes me happy. I still want brushless but at the same time I feel like it's fast enough for now. I separated the front driveshaft yoke 2-3 times on bad landings but luckily I was able to pop it back together. What it tells me is I have reached the point where it has displayed a weak point so if I go more power it will keep breaking there but if I strengthen that it's likely to destroy a diff or the transmission, neither of which am I looking forward to. I still need to get out to somewhere that is more wide open with some natural dirt mounds. I picked up a pair of skate jumps which are fun but it just doesn't feel authentic to me for some reason. Alright enough rambling. I have a video encoding now and will try to get it uploaded to YouTube and posted by tomorrow.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 am

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:36 pm

We all know what a difference a body can make.
The whole black and white thing has kinda become a bug with me. Here is the motorcycle I am currently riding.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:18 am

After the proof of concept sway bars proved out through about a dozen runs, I figured it was time to finalize their shape and length and make them look semi-presentable.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:54 pm

Body looks good! I have some ideas on the swaybars to share with you, as those look good, but I think you could do even better. Use longer bar material, have them go the whole length of the 4-link... slide some link ends over them and use a longer link bolt at the axle ... so you can attach them there, at the link bolt... and since the link-end is just slid on there (instead of threaded) it won't bind. You know... like how driveshaft halves slide in and out. This would let you do away with the zip-ties. :)

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:44 pm

I'm picking up what you are laying down Andy. I will definitely be looking into that idea. I have a couple feet of rod left to make some longer bars.

Now where was it... I can never find that dang... oh wait here it is... :explosion:
First broken part lol.
There is very little material where it broke to begin with and I had 3-4 solid nose landings before this happened. It's honestly a miracle it didn't happen sooner. I am ordering the rear lockouts from Hot Racing this week so I will swap one of the rear knuckles to the front so that I won't have to buy knuckles right now. I got a good video for once too with the offending landing right at the end. I switched to a head mounted camera to get rid of the controller noise in the videos and add some stability and better tracking.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:42 am

Nicely done sir!!!! :explosion: :explosion: :explosion: :explosion: :explosion:

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:08 pm

So while I am waiting on my next batch of parts to arrive, I went ahead and monsterized the body by trimming out the wheel wells. I planned on doing this anyways but having downtime just expedited the process.
Also, I did some wheeling and dealing and got me a new toy. Anyone care to hazard a guess?

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:35 pm

Not able to post pics atm but got the wideners, axle mount for the servo, and the aluminum links from CPE mounted. What a difference. They aren't kidding when they say change one thing at a time. All of the changes coupled with 3s and I thought I was going to :explosion: I also went through the shocks and replaced the original chocolate syrup that was in them with with 10w fluid and couldn't believe how much smoother the shocks cycle. I may actually get by without replacing them now. My goal for this truck has evolved into making it as good as possible for as little as possible. I did realize when I ran it for the first time with the wideners that I must have bent the stub axles just enough to make the wideners wobble. Time for some GPM cvd's.