Clodder99's first clod build and questions

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
clodder99

Re: Clodder99's first clod build and questions

Post by clodder99 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:27 am

Here some pics of the progress. Still waiting on conical washers from CPE; I ran out, but here are a few pics of the progress:

This is the 12.5 link set from CPE. The red conical washers I ordered from Amazon were too large however they work perfect to add height and the smaller conical washers are on top. Movement is pretty good.
Clod Links.jpg
This is the mount kit from eBay.
Clod Mount1.jpg
Clod Mount2.jpg
The eBay aluminum shocks. 110mm from eye to eye that will be going on. I ordered 8 to keep the stock look, but realized that I would need to remove the stock metal axle bracing to install 2 shocks per each mount. I really don't want to remove that support as I think its important. What do you guys think? If I removed the stock brace, I would install one shock at the furthest hole and the other would be inline with the screw that goes through the spindle.
Clod Shock1.jpg
Also ordered 150mm solid links to build my own steering servo links. The ones I ordered from CPE will not fit with this larger wheelbase (12.5''). Waiting on the delivery man for those. I am sticking with the single servo steering on this for my son, I am not quite committed yet to adding separate axle serves quite yet....maybe after my son learns how to drive a bit better. LOL Comments are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RC51DUDE
Approved Member

Post by RC51DUDE » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:24 am

I'm digging the direction you are going with this build!!!

clodder99

Post by clodder99 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:35 pm

RC51DUDE wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:24 am
I'm digging the direction you are going with this build!!!
Thanks! I will have some more pictures to post soon. When I started this upgrade I underestimated that amount of time it would take. LOL Once you get going, you realize certain things work and certain things don't fit as nicely as you envision before you start.

RC51DUDE
Approved Member

Post by RC51DUDE » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:00 pm

Take your time, everything will come together in the end. I experienced the same thing while I'm restoring my clodzilla 2 chassis. With my build, I realized how wrong I had it built years ago. This time around the satisfaction is over the top.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:24 am

Your thoughts about not removing that brace are correct. It is indeed important. Only guys with full aluminum cases and tubes ever remove that brace.

clodder99

Post by clodder99 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:19 pm

andymac0035 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:24 am
Your thoughts about not removing that brace are correct. It is indeed important. Only guys with full aluminum cases and tubes ever remove that brace.
That's what I figured. I could not find anyone who sold dual shock link mounts for the clod buster. CPE is sold out. So I fabbed my own out of parts I bought online. I attached pictures of this mini-project below. This will now allow me to keep the stock 8 shock look - which I love but know its totally not necessary. :lol:

Here are the parts for a Bullhead mount setup I found on eBay. I utilized the longer bracket to be a dual mount with multiple adjustment points. Hence, why I didn't cut it down.
IMG_3861 3.jpg
Installed.
IMG_3863.jpg
Installed. Different angle.
IMG_3862.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RC51DUDE
Approved Member

Post by RC51DUDE » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:27 pm

I was in the same boat, I wanted dual shocks on my zilla but the way I wanted to mount them left me not being able to run the axle braces. And I didn't want to do shorter shocks and mount them on top of the brace. So for now being that my truck is more shelf queen than runner I'm OK with the plastic axle tubes for now. I'm considering getting a set of Hot Racing aluminum axle tubes and knuckles but the reviews on the quality of HR stuff is making it hard for me to pull the trigger on a purchase.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:14 am

A lot of the HR stuff has poor reviews, but the axles tubes and knuckles are good. I did a lot of research reading reviews on both the tubes & knuckles before I bought mine for my one truck.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

RC51DUDE
Approved Member

Post by RC51DUDE » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:09 am

Thanks for the infollowing steve!

clodder99

Post by clodder99 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:35 pm

I agree. Glad I kept the brace on for now. I saw good reviews on the axle tubes themselves. But I won’t be going that route for awhile.

clodder99

Post by clodder99 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:36 pm

Finally finished everything and got things buttoned up....for now at least until the mod bug hits again.

Here she is:
Dual shocks mounted on the braces I fabbed.
Shocks1.jpg
Shocks2.jpg
Sitting about 2.5" longer than stock using CPE's 4 link kit.
Clod1.jpg
Clod2.jpg
My son loves Max D, so I purchased this body about a year ago. Its an Axial body that they no longer make, so I found one on eBay brand new. This will be the shelf queen body.
Max-D1.jpg
Max-D2.jpg
Max-D3.jpg

Just want to thank everyone for their guidance and kind words.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:00 am

Glad we could help you. Those dual shocks look really good on there. :thumbsup:

clodder99

Post by clodder99 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:31 pm

andymac0035 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:00 am
Glad we could help you. Those dual shocks look really good on there. :thumbsup:
Appreciate it. Yes, I think they look pretty cool. The next upgrade will probably be the movement of the servo to the axles to better the steering. But for now I'm happy with it.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Looks good. I agree with Andy those dual shocks look great on it.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

RC51DUDE
Approved Member

Post by RC51DUDE » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:14 am

Wow good job clodder, I like it a lot.