GPMaxx

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
andymac0035
Administrator

Re: clod pounder maxx something

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:13 pm

=D> Now that's movin! :thumbsup:

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:31 am

andymac0035 wrote:=D> Now that's movin! :thumbsup:
And total distance in 5 minutes was 1.0 mile. :shock:
Jeff

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:52 pm

Changed the gearing for another run. Went with 66t spur and 21t pinion vs the 72/17. Did get a slight increase but unfortunately I still didn't have enough room to get to top speed. Also having some hopping from the back wheels under power that I think is due to removing the sway bar. Close to the end I hit something and did a nice cartwheel. Tore my 3s battery apart and broke 4 of the rod ends on the lower links. Amusingly enough the shocks stayed together since I threatened to replace them.

New record, 41.5mph

Had to duct tape my battery back together after the wreck.

New fan / heat sink assembly just for the speed runs.

Picked up a new servo on ebay for cheap. Love poorly translated labels.

Mystery Servo!

Last edited by Irio - esos on Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Built a no articulation set of sway bars using 5/32 music wire and aluminum cantilevers. This was to help stop the high speed wheel hop.

Also found a nice big parking lot at the Fort Wayne War memorial Coliseum. Plenty of room to get up to top speed. Not quite what I wanted but respectable enough.

Almost 2 miles run non stop and the motor was decently cool, that heat sink and fan work well.
Last edited by Irio - esos on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Being able to watch the truck at high speed without really worrying about obstacles let me see what was going on with the wobble too. Turns out that even though my tires are strapped, they're still ballooning. The rear tires take turns ballooning and the open diff passes the difference back and forth. So it kind of see saws one side to the other.

So options to get more speed now are:

1. Faster motor castle 5700 or something similar that handles 3s. I'm running the old two motor emaxx trans. I could also modify the other
side I'm not using for a 1/8 scale motor and 6S voltage.

2. Strap the tires further for more carcass control.

3. Lock the diff / or fill it with a high viscosity oil.

4. Better battery than a 30c 3s.

Kind of want to push the limits and see just how fast I can run a solid axle MT. Also kind of want to hit a ramp at 50+ too ~

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:14 pm

So I went back down in gearing to the 17/66 set up so I could have something to bash with again. I kept destroying rear drive shafts every third run or so with the plastic emaxx HD shafts so I bought a junfac shaft and drilled out the yoke so I could get it on the emaxx 6mm output.

First Run - set screws wouldn't hold it to the emaxx trans, just kept backing off so I put a bolt through it instead of the set screws.

Second Run - Sheared the pin that runs through the joint at the axle, the non modified side.

Third Run - Destroyed the block inside the joint on the non modified side.

I'm sorely let down by this development, but now i'm wondering if its because I have no slipper clutch. Are you other shaft guys running a slipper thats actually working and thats why you're able to keep your drive shafts intact?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:08 pm

When I had my wraith buster the slipper was on it and adjusted so it actually slipped... as opposed to just locking it down.

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:42 am

Found a replacement it turns out, think i'll try this and then see about removing the two speed and maybe removing the play from the bottom output gear.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... d=0CHoQuSQ

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:28 am

Turns out that clutch plate works, top shaft doesnt. So I got a revo top shaft with the metal gears and went ahead and did the single speed conversion. I still think the slop in the bottom output gear wasn't doing me any favors in terms of breaking parts.

Also did the slipper disk mod. Instead of using the little pads that comes with the kit you can put a tmaxx brake disc in it. Supposedly lasts forever and helps insulate the spur gear from the heat.

Finally took the front axle apart too and replaced the ring and pinion. Guess this is why it was skipping.

Best part of this is that with the clutch conversion I can now use revo gears. The smallest spur I could get on before was a 66T. Now I can go all the way down to something like a 33T if I want to continue speed runs.

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Re: GPMaxx

Post by Irio - esos » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:29 am

Oh, changed the title of the thread to give the truck a real name~

Irio - esos
Approved Member

Post by Irio - esos » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:09 pm

Geared it back down so I could play in the snow. Turns out it floats about like a stock clod on loose powder.

You can see all the snow stuck to the chassis. Bare aluminum tends to do that~ On the bright side no heat problems what so ever when your entire truck is a heat sink packed with snow!

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:19 pm

=D> :thumbsup: :thumbsup: =D>

JHeitt142
Approved Member

Post by JHeitt142 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:09 pm

I like the tires, they look neat like that.

also, this thing is ridiculous!