Candymans AR60 build

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Candyman
Approved Member

Candymans AR60 build

Post by Candyman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:51 am

Hi guys, its been a while since I was here, back in the day I built these:

But that was a very long time ago! I recently made a truck based on AR60 axles and im just about to start a clod chassis. So im sharing the AR60 project before I start a topic for the clod :)

Hope you all like it, say high if you remeber me from waaaaaaay back :lol:

Candyman
Approved Member

Re: Candymans AR60 build

Post by Candyman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:53 am

I saw a truck that someone made recently in a "car action" magazine, really liked the chassis design so I blatenly coppied it :D and then set about making all the pretty bits I have in my head. I like shiney bits, so if you like rough/scale looking crawlers, then I dont think your going to enjoy this much.

Ok, so I designed the chassis I liked in cad and printed it out, cardboard is always a good place to start in my opinion.

had a bit of a faff stretching it and making it the right length, I wanted it 350mm long so the chassis finished exactly on the wheelbase, in my opinion, this makes for a nice proportioned truck.

I sent my final design off to the good people at fibrelyte and they cut it out of half carbon, half fibreglass, so it looks like carbon but doesnt cost quite so much, as it was the 2 chassis plates were just under £100.

I bought some cheap alloy axles from asia tees, love the look of these, plus they come with gears, bearings, hubs etc which I needed as I have nothing AR60 based, I can always upgrade bits after. Got some revo rod ends, and started making some links!

started with some 12mm square bar and milled these chunky looking fellows, always tough doing 4 of one thing as you have to get them all to match! easy in a cnc, not so easy when your using a manual mill.

I was originally going to drill and tap the end of the links, screw in a fat M4 grub screw and then screw the rod end on that......... then I thought what happens if I screw the rod end on and it gets tight and im 90 degrees away from the angle I want, either have to back it off and be loose or tighten even more and risk striping the rod end. So, I decided to go all the way through and turn down some M4 screws and put them in form the inside, then wind on the rod end, get it straight and tighten the screw from the inside.

Candyman
Approved Member

Post by Candyman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:53 am

I have seen a couple of trucks like this using two yeti link mounts on the outside of the chassis, I like the look of this but

wanted to make something 1 piece and with a cleaner look. Started with a lump of 12mm thick ally and got the basic

shape right, with the holes drilled where I want them, this matches the shape of the chassis so it will sit flush against it.

Its always harder to make a pair of something like this not only does it have to be perfectly symetrical left to right, then

you need to make another exactly the same. So many hours of machining later..

nearly there, there is still some weight to come out the middle then a lot of smoothing off and polishing.

Mounts finished and polished, glad thats over, all easy bits now!

Made some chunky top links and trial fit everything up.

Candyman
Approved Member

Post by Candyman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:54 am

Im trying to build this truck to clodbuster ish dimensions as I like the proportions, so that’s 350mm wheelbase and

350mm width. Im going to run clodbuster wheels, the clodbuster hubs fit the 14mm hubs but it comes out 25mm too

narrow either side. Im making some adapters to fit the clod hubs (12.5mm each side) that will bring it upto the correct

width. Because I like to make my job hard, I don’t want to have the usual DIY solution of having 5 bits of threaded tube and

5 screws going through the outside of the wheel. I also don’t want to use the crappy tube nuts you get on most of the

adapters you see, I prefer nyloc nuts!

So I turned up some 12.5mm discs out of delrin then drilled/tapped them to m4, recess the middle to leave room for the

nut and then above that cut a T slot to accommodate my m5 T-screw that press into it leaving a thread on the other side

that I can attach a wheel to. The adapter I made up attaches to the clod hub from the back, this works here albeit a bit

fiddly but wouldn’t work with a traditional Clodbuster hub carrier as there MASSIVE :D . This setup puts a bit more strain

on the clod hub but its only 12.5mm out, and no more of a lever than running the wide proline wide clod wheels.

Got some beefy shafts.

Making the mount for the transmission, the Ax2 2-speed.

A bit chunky but I can always take some weight out of it later when Im sure I dont need to mount anything else off it. Quite

happy I got the shape to match the bottom of the chassis and mounts.

Candyman
Approved Member

Post by Candyman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:55 am

Onto the sway bars, nice clean design, big recess on the back to slide a nyloc M3 nut in without it sticking out the back

of the arm.

Using some 3mm piano wire, had to mill some tiny flats on it, first I had 3mm grub screws but ended up going to M4 grub

screws through the arms to clamp onto the flat on the piano wire. Using some brass top hat colars through the chassis to

space it off a bit.

test fit with the prop shaft in place and shock offered up.

Got some more 6mm tube for the middle of the sway bar so the chassis doesnt get squeezed at all when I tighten down

the sway bar levers.

Using one of the chassis spacers to mount the back of the battery tray, its an Axial tray I bought.

smoothed and rounded them off to look nice!

fits up something like that

Making the mount for the battery tray, trying to use the existing holes in the chassis rather than drill new ones.

Tray is quite light weight, I might make a delrin tray if this doesnt look strong enough

Candyman
Approved Member

Post by Candyman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:55 am

On to the radio tray... delrin is so messy!

some funny little mounts for it..

looks about right, again using the shock holes for now.

starting to look like something

add some lightness and polish

the front mount for the radio tray is coming off the middle of the tube that holds the sway bar.

like this bit, looks like a proper little bit you might buy!

Chrome rims, proline tyres

added an aerial mount

Candyman
Approved Member

Post by Candyman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:57 am

using proline body mounts, trimmed them to fit the chassis a bit better

Some of the shells have a narrow hood, so i made some spacers and a threaded part in the middle so you can adjust

where the mounts go according to how wide the front is.

the 50's chevy body has a real curved hood and needs the narrowest setup

Lightened the gearbox mount on the inside as it was a bit chunky.

Got a little tiny shift servo and the traxxas linkage from a summit i think. The horn is a different size spline so I had to cut

up the servo horn and fit it inside the traxxas one.

first I put a ball joint on both ends but the output from the gearbox spins freely so the whole thing just flopped around, I

dont know why I didnt think of that before!

So I cut a slot in it and fitted a little bar, the servo and lever are inline so now it only moves on 1 axis

test fit of electronics

Shift servo hides in there

Candyman
Approved Member

Post by Candyman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:58 am

Thats just about it, added a shell I painted about 5 years ago.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:24 pm

Wow! I don't know who you are, but you do stellar work! That rig is priceless!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Dustrbd1
Approved Member

Post by Dustrbd1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Awesome build.

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:10 pm

Sick build, you have great skill and good taste on your build, I also like your builds from the past very much

I look forward to see more from you 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)