Michigan Ice Monster SCX10

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Michigan Ice Monster SCX10

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:52 pm

So I finally started my Michigan Ice Monster build. I have been wanting to build this truck for what feels like forever and and finally got a chance to get everything together. The whole project started with this slider.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-RC-Car-Fr ... 2749.l2649
I powered it with the same Hackmoto 17t motor and Hobbywing 1080 esc I am using in my Wheely King to make it fun to race them if someone comes over and wants to run a truck. Also, a 17t brrushed motor, even on 3s, is less likely to :explosion: any parts. The axles came locked so I ordered all the parts to build two unlocked diffs straight from Axial. I used wax ear plugs in lieu of grease in the diffs to provide a heavy but not quite locked diff action. With that sorted, I filled the shocks with 10w oil.
As you can see in the pics, every piece of the truck is aluminum or carbon fiber. The gears in the transmission are steel and everything came greased. The only thing I will have to do is go back and use blue loctite on everything for peace of mind. I threw my stock Wheely King tires on it for a function test in my parking lot then trimmed up the body and got here.
I am using the 1980 Chevy body from Proline that is meant for the E-Revo. The wheelbase matches the SCX10 almost to the letter. I have a lift kit coming as there is not enough room for the suspension to cycle, especially with the JConcepts wheels and tires. I again matched what I have on my Wheely King, choosing Tribute wheels and Renegade tires in blue compound. For this truck I threw in some blue beadlock rings and will be detailing the wheels out with some paint work once the truck is done.
I have a couple sets of Michigan Ice Monster decals on order from MCI. I ordered two sets because I intend to do a display body. The majority of parts are either here and installed or set to be delivered in the coming week. The paint is en route and I am hoping to get a warm day to shoot the body sooner than later. Enjoy.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Re: Michigan Ice Monster SCX10

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:54 am

A little more work done. Widened the track width and got the steering set to how I want it. It has steering for days, and enough servo to utilize every mm of throw. Still waiting on the lift kit to finish the chassis. The body paint will be here soon, after which it's finding a warm enough day to paint (or somewhere I can paint inside). I got the decal sheets that I ordered from MCI so that's another piece of the puzzle down.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:14 am

I look forward to seeing this truck in person. :thumbsup:

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:15 pm

You'll be one of the first to see it Andy lol. I got my lift kit for it today. Not as straightforward an install as one might expect and there was a lot of trial and error with geometry and hardware as it came with no hardware or instructions but it's all done for the time being. I need to trim some screws and replace a couple others as well as drill a few holes to tweak the upper link geometry. The wheelbase and track width, as well as the body height, are bang on perfect. I may be able to finish it up by next weekend if I can get a day to do some painting.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:28 pm

I remember this 1:1 truck, and this one looks just as amazing so far!
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:51 pm

I got the body painted and the decals on. Also painted up the planetary covers and detailed them up a bit. Not going for super scale appearances but this truck is one of my dream builds so I may as well may it look good right?

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:44 pm

Looks great. Being a lifelong Michigan guy myself that was always one of my favorite trucks growing up back in the day.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:25 pm

So I am contemplating a retro replica body for my Wheely King because this truck just makes the 'King look downright shabby by comparison.
I absolutely could not be happier with the way this truck has turned out. I am waiting on the new motor to ship so I can get a first run video of it.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:17 pm

Installed some proper sway bars on the Ice Monster tonight. The front and rear cross members already had some provisions that I was able to re-purpose for the bars. After running zip ties and steel rod on the Wheely King for so long it feels odd to have proper sway bars lol. I need to go fetch some threaded rod to make some longer links for the sway bars but other than that they work a treat. Too bad we just got almost a foot of snow so I can't go out and test them. In the pics you can also see the SMT-10 shocks I installed which got the ride height and stance on point.

gritsngreens1
Approved Member

Post by gritsngreens1 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:44 am

Nice looking truck!

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:20 pm

Oh wow, that is awesome =D>

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:10 pm

So it's been a bit since I've updated my threads so here goes. This truck is mostly done. I need to get a little more speed out of it but I don't really have space for more pinion. The solution? I will be ordering overdrive gears for the axles. I am hoping that will bring the speed more inline with the speed of my Wheely King (if you remember these trucks are being built to compete with one another). In other news, I swapped to a set of alloy AR60 axles to get better width and steering geometry. I also fabbed up my own lift kit plates to A.) set the link geometry the way I want it and B.) eliminate an interference Issue I was having thanks to the combination of lift kit and 550 motors. I found that on heavy compression my suspension felt like it was binding. I traced it to the upper link position and found that by running the links parallel it eliminated the issue. This of course put one of the links in interference with the motor so I made new plates and built shorter front upper links. It's probably not an ideal solution but it works for me. I also got my sway bars finished up with proper end links. Finally I got tired of having servo issues so I went all out with a waterproof Savox servo with 444oz of torque and steel gears. I will probably end up needing a BEC but the Hobbywing esc hasn't had any issues thus far at 7.4v so I will wait and see what bashing it shows.
Ialmost forgot.Looking at the last pic you can see the driveshaft angles are pretty steep. I will end up flipping the transmission in the future and reversing the motor to eliminate the issue but they do move freely as is with no bind.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:45 am

Love it! I still have my "Return of the Monster Trucks" VHS, which is where I was introduced to the Michigan Ice Monster.

I have often wondered why Axial "designed" the SCX10 with such extreme angles on the drive shaft joints. Mine is stock with similar angles to yours which causes some rubbing on the links under extreme articulation.
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:55 am

My situation is worsened by running the ar60 axles which are wider and offset opposite of the transmission.