My collection so far...

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
percymon
Approved Member

Re: My collection so far...

Post by percymon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:44 am

Sixtys Guy wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:40 pm
percymon wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:30 am
there's been a few parts failures on the Bruiser clones after 10-15 hours running. Do look very good value for money though !
What are the reported failures Percy? I've had about 10 minutes run time only in mine while I get the body sorted.
I suspect you know most of the weak spots...

loose screws, some loose even after using thread lock ?
some reported as having no lubrication in drivetrain - bone dry
some reported as no oil/lube in the shocks
some reports of not being able to lock the diffs, even with the Tamiya locking screw pin (poor alignment of casing/internals)
tyres pretty hard, ditto the suspension but removing one leaf helps
steering link is very long and sloppy - some call it character, other want something more accurate and 'modern'
if you got a battery pack supplied, it contains 2 18650 li-ion cells, it is not a traditional li-po pack despite the external labelling

latest failure is a diff bevel gear - this was on an example with locked diff - it was the rear of the bevel gear that failed (where it engages with the axle through pin) and not chewing of the gear teeth, suggesting the alloy just couldn't cope with the torque through the propshaft - circumstances of failure aren't known, so the truck could have been hung up on a larger tree root or similar. Perhaps the cross pin in the back of the bevel gear needs to b a smidge longer, or the casting was a little thin in the area of failure.

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:45 am

I should add that i don;t follow the discussion on RC10 forum, so there could be other issues over there (albeit i suspect some posters are on multiple forums )

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:34 pm

percymon wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:44 am
I suspect you know most of the weak spots...

loose screws, some loose even after using thread lock ? yes, lots of loose screws!
some reported as having no lubrication in drivetrain - bone dry I haven't had the tranny apart, but can say the front diff had plenty of red sticky grease in it
some reported as no oil/lube in the shocks yes, very little oil. I suspect it leaked out! I didn't bother refilling
some reports of not being able to lock the diffs, even with the Tamiya locking screw pin (poor alignment of casing/internals) Yes, found this. The rear was fine, but the pin wouldn't go in the front due to misalignment. I had to strip it to put the pin in
tyres pretty hard, tyres almost like plastic, although I can't remember what original blackfoot tyres are like so they could be similar
ditto the suspension but removing one leaf helps i have removed one leaf and the pen springs on the shocks, but it's still stiff. I don't mind though, lifts a wheel just like a real leaf sprung Toyota!
steering link is very long and sloppy - some call it character, other want something more accurate and 'modern' yep, I have relocated the servo to the front. Much better.
if you got a battery pack supplied, it contains 2 18650 li-ion cells, it is not a traditional li-po pack despite the external labelling lol, I wondered what was going on there. It was really light and only lasted about 10 minutes. I actually briefly tried to open the case to see what was inside.
Can also add;
* the lack of trim or throw on the third channel. I thought I had it adjusted perfectly, but gave it a short test run the other day and the servo doesn't like being in 2wd high. Feels like it needs to be trimmed.
* the esc is a bit of a joke. Looks and feels cheap. I binned it.
* the switch for the esc is mounted on the outside of the electrics box, then the wires have been soldered from the switch to the esc inside the box. So there is no way to fully remove the top of the box without cutting the esc wires. I reused the switch, but soldered the wires to a 2 pin plug so I can disconnect it.
* the servo savers are the worst I have ever seen. They have a few mm of slop in them.
* the rear body pins have a machine thread, not self tapping like the real Bruiser. The size of the thread is too small for the holes in the plastic mounting piece, so the don't actually screw in, they are just jammed in and pull out easily.
* the instruction manual has the pictures of screws on the left hand side of the page like a Tamiya manual. Except some of the thread lengths are wrong and even the thread type. Ie what screw the instructions say is in a particular spot may not actually be that screw.

Apart from that's it's great :lol:

I see a few people on other forums have suggested that these clones are somehow approved by Tamiya. I just can't see it.

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:36 pm

percymon wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:03 pm
I think my Vajra/Vanquish hybrid will be next one to go

followed by a Kyosho Pegasus project

The latter is more toy grade, but an interesting little project for someone as i've bought a new body and wheels - $30 is about what it's all worth lol!
The Vanquira hybrid lasted 15 minutes in the sales section on TamiyaClub - already on route to its new owner (they got a bargain, i could have sold just 5 parts from it for the price i sold it but better to let it go than faff abour stripping it when i have little free time.

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:48 pm

And a little Kyosho Pegasus project lasted less than ten minutes on eBay so that’s another one out of the work queue/collection lol!

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:32 am

Just for a change i actually had some inbound items today - some custom Superchamp decals from MCI Racing, they'll be trialled on my one remaining Rough Rider shell.

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Fri May 10, 2019 11:01 am

Well an awful long time since i last updated this, which pretty much reflects lack of time and interest - sad really, I seem to have forgeotten soooo much about build and set-ups that was second nature 2 years ago :(

Oh well, a quick update..

the following have departed in the last 5 weeks, yielding ca $500 back in my pocket (and in hindsight no real regret for the sales)

Kyosho Pegasus
Kyosho Optima Mid LWB
Tamiya TLT-1 Rock Buster

So collection coming down in numbers..

New In Box..
Tamiya Bruiser (re-release)
Tamiya Mountain rider (re-release of Mountaineer)

Built
Tamiya Hilux 4x4 (original)
Tamiya Egress (original)
Tamiya Egress 2013 - my own re-release (pre Tamiya !) using combination of Vajra kit, Fibre-Lyte Egress CF chassis plates and some vintage parts
Tamiya Sand Scorcher (original)
Tamiya Super Champ
Tamiya Fighting Buggy (Super Champ re-release)
Tamiya Top-Force (original)
Tamiya CR-01 Toyota FJ40
Tamiya CR-01 Unimog
Tamiya DB-01R
Tamiya Hi-Lift HiLux
Tamiya TRF801X with brushless conversion
Associated RC10 Team Car
Associated RC10 Team Car - lightened chassis, brushless
Axial Wraith - built as a Finnish Off Road Race buggy
CPE Terminator Clod Buster
Kyosho Gallop Mk2
Nichimo 1/12 Pan Car
Traxxas mini Slash coverted to mini ERevo

Plus a couple of SRB projects sat idle on the workbench - the rough rider which is mostly new parts and an alloy chassis plate may get moved on shortly ; i just need to decide whether to strip it down into chassis plate, front end module, rear end module and the new radio box/camlocks to sell off separately for probably not much gain over selling as a whole. The other SRB is my Sand Scorcher with alloy chassis etc, its virtually new or custom parts all throughout but was never happy with the paint job on the new body set.

The Super Champ and Top Force are also buried in storage boxes, so they could be going too.

I'm almost starting to edge towards keeping only these four
NIB Mountain Rider
original HiLux and
the Fighting Buggy (new built rere of Super Champ which has alloy wheels and the ball diff fitted)
original Egress

and maybe the CPE Clod, Axial Wraith , the Hi-Lift HiLux and FJ40 CR-01 because these four have a load of money in them which i'll never see back on resale

Decisions, decisions !

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:40 pm

5 months on and interesting to look at my last post to see how that panned out.

Tonight the Top Force sold, last week the Super Champ project, the week before the Rough Rider and Scorcher projects. A reflection of my lack of time, and interest i suppose. Equally interesting is that i find it almost difficult to do the simplest RC job these days, whereas 4 years ago i could almost do anything in my sleep !

I am now at that point where it gets a lot more difficult to see what the next sale item will be - probably the TRF801X, but as its not the most popular model , even when new, i may find it just isn't worth a sale ! :?

Maybe if prices are at a peak then its time to sell on my original, 100% original Egress buggy ??

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:00 am

Always interesting to see what you have to say. I like the collection, although it is smaller now.

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:00 pm

Diamond Dave wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:00 am
Always interesting to see what you have to say. I like the collection, although it is smaller now.
Thanks for the comments, but like many i guess either interests change or other stuff just gets in the way. On a positive I've been quite surprised by the sales prices, which suggest that either the availability for such models is getting a bit thin or there's renewed interest in RC as a hobby. I also sold one of my RC10 Team Cars, the orange and blue bodied one; that made over the equiv of US$300 by auction end !

I see the odd original Egress buggy listed for ca $500, so perhaps I might finally let that one go ??

percymon
Approved Member

Post by percymon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Well despite my post two weeks ago I decided to let the Mountain Rider kit go last week, waited for an Ebay promotion (£1 max fees) so popped it on a buy it now, and it sold within 12 hours. I thought i might be pushng my asking price a bit at US$700 equiv, but seems someone wanted the first edition re-release enough to pay without quibbling. I thought this kit might be the one i held onto for a long time, and build in retirement, but not any longer. Didnt do badly though, 5 years in the attic virtually doubled what i paid for it.

I still have the Bruiser re-re kit , but that's an awkward one - it's not got the extra kudos of the Mountaineer, and now it's cloned to death by those failing Chinese models. I do have a nice set of RC Channel alloy beadlocks for that one though ;)