Best way to mount links?

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Demon_Knight

Best way to mount links?

Post by Demon_Knight »

I've seen three variations so far. The what I call ESP one which has all the links going to the knuckles and triangulates the bottom links at the bottom of the chassis(pic 1). The second one is where you have a pair of links going to the knuckles and the upper links triangulate at the top of the gearbox(pic 2). The third is where all links again go to the links but there seems to be no triangulation(pic 3). Which setup do you have? What's with the one in pic 3 having no triangulation?(see it in a lot of racing chassi) I apologise for the wrong order but I had some computer problems! lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Electrohacker

Post by Electrohacker »

if you're going with brushless and this means SPEED, I'd go with the third option... I run esp style and like it... but I hear the top mounted is the way to get the most articulation...

Toyofast
Approved Member

Post by Toyofast »

What about double triangulation? Upper and lower?

Upper links meet at center point on top of axle....lower links meet in center of chassis. I've heard that this setup can help eliminate some of the axle steer issues from big flex.

Demon_Knight

Post by Demon_Knight »

which is the way to go to get the least sideways movement of axles? that's what I need. I'm not really worried about articulation. basically, I need secure axles at the speed I'll be going and I'm finding it hard determining which setup would be best. There are racing chassi which have all these kind of setups. Ripper has top mounted, esp has lwoer mounted and most tubers have no apparent triangulation.???

mavrick0
Approved Member

Post by mavrick0 »

Well the ESP is out dated and really can't be considered as a racing design anymore. As for the Beach style or TTR style I'm not sure which one to recommend.

I run the TTR style with my Ripper of course but also on my TXC and my TXT-R it is factory with that style and everything runs great with no side to side movement. I did start to notice some movement on my Ripper and TXC but found out it was the TTR upper link mount post had begun to wear out the K-nut they use which was made out of aluminum on the one's I had. But TTR have upgraded to stainless steel to stop this problem from happening and now everything is tight again with no movement.

The Beach style is triangulated though. Not as much as the TTR but the upper links are slightly triangulated at the mount in the chassis as you can see in the pic bellow.

A off roader may be able to jump and run around a track. A on roader may be able to run circles around the road but a monster truck will run over anything and everyone.

Electrohacker

Post by Electrohacker »

mavrick0 wrote:Well the ESP is out dated and really can't be considered as a racing design anymore.
Why not... it still works... flawlessly actually...
Last edited by Electrohacker on Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPEED RACER
Approved Member

Post by SPEED RACER »

#3 is simular to #1 the lower links on it is triangulated as looking from above or below.i use #2.another advantage to #2 is the impact of hitting is distruted through the hole gear box rather then just the c-hubs.#2 also alows the gear box to swing in a little more in that the wheels will have a little more clearance with the body when it articulates.hope i explained that right

Demon_Knight

Post by Demon_Knight »

Aha, so they are slightly triangulated in the tuber but very little compared to the other setups which have both top or bottom link go to the same spot. What about double triangulation? I had found a site explaining some differences in these setup but I lost it. Anyone know about it?