DiggerXX Wheely King Build

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
DiggerXX
Approved Member

DiggerXX Wheely King Build

Post by DiggerXX » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:05 am

Guess I should post the build of my Wheely King here. It seems to get a lot of attention, and I really enjoy the truck, and continue to! This is all being pulled from an existing thread on RCMT.

I've had my King for a while now (Purchased 5-11-2012), just finally got a good enough job to start modding! As of right now, there are several directions I want to go, but we will see what happens first. I haven't upgraded anything as of right now, but am starting to, and decided to go ahead and start the thread.

Fresh out of the box after I got it.

As she sits now.

Bought this beauty off of eBay, good deal for a nice body. Supposed to be an HPI Bounty Hunter body with Crusader decals.

I thought someone shrunk my WK or something...

And I also bought this Parma Digger body that I have plans for..saw it at HobbyTown, they usually don't carry them so I grabbed it.

So, my plans right now are different tires and new aluminum King Shocks...slowly upgrading, this will be more of a slow build while I learn everything.

Anyone have any suggestions for the Crusader body? The Digger body seems like it would be alright...but I hate to not be able to ever put the Crusader body on, but at the same time lose function of my BH or a Digger body.

Alright. Update to my Wheely King! Got it all converted to the STRC chassis last night. Spend a few hours doing it as it was my first time taking it all apart.

Front and rear are off

Electronics out

Electronics mounted to the new Chassis

And it all put back together. (Don't mind the tires, I was testing the tread on the "Talon" tires. New ones to come soon.)

Overall, the truck is lighter and I think it looks better. Definitely more things to come in the future.

Here's what it will look like basically. I guess I need some Traxxas body mounts? These holes are really wide.

I'd like to know how people get these bodies to fit the Wheely King so well.

More parts, new shock mounts

Got my parts in and started installing.

Rear shock mounts

I went ahead and cut this for the new fitment.

And my body mounts came in so I can add those also.

Can't wait to see this done!

Got the rear shock mounts on, this is what it looks like at the moment.

Traxxas body on, and new shock mounts on.

Gonna make another post....
The Monster Factory Team Representative

DiggerXX
Approved Member

Re: DiggerXX Wheely King Build

Post by DiggerXX » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:14 am

Got my Traxxas tires and here is where I'm at so far. Just gotta get the longer driveshafts cut and in, and space out my upper links/do what was mentioned above.

Bounty Hunter

Curse Body

These new links are longer, which makes the truck lower as well. I have enough to convert it to a 4 link truck as well.

Also ordered a front mount servo plate from Level3RC, and I am very happy with how fast they got it to me, only took a day.

Still need to get the servo mounted and some more cap screws. I'm replacing all of those little C-Clip things with cap screws since they are easier to deal with.

Alright, here's another update to the King. The 4 Wheel Jamboree is here this weekend, and I am going tomorrow, so I decided that I really need to get the truck done, and all of my parts came in yesterday and today.

I got my new servo plate mounted and ready to go. I will be using the stock servo, until I can get a second one and a new Radio to set up 4 Wheel steer.

Untitled by officertyler, on Flickr

Also got a delivery from The Monster Factory, Terry did an amazing job on this body, I love it!

Ripped out the old steering set up and the un-needed parts. Got this new set up using a new link, and an old link for right now.

That set up works well, needs tweaking, but I did some body off test runs, and made some small adjustments, runs as it should. Here are more photos of the truck. I didn't photograph it, but I found a way to mount custom bodies, using upside down crawler king mounts, I stuck some velcro to it and the Raminator body, works perfectly! Here are some photos.

Yes, I did use the stock HPI Mud Thrashers, they look better with this body as they are larger than the Monster Jam tires, so they fit better. More planned mods are a custom 4 link set up (already have the other links, just need a mount), larger motor, new ESC, new Radio/Receiver for 4 Wheel Steering. Preferably a Spektrum DX3S...unless someone else has another suggestion that is just as good.

Time to convert to 4 link and 4 wheel steer

Tires are backwards...I know

New, more powerful servo was ordered form Brett and CPE since I actually broke the saver on the weak HPI stock servo

Bought some upper link mounts from a member on here! They are awesome and I am currently doing the 4 link conversion right now!

Also purchased a new Ground Pounder Radio and Receiver and got that installed. This Radio is better for when I set up my 4 Wheel Steer!

Alright. I got the new 4 link setup in place, using custom links and the mounts I got today. Looks good. I will need to go ahead and get the rear servo mount ordered up...since I removed the 3 link setup, it required removal of some parts that held those rear wheels in place and kept them from turning..so now they are free to move.

4 link setup. by officertyler, on Flickr

4 link setup. by officertyler, on Flickr

EDIT 8/5/2013

New Video added.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFBvRoJyPKs

4ws finished, 4 link convert finished, and new Hot Racing Internal Spring shocks added. Still one of my favorite WK photos.

Another change in it's life, clod tires and larger bodies.

Bought a Firebolt motor for it, should bump up the power.

Received the Clod adapters from CPE today!

Of course I slapped em on before I got my motor done. Lol

The result is awesome! I love the look!

A look that I actually miss and might go back to later. Sold this Digger body and shouldn't have, but I'll get another one made sometime, either "Spooky" scheme Digger or #20 debut scheme.

DSCN3782 by officertyler, on Flickr

DSCN3793 by officertyler, on Flickr

DSCN3796 by officertyler, on Flickr

DSCN3800 by officertyler, on Flickr

DSCN3790 by officertyler, on Flickr

DiggerXX
Approved Member

Post by DiggerXX » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:16 am

And should be the final "catch up" post to get us up to date.

Decided to move on to brushless!!

OK. Parts are coming in! Going brushless with her! Decided this system was the best choice for my truck and based from reviews its good.

Stripped the old ESC and motor. Ready for the new stuff as soon as I can get my metal gears. Should be here tomorrow.

Body has also arrived, so I can't wait to get home and check it out!

Had to update my RAM body.

And this is where we are today!

Alright. Been a while since I've updated, so it's overdue! I did a fresh rebuild on the Wheely King to prepare it for the Bigfoot Open House this weekend. Trigger King RC is hosting a race there, so I wanted to take it out and see what she can do.

Basically I ended up stripping the main parts down, cleaning, and putting them back together making sure everything is tight. The brushless system is in, still needs some tweaks but works well for now. I need to grease the new gears in the Transmission though. First thing was swapping back to the Traxxas Monster Jam Stampede tires and wheels. The clod tires are just too heavy for the current axle setup in the truck. These make it much lighter and provide IMO more scale look.

Image20141006_161142 by officertyler, on Flickr

I originally had an idea for the new theme of the truck (not telling in case someone else wants to take it), but didn't have time to get the body wrap done that I needed, but the 4-link bars are still painted blue with Plasti-Dip.

Image20141007_191029 by officertyler, on Flickr

Bought a Pro-Line Ford Raptor body from my LHS for it and trimmed it up.

Image20141006_164240 by officertyler, on Flickr

Painted the body with a Duratrac Metallic Blue backed with Tamiya Silver

Image20141007_183937 by officertyler, on Flickr

Modified the grille decal, and got the body velcro mounted to the truck.

Image20141008_142752 by officertyler, on Flickr

After I decided I ran out of time to do my original idea, I pulled out my retro style Bigfoot Decals and figured why not make a RaptorFoot body? Haven't seen it done yet. So here it is.

Image20141009_115005_Richtone(HDR) by officertyler, on Flickr

And sitting next to my Firestone Bigfoot Clod they are both ready for the Open House event tomorrow.

Image2014-10-09 12.29.29 by officertyler, on Flickr

Here's a video as well

[video=youtube;MvA7dvFop2Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvA7dvF ... XG8iLBXURQ[/video]

Fatcatcustomz
Business Member

Post by Fatcatcustomz » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:01 am

Truck has came a long way Tyler. I dig they look of it now. 8)
Jugg1~Diablo

Check out Justin's wraps, for all your body wrapping needs!
https://www.facebook.com/JustinsWraps/

DiggerXX
Approved Member

Post by DiggerXX » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:10 am

1Badclod85 wrote:Truck has came a long way Tyler. I dig they look of it now. 8)

Thanks! I love it, just a fun truck to mess around with and build, always so easy to change parts too. Thinking about changing the Wheelbase too, either 11" or possibly 12 1/4". Any opinions?

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Truck looks great! You really have transformed it into a bad arse looking MT. 8)
Jeff

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:50 pm

I've seen your pics on FB.... It looks good throughout all of its transformation.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:18 am

DiggerXX wrote:
1Badclod85 wrote:Truck has came a long way Tyler. I dig they look of it now. 8)

Thanks! I love it, just a fun truck to mess around with and build, always so easy to change parts too. Thinking about changing the Wheelbase too, either 11" or possibly 12 1/4". Any opinions?
Looking at the last pics, I was definitely going to say that with that body a shorter wheelbase seems in order.

Really like how the body came out BTW! :thumbsup: =D>

DiggerXX
Approved Member

Post by DiggerXX » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:18 am

I appreciate the good comments guys! I didn't realize that they had two sizes on the Raptor body. lol. With these tires, definitely shorter/wider wheelbase, she loves to roll over.

DiggerXX
Approved Member

Post by DiggerXX » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:58 pm

Tiny little update on the Wheely King. Still waiting on my new 4 links to get here. Messed with my Hot Racing shocks again, swapped to the medium rate springs in all 4, performs a lot better than before.

Bought another Level3RC Center Servo mount and got rid of the offset mount I had on here. I'm now able to relocate my rear shocks to where I really want them.

Image20150116_120343 by officertyler, on Flickr

Added some headers from a 1/10 scale New Bright Monster Jam truck for looks.

Image20141218_143214 by officertyler, on Flickr

Image20141218_014913 by officertyler, on Flickr

Bari hooked me up with this Max-D body, fits the truck pretty well

Image20150103_154901 by officertyler, on Flickr

During testing I broke a steering knuckle, first plastic part I've broken on the truck.

Image20150113_174531 by officertyler, on Flickr

Image20150120_133223 by officertyler, on Flickr

Ordered a new set that night and got that taken care of

Image20150121_230125 by officertyler, on Flickr

And here's where she sets now. Performance wise, she runs pretty well. Just need some sway bars for sure, and a little more width.

Image20150121_232152 by officertyler, on Flickr

I've also had a ton of questions regarding the modifications I have made to this truck, so I made an in depth video explaining all of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOH-qYJ ... XG8iLBXURQ

[youtube]fOH-qYJUExo&list[/youtube]

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:04 am

I fixed your vid-links and added a preview window for you.
Nice work on the wheely king! :thumbsup:

Skinner
Approved Member

Post by Skinner » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:02 am

Hats off to you!! That's one bad king!!
5b baja-lx2e-clodbuster-mcx2 & more!!

~Pat~

DiggerXX
Approved Member

Post by DiggerXX » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:36 pm

andymac0035 wrote:I fixed your vid-links and added a preview window for you.
Nice work on the wheely king! :thumbsup:
Thanks for fixing that!
Skinner wrote:Hats off to you!! That's one bad king!!
I appreciate it!

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:16 am

Nice video and very thorough on your build, but I was hoping to see some jumps and it moving too. :wink:
Jeff

DiggerXX
Approved Member

Post by DiggerXX » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:51 am

SFC K wrote:Nice video and very thorough one your build, but I was hoping to see some jumps and it moving too. :wink:
Working on that, as soon as I ever get my 4 links in I'll rig up a tripod for the phone and get some video.