Wheel King Tuber (s?)

If it uses driveshafts and straight axles, discuss it here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
theblazer24
Approved Member

Wheel King Tuber (s?)

Post by theblazer24 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:20 am

Well in 2013, I decided i wanted to build a Wheely King tuber with a Traxxas GD body and wheels, started building a frame with the body, and then ordered the WK drive-line on ebay. It was out of 1/4 tubing, and as you may have guessed, it was a mess. lol, the tubing was way too big and heavy, the measurements were ok at best, and it was extremely top heavy, welds were bad, and handled like crap, :P

Started a CRD chassis with an actual design plan in around 2014ish, got half done, then it sat on the shelf till now

for the past couple months I have wanted to make a low CG chassis, and decided to get the CRD off the shelf and back in the shop. my 2014 welds looked like crap, thankfully i'm half ok now :P So I cut off the old cradle and redid one, kinda lightweight but wide enough for the battery to fit in it aswell.

Driveshaft angle is bit crazy under compression, but i think i can make it work hopefully, if not ill make more 4link mounts :P

Would like to run Jconcept wheels and tires possibly, but for now might stick with stock clod or TRX monster jam

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Re: Wheel King Tuber (s?)

Post by matt1ptkn » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:01 pm

I admire your persistence and I think both chassis, despite any cons, look darn good. I hope to make a similar attempt someday. Keep up the good work!
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:51 pm

As a Wheely King guy myself I am totally in for the ride. A tip on your 4 links. Ideally you want them parallel and the same length top and bottom. I think your geometry on the links is what's causing the yoke to rise so much under compression.

theblazer24
Approved Member

Post by theblazer24 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:24 am

Thanks guys!

Was going to do a different route with the 4links, but was having clearance issues, lol

I actually kinda threw it together and had it out tonight in the snow :)
Handles pretty good, has a locker in the back, open up front, was on the Trx tires
The main issue is the The North American beaver has a big tail Traxxas radio I had to use because my 2.4 was not binding
The weak Trx radio would cause the motor to reverse if you got far away from the truck, and the trans don't like that lol :explosion:
Had it on a Toro/Leapord brushless system, Hitec servo, and a 2S

Here s a couple pics from yesterday,
with Traxxas MJ tires

And stock clod tires/rims, with the Goldberg Body

theblazer24
Approved Member

Post by theblazer24 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:15 pm

Quick video from earlier today, needs stiffer swaybars, and to re position the rear shocks, but nothing broke, just a bolt came out on the top 4 link :explosion:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:18 am

Great video and job on the build! R/C looks so much cooler in slow-mo. 8)

theblazer24
Approved Member

Post by theblazer24 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks!, right now i'm tore between painting it Blue and running a SUD body, or Black, lol. Goal is to use it in a Mud Truck comp, then put clod sized tires on and run with the big boys. Also might try and semi lock the front diff, and for Clod tires, i'm thinking of Jconcepts rims, and either Renegades, or PL Destroyers?

theblazer24
Approved Member

Post by theblazer24 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:56 pm

so, uh slight change of plan, Got JC renegades and Tribune wheels, and I have a GD body, so I thought it would be a great idea to build a GD7 replica :P, After a test run with the CRD I decided it weighted to much for the poor trans and diffs, so grabbed the stock sideplates and painted them green and slapped them on.

The CG is higher now, but after a few test runs i think its pretty good (at-least in the conditions i've been driving in)

Fabbed up some metal parts (4link tabs cause im too lazy to make new 4 links, Wheely Bar) Now i need to think of body post,

Here's the body with some poorly Photoshopped paints on the side, trying to decide what paint ill do :P

I think for now i might keep the 2.2s on it, with a Traxxas body, to keep less stress on the trans/diffs