Traxxas X-Maxx

Although not considered a traditional monster truck, they still have monster coolness.
shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Traxxas X-Maxx

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:52 pm

So... I did a thing... lol. I happened to be browsing Facebook marketplace and found an X-Maxx for sale cheap or trade for powersports. He was including 2 3s lipos and a dual Traxxas charger. I offered up a mini bike I built awhile ago and he took it. It's an 8s X-Maxx with the 1275kv motor and the VXL-8s.
These things are huge. I knew they were big but wow.
It came to me with a stripped spur and pinion which I knew about.
It also came to me with a blown bearing in the motor, which I didn't know about :censored:
The plan for now is to replace the gears and put a new bearing in the motor. I pulled the rotor and it, as well as the windings, all looked good so I am just going to replace the bearing and send it. This will be more of a show and tell thread as I have no intention of modding this truck. The only thing I will do is get a pair of 4s packs to run it at its intended usage. And maybe get a Proline Raptor body for it when it's sitting on the shelf. I will probably run this truck when I want to be stupid and go airborne in an attempt to save my Wheely King from (more) broken parts.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Re: Traxxas X-Maxx

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Got the battery tie downs, center chassis brace, and motor removed. For being so big and seemingly complex, this truck is surprisingly easy to work on. I have the new bearing for the motor ordered and will be ordering the other bits and bobs I need for it this week.
'Image

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:22 am

Nice score! .. I think... LOL :popcorn:

You ever driven one of those before? (I have)
I would try it on 6S for a while before you plunk down the $$$ for 8S
Take it from Captain KABOOM! ... :explosion:

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:07 pm

andymac0035 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:22 am
Take it from Captain KABOOM! ... :explosion:
:lol: :lol: :lol: All I have is 6s for now so that's the only way I will be driving it for awhile. And no I haven't driven one yet but I can't wait to. I am still dumbstruck over the sheer size of it. I will have the parts ordered this week so I will hopefully have it together by Monday or Tuesday of next week. The only thing I am concerned about is the motor. I am hoping the rotor and windings are okay. I did have it powered up and spun the motor a bit which is how I found the bearing so I am crossing my fingers.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:52 pm

Parts ordered.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Got the motor bearing in the mail today and re-assembled the motor. It still sounds a bit sickly. Pretty sure it's because the old bearing wallered the hole in the end cover a bit. I will look for a new motor end cap but I am still going to send it as is. I am hoping that the main stuff I ordered gets here tomorrow.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:28 am

Got it all back together and took it for a rip. :shock: :shock: :shock: I thought I knew what to expect. I figured it would be quick but not that quick, at least not on just 6s. Andy you were right lol. No video yet as it was starting to get dark. It'll probably be the weekend before I can get out and really flog it. I don't feel comfortable having a 20lb truck barreling up and down my road at 25mph+. That's a lot of mass and a lot of potential domestic damage lol. Pic is right after my test run.
I found out once I ran it the driveshaft is a bit bent as you can hear it knocking around. I'm not sure if I should even replace it as it seems to be a common problem with this truck but then again I don't like leaving it now that I know it's messed up. As a side note, with my pair of skate jumps I put on a heck of a show for my neighbor and his 3-4 year old son. Dad said they were going to look it up when they went inside. Lol. Another one hooked for life.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:14 am

LOL... told ya' ... ;)

My Father-in-law has one... as well as some 5th scales. We run them out back.... and stand on the back deck! :shock:

The Baja B5 is about right on 8S and the X-maxx is at my comfortable limit on 6S.

As for that driveshaft... I'd take it out and try to hammer it straight if your any good at stuff like that. (I am... but I'm cheap too!) :rofl:

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:48 am

:explosion: #-o
Took it out to the local park so the kids could play while I did some landscaping. Remember that motor I said sounded sickly still? Yeah the rotor came apart. It was a nice little smoke show if nothing else. Took the opportunity to break the truck down and do some maintenance on the steering assembly and I also took a look at the driveshaft. It looks okay so I am going to leave it for now. I rolled it and she rolls flat and true so I am thinking the noise I was hearing was all motor. I also rebuilt the shocks since one was leaking (displaced bladder in the shock cap). The shock fluid looked like runny chocolate pudding so it was due. I am looking to get the 5692 Leopard 1340kv motor which will require a new motor mount. I wouldn't mind going with a 1600kv 6s X-Maxx motor but they are hard to find cheap since everyone wants them.

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:22 pm

Any updates???

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:58 pm

Not really. Will hopefully be ordering the new motor this coming Thursday.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:26 am

By the power of Grey Skull! It lives! Lol. Video soon (I hope). I need to pull the horn off the servo and re-center it to hopefully rectify an issue I am having where it steers better one way than the other but it feels good to have it back in the dirt. Let's see if I can make it go :explosion: :lol: :lol: :lol:

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:36 am

shadowfocus603 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:26 am
By the power of Grey Skull! It lives! Lol. Video soon (I hope). I need to pull the horn off the servo and re-center it to hopefully rectify an issue I am having where it steers better one way than the other but it feels good to have it back in the dirt. Let's see if I can make it go :explosion: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have confidence in your Ka-Boom!! abilities! :popcorn: