New to RC and need help figuring out what servo I need

Talk about your short course trucks, stadium trucks, buggies, and other off-road vehicles here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Ssaj

New to RC and need help figuring out what servo I need

Post by Ssaj » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:47 am

New to the forum so I hope this is the right place for my request.

I am building a large RC "Vehicle" for a Maker Faire in my town. But it won't be a car, per-se. It will be an entertainment center with a television in it. I have roughly estimated that it will weigh about 250 lbs https://mechanicfaq.com/1-5-scale-rcs/ . My problem is finding a servo to drive the steering on the front wheels. I am unsure how to calculate the torque required to turn wheels under that pressure in a reasonable amount of time. I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible so I don't want to pay for more power than I need, but I also don't know where to begin. So with that in mind, does anyone know how to figure out the torque required, and also if possible a motor that would fit my needs? I'm sure you'd need more variables for the device, but I am not yet sure what is needed, so if you want clarification ask away.
Last edited by Ssaj on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: New to RC and need help figuring out what servo I need

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:15 pm

I'm not really sure, but based on the weight, I would look into 1/4 scale servo applications.