Maybe someone could clear this up for me

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Fritzz
Approved Member

Maybe someone could clear this up for me

Post by Fritzz »

I am getting into the crawling scene, and have a question for all you experts.

I am really confused about the different designs the different wheels have i.e. Jugg, Clod, TXT, Maxx wheels. The part I am having a hard time figuring out is the different way each wheel attaches to the steering hub. I know the T Maxx uses a 14mm hex(cuz I have a Maxx :D ) Other than that I am clueless as to how the others attach. From what I have gathered it looks like the clod uses some sort of a hex system, and the Jugg, and TXT use a 5 lug type pattern.

Please help me figure this out so I don't buy anything I don't need hehe. Pictures would be really helpful too.

Thanks!!
"If it ain't broke, then it's time to upgrade......"

danferd2002

Post by danferd2002 »

just buy the ones that are made for your truck you can also by adapters if you need to that will connect different ones together hope this helps Dan

Electrohacker

Post by Electrohacker »

wheel types:

jugg: narrower than clod or txt take a weird curved tire (jugg tires can go on clod wheels)

TXT: same tore as clod, but had diffrent lug thingys (wider and longer lug thingys)

Clod: small lug thingy's can take a wide range of clod /txt/ tires

maxx: 7mm hex drive widest range of tires (adaptors available for clod, txt, and jugg)

jumbo max: fit jumbo maxx tires and monster pirate tires (takes similar adaptor for maxx wheels (but there is no deep offset neded for some maxx adaptors)

monster pirate: fits pirate tires and jumbo maxx tires... fit with adaptors

jumbo kong tires! : fit on jumbo maxx wheels, theoretically would fit on pirate wheels but haven't seen it done...
Last edited by Electrohacker on Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toyofast
Approved Member

Post by Toyofast »

Maxx....14mm hex.

Clod/Jugg/TXT....12mm hex.

Clod, Jugg and TXT's all have a slight variety differences in axle stub length which causes minor problems swappin' between the 3...most from the thread depth(length) as far as I've understood. I have Clod wheels on my Juggy and just have to add a washer between nut and wheel to take up space.

You can buy adapters to go from the Clod/Jugg/TXT 12mm hex to the Maxx 14mm hex and to the OFNA 17mm hex.

Not sure about swapping from Maxx(14mm) to Clod(12mm)? No real reason too. Maxx's have many more variety of tire/wheel setups.

edit: Maxx wheels are a different size from Clod/Jugg/TXT's... The diameter differences don't allow swapping a Maxx size tire onto Clod/Jugg/TXT wheels.

Hope this helps out.

mavrick0
Approved Member

Post by mavrick0 »

Ok I'll totally clear this up since electro is a little off.

TXT and Jugg wheels are identical in size shape and design. The only difference is the Jugg wheels have the same 5 small pins as the Clod which is the reason jugg and clod wheels are interchangeable. TXT wheels have the 5 pins but are larger for added strength since the jugg and clod pins have a tendency to shear off after a while.

Now TXT and Clod tires are the same and will fit on any wheel, the jugg tires are taller and narrower but will also fit on any of the 3 wheels just on the clods wider wheels they will have the side wall bulge out a little bit.

Also with the TXT and Jugg wheels they are thicker where the wheel nut sits for added strength as well. The clod wheels were a little thin and would spider crack from the wheel nut and in severe cases would break right off at that point. So with this in mind if you tried to run clod wheels on a jugg they would wobble because the wheel nut would bottom out on the threads before they tightened up against the wheel so you need a 5mm washer for them to fit.

Now the hex you are thinking of with the clod is used by the clod, jugg, and TXT and it's a 12mm brass hex like that on a touring car and a lot of stadium trucks and stampedes. But the wheels don't mount to that, there is a wheel disk that mounts to that 12mm brass hex then the wheels mount to the wheel disk.

If you want to run maxx or MP wheels you will need adapters of course offered by Inet RC or TTR that mount to the 12mm brass hex then of course have the proper size hex on the other end for whatever type of wheel you want to run, 14mm for maxx, savage, etc size wheels and I believe the MP are 17mm hexes.

Hope this has cleared things up a little bit and I will add pics later of all 3 wheels since I have all 3 types sitting in my hobby room.
A off roader may be able to jump and run around a track. A on roader may be able to run circles around the road but a monster truck will run over anything and everyone.

Electrohacker

Post by Electrohacker »

yeah I was a little off on jugg wheels because I was always told they were the same axles as txt... but how did I get so far off on the hex... maynbe I ment radius... LMAO
Last edited by Electrohacker on Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

mavrick0
Approved Member

Post by mavrick0 »

Yeah that's probably what you did. Normally when refering to the hex it's the overal measurment.
A off roader may be able to jump and run around a track. A on roader may be able to run circles around the road but a monster truck will run over anything and everyone.

mnstrbetle
Approved Member

Post by mnstrbetle »

I drilled out all of the little stubby things on the back of all 4 clod wheels and opened the center hole to about 1/2 inch. I then put small bolts through the hubs from the back of the hub and secured the small bolts with nuts, this increased the width of my clod by more than an inch and created a 'five bolt' wheel patern. Now my clod wheels are held on by 5 lugnuts raher than one nut in the center.

Fritzz
Approved Member

Post by Fritzz »

Thanks guys. This helps a lot. I think I will be getting the Clod to Maxx adapters, since I already have a lot of T Maxx Tires. Also like some of you said, lots of options for this set up. Plust the adapters from TTR look like they act as wheel wideners at the same time.

Thanks again....
"If it ain't broke, then it's time to upgrade......"

tire weel swap

Post by Guest »

Hey will drilling out the 5 holes in my clod disk that will make txt-1 wheel fit proper on a clod. the only thing is you will need to git 4 more disk to run stock wheels right .