My useless mud truck build

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
JHeitt142
Approved Member

My useless mud truck build

Post by JHeitt142 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:01 am

I spend a lot of time on youtube, and a lot of that time is spent watching mud trucks. I know the mega truck thing has kind of taken over but I wanted to stay more useless mud truck with this (that'll be obvious when you see the suspension :nana: )

The current body isn't going to stay, I came across this pic a few years ago and have always wanted to replicate it.

Now the closest I can find to start with is the Parma 34 Ford, so this won't be exact, and I have tractor tires!

The wheels are CPE pieces, tires are Clod dually's. They're too tall I think, but thats okay.

anyway, on with the pics!

Wheely King chassis and trans, SCX10 axles, CPE Mega truck wheels, Clod dually tires, Castle SCT 4600kv

Keep in mind NO detail work has been done yet, i've just been getting the mechanics of it all sorted out.

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Re: My useless mud truck build

Post by mrgrimm » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:54 am

So explain how the suspension (or lack thereof!) works...looks like you just got a solid link there instead of a shock?

Other than that I like the truck, I think the tires are good sized to today's standards - some of those guys are running absolutely huge tires!
Monster trucks rule :)

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:56 am

That is looking pretty cool! Looking forward to seeing the details added to it. I noticed that you locked the suspension on this. Does that help mud trucks? I'm a newbie when it comes to 1:1 mud trucks...
Jeff

JHeitt142
Approved Member

Post by JHeitt142 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:42 am

mrgrimm wrote:So explain how the suspension (or lack thereof!) works...looks like you just got a solid link there instead of a shock?

Other than that I like the truck, I think the tires are good sized to today's standards - some of those guys are running absolutely huge tires!
It is just that, links haha.

The usual 'southern mud trucks' are just leafs with huge blocks down to the axles, they don't seem to have any travel to speak of, the tires just do all the work. That is the plan here as well.

I'll vent the tires once I'm done painting the wheels and am ready to actually glue the tires on. They should provide the bit of give I'll need to keep the truck from tearing apart.

Once the ground thaws I'm just going to dig a pit around 8 inches deep, tires are 6" tall, and a good 6-8 feet long feet long, then i'll back fill it with the loose dirt and let the snow melt handle the rest.

I really just plan to drive it into the hole and try to make it through. like this

[youtube]yyLcXwJyQoc[/youtube]

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:53 pm

Interesting! Cool video too!
Jeff

JHeitt142
Approved Member

Post by JHeitt142 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:30 pm

I really dont get a lot of toy truck time outside of winter.. But i can dig the mud pit at work so i can still drive this one on occasion haha

JHeitt142
Approved Member

Post by JHeitt142 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:12 pm

Hey look im famous :nana: haha

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Cool! I saw that!
Jeff