Hardcore basher build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Re: Hardcore basher build

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:39 pm

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:26 pm

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:54 pm

Cool I thought that was your Ice Monster truck Trevor. Figured that was either you or someone that copied your truck here lol
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Fri May 03, 2019 5:55 pm

Boy I forgot how much these trucks can nickle & dime ya to death. Been getting all the little stuff to finalize the build this past week such as castle-link, bag of xt60's, bumper/servo mount, silicone 12ga wire, new higher temp soldering iron, heat shrink tubing and the list goes on. Just looked at my bank account and thought....hmmmm...could have sworn I had $200 more than that in there :lol: :oops:
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Steve C wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:55 pm
Boy I forgot how much these trucks can nickle & dime ya to death. Been getting all the little stuff to finalize the build this past week such as castle-link, bag of xt60's, bumper/servo mount, silicone 12ga wire, new higher temp soldering iron, heat shrink tubing and the list goes on. Just looked at my bank account and thought....hmmmm...could have sworn I had $200 more than that in there :lol: :oops:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Man have I totally been there too.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sun May 05, 2019 4:08 am

All I can say is holy crap! Got all the electronics in it today and used the new Castle-link to hook up the ESC's to my PC so I could adjust all the settings on them. It was dark out so I just put it on the basement shop floor to just see what it had. Merely blipped the throttle and it jumped up in the air like a frog flipping over backwards in the air and landed 6ft away :shock: :shock: I believe I will wait till it's light outside to test it out and further. Way to dangerous to mess with inside lol

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Tue May 07, 2019 3:48 am

Bumper/servo mount came today. This is the ones I was asking about in another post. Really like this bumper. Very nicely made and offers a really good protective spot for the servo with zero movement of the servo. I had noticed on my vertical mount it seemed to move slightly under the torque of the servo but this one is solid as a rock. Also swapped over some aluminum knuckles on the front end of the truck. I remember back in the day I use to end up with some cracks/splits in the front knuckles where the screwed went in so figure I want to beef up everything I can ahead of time on this one. It's really just about done other than a couple other minor things. Probably have some pictures of the entire truck all done and ready to go in a few days.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Thu May 23, 2019 3:21 am

With everything that went on in my personal life the past few weeks I haven't posted the finished pics of the truck yet. Just trying to force myself to do things to try to get back to somewhat of a normal life again. So here's some pics of the finished truck, it's all done now. I airbrushed the body a nice metallic blue with a waving checkered flag paint scheme. The King Sling body is supposed to have the scoop on the rear of the real truck, but I didn't care for that so moved it to the hood and trimmed it to fit against the windshield. Added some LED red head & taillights as well.

I have yet to get it out and test out full power, but from just testing it after I programmed the dual ESC's I tested it in the backyard and it has just a ridiculous amount of power. Anything more than 1/4 throttle with any sort of traction and it stands right up and jumps off the ground. Going to try to get it out to somewhere that has some ample room this weekend and open it up to see what it will do. Will try to get some action pics or vid of it when I can.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Thu May 23, 2019 4:09 am

Just doing a little late night testing in the shop. I believe I grabbed a little too much throttle in the 2nd video lol

Vid #1
https://youtu.be/SCd-7u-ukrA

Vid #2
https://youtu.be/oi3BvWA47DU

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Fri May 24, 2019 12:14 am

Maiden shake down run for the most part was a success. Got 30 mins of crazy speed and outside of being on the edge of out of control at full throttle it was a blast. Until the very end when the pitchers mound rubber decided the fun was over. Couple broken rod ends and a pulled apart shock but nothing too major to fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsA4-KP ... e=youtu.be

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Fri May 24, 2019 4:36 am

Brushless always inflicts broken parts. It looks like you have some cleaning to do now as well. LOL
Jeff

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Fri May 24, 2019 3:52 pm

Yeah the mud/dirt and my OCD really do not go well together :lol: All fixed up and ready to go again. Replaced two broken rod ends, found the arm on one of the aluminum steering knuckles was also bent so straightened that out, and rebuilt the shock so all good as new. Have to find a more solid way to mount the body though. I thought it was solid with the four side post mounts as was, but it wheelies so hard it ripped the post out of the two rear mounts. So going to redo those and then add some sort of vertical mount as well so that doesn't happen again. Few bugs to work out but nothing too bad. Felt great to run a truck again, first time in probably close to 16/17 yrs....I've missed it 8)

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sat May 25, 2019 12:16 am

All fixed up from yesterdays crash, body mounted and had a blast with it today. Got all the bugs worked out of it and it's running like a champ now. It's a handful but so much fun to bash around with.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSD-EBr ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

RC51DUDE
Approved Member

Post by RC51DUDE » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:18 pm

How did those bumpers hold up in that crash?

RC51DUDE
Approved Member

Post by RC51DUDE » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:23 pm

I just watched your video, that's impressive, I never would have guessed clod gear boxes could withstand 5700KV motors. What's your secret?