is there a write up on making custom chasis?

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
jjwolf

is there a write up on making custom chasis?

Post by jjwolf »

I have been modifing the stock chasis on my clod and now that I have some understanding on how it all works I have some ideas on making a chasis but was wondering if there is a write up.

I have been a bloodclod, mudcow, matts clod web sites and Have some ideas but there is no real how to or diy write up.

If there are any better ones can you post a link for me. Thnks.

I think That I have to just go at it.

Any tips also welcome

Thanks again

John

xj667
Approved Member

Post by xj667 »

JJ I did it the same way. Got different ideas from everyones designs. Asked for measurements for different chassis. Put some ideas on paper and just started. If you want it to be yours just go for it. This is my first clod and first project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jjwolf

Post by jjwolf »

Yea that was what I was thinking. I do want it to be my design. I have some designs laid out on the computer. just need to get started like you said.

Nice chasis for the first time doing one. Hope mine turns out well too.

Thanks

JJ

xj667
Approved Member

Post by xj667 »

Yeah I had to change link locations a couple time to get the articulation I wanted and to clear the motors. But I finally got it the way i wanted it. Its designed for the long savage shocks but had the Maxx ones and used them.

4x4XJ

Post by 4x4XJ »

this is about as close to a write-up as I've seen
http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk4/rcstuff/clod.htm

Occasionally Jay pops up here to say a few words

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

nice truck

CM_113
Approved Member

Post by CM_113 »

if you want you can pm or email me and i would be willing to help you as much as i can. i know how hard it is to start a project and no have anyone willing to help,or offering help. or they give you the wrong info and you spend months trying to figgure out what they didnt tell you
" I MAKE My OWN trails,following others is for SHEEP"

Admanseven

Post by Admanseven »

Designing the chassis is not the hard part.
Designing the 4-link system is the critical thing and can make the difference between a good truck and an exceptional truck.

There are many trade offs you need to work out. Particularly those between wheelbase, ground clearance and breakover angle.

Articulation is one thing but getting the articulation smooth and centred is another and this all boils down to your link lengths and locations. You can also start thinking about anti-squat, roll centre and centre of gravity when you build your 4-link as all these factors will help the balance and control of your truck when climbing and manouvering over obstacles.

If I could give you just three bits of advice they would be:
1. Mount everything as low in the truck as you can.
2. Triangulate your links at the chassis for the bottom and at the axle for the top.
3. Keep your links as close to parallel as possible (from the side) and as horizontal as possible.

Adman

http://www.monstertruckparts.com.au