A new project "Superbeast"

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Steve C
Approved Member

Re: A new project "Superbeast"

Post by Steve C »

Chassis is done :) Spent the day doing the headers then lots of sanding and cleaning. Hit it with some etching primer and then shoot it with some hammer silver. Gonna let it cured up for a day or two then start putting the axles and trans and all the goodies under it.

I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

I'm usually not a fan of (heavy) tube chassis' ... but dayum! that came out really good! 8)

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

Thanks Andy. I should have some pics of it as a roller soon. I got it up on the axles and new tires/wheels and all on it now but just waiting for a few other parts before updating again. It's a big ol boy that's for sure. Wheelbase is 17", width with the tribute wheels on the digger axles is 17". OAL of frame including the rear build in portion I made is 21". Frame itself is 2.7lbs as pictures. Guessing finished weight when done and ready to drive will be around 11-12lb range. Should handle it no problem though with the running gear I have for axles and trans. Plus plan to go with Mamba Monster X and 2200kv brushless 1/8 scale set up so should be fun. It's sitting next to my King Sling clod right now and it actually kind'a dwarfs it lol :)
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

A lot more progress on project "Superbeast" over the past week. After finishing building the chassis I built some links out of solid 1/4" 6160 aluminum stock, drilled tapped for alloy 8/32 rod ends, then polished them so those are done now. Went with HPI Savage shocks and got some progressive rate springs for them. By modifying some Bully 2 12mm hexes I was able to go with Tributes and Firestorms which give it a 17" width using the large offset adapter which works perfect with the 17" wheelbase and 21" OAL chassis specs I built into it. Built my own sway bar for the rear of the truck. Body is mounted and trimmed but still needs to be cleaned up on edges. New Iwata airbrush should be here next week so soon as that gets here I'll start doing some airbrush work on the body then so looking fwd to that.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C »

Getting closer to having project "Superbeast" running. Just finished up airbrushing the body recently now. Still have to get the electronics (brushless 2200kv motor and Monster X ESC) then have the driveshafts made, but getting closer to the end of the build.