Hardcore basher build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Steve C
Approved Member

Re: Hardcore basher build

Post by Steve C » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:35 am

Got a lot done tonight. Got the upper links finished, was not a lot of fun doing those. Everything is coming together though and I'm really liking the way it's working. Overall weight so far is just 2.12lbs. Ended up going with 12.5 wheelbase on this one. With as light as this is, on the castle 5700kv & 3S this thing is gonna be a beast :mrgreen:
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:01 am

Steve C wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:35 am
With as light as this is, on the castle 5700kv & 3S this thing is gonna be a beast :mrgreen:
I'll say! Man that is going to be wicked fast and probably jump well too. I can't believe how level the upper links are. Now lets see it with some wheels on it! 8)
Jeff

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:06 am

Hopefully have them on it by the weekend 8) I'm stripping the chrome off the wheels right now and painting them flat black, and ordered some Jconcept renegades the other day which are supposed to be here by Thursday. So hopefully they don't get delayed with this weather we're having.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:20 am

Moving right along at a good pace now. King Sling body came yesterday so got it all trimmed out and body mounts on. One thing I don't like about King Sling is the scoop being on the rear of the truck, so I trimmed the rear of the scoop to fit against the windshield and mounted it on the hood. I like it much better this way. Also mounted the shocks inboard a bit more so I could trim off some of the mounting tabs so I have no contact with the motors under full suspension compression now at all. Renegade tires should be here tomorrow, should be doing some paint work tomorrow as well. I'm really loving this truck, I think it's gonna be a blast. It's so light it's just crazy, the suspension has a ton of travel, and just seems to be going together almost too easily lol...hardly had any issues at all so far. It's almost like I'm waiting for some major issue that I totally didn't think of ahead of time to rear it's ugly head.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:36 am

Wow, Looking great! I like how you made the hood scoop fit the front of the truck! Looks way better than on the rear for sure. =D> It kind of reminds me of the one a I built using a Pro Mod body.
Jeff

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:42 am

Got my Renegades for it now, after having to go on a scavenger hunt. Dang USPS obviously can't even read 3 simple numbers. Been waiting all day for my tires that said "out for delivery". Finally at 6:30 I ran the tracking again, said delivered at 4:31pm. Had to go for a walk down to street to find the box on a neighbors porch. Just love how the postal costs keep going up and up yet their service keeps going down and down!

SFC K- Ya got a pic of the one you did with a pro mod body on it? I'd love to see that.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:11 am

Steve C wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:42 am

SFC K- Ya got a pic of the one you did with a pro mod body on it? I'd love to see that.
Glad your tires made it even though you had to go get them. ugh...

Here is a picture of it.

Build thread here. https://www.clodtalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=27283
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:55 am

Pro mod Studebaker on a MT, love it :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:29 am

This current truck I'm building is one I am trying to make as bulletproof as possible. So rather than using plastic headers I spent some time making some of my own. Used 1/4" solid aluminum stock, bent with a tubing bender then drilled & tapped then mounted to the chassis with some 3/8" 8/32 caphead bolts. Don't think I have to worry about these breaking.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:43 pm

With my Sister in the hospital the past 6 weeks things kind'a got put on hold for awhile. Finally starting to get a tad more time to play around with things again though so just ordered the battery for this build last night. Ordered a SMC 3S 11.1v 5400mah 135amp 90c Lipo. With the dual brushless 5700k sensored Castle motors and dual Mamba-X ESC's plus as light as this truck is, this thing should most likely fly like the wind :twisted:

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:56 am

Got side tracked with life for a bit but back to work on the custom carbon fiber chassis clod again now. 3S lipo came today so finished making the batt mount plate for it. Got it nice and low in the chassis and made it so the whole mount plate is easily removed as one unit by removing four cap head screws. Just waiting on some xt60 connector to get here this week and it should be up and running within the next week or so. Will be the first time running a truck since I got out of it over 15yrs ago so looking forward to enjoying the hobby again.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:11 pm

Should be interesting to see how that goes on 3S. ...... :explosion: :mrgreen:

I take it you like the XT60 connectors? I had a bag of them given to me by a friend who had switched over to XT90's, as that's what most of the racers over here at the local track use. Only reason I haven't swapped in XT60's is that I still have a lot of the original style traxxas connectors. Sometimes the traxxas connectors are a pain though, so I've been thinking about switching.... usually after I have to file down the contacts as they get to binding after a while. How are the XT60's over the long haul?

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:04 pm

I went went the xt60's at the suggestion of someone else that uses them. Since I'm just getting back into Rc with these builds the last connectors I use to use were the Deans style back in the early 2000's, so all these connectors these days are ones that weren't around when I was in it years ago, so I posted on the Custom MT builder page I'm a part of on FB. The guy that runs that page (I think he is a member here as well because I saw his Michigan Ice Monster truck posted here recently) he said he use to use the T style but they were prone to getting hot and had issue with them. So he said he switched over to xt60 because they offer really lose resistance and are easy to solder, so that's what I went with as well.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:31 pm

Steve C wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:04 pm
I went went the xt60's at the suggestion of someone else that uses them. Since I'm just getting back into Rc with these builds the last connectors I use to use were the Deans style back in the early 2000's, so all these connectors these days are ones that weren't around when I was in it years ago, so I posted on the Custom MT builder page I'm a part of on FB. The guy that runs that page (I think he is a member here as well because I saw his Michigan Ice Monster truck posted here recently) he said he use to use the T style but they were prone to getting hot and had issue with them. So he said he switched over to xt60 because they offer really lose resistance and are easy to solder, so that's what I went with as well.
Yup that's me. I like the xt60's for exactly the reason stated. Low resistance. I like soldering them far better than both the deans t plug and the Traxxas style connectors. After a hard season running them trailing on my TRX-4 I have had zero issues with corrosion or the plugs being difficult to connect/disconnect. They are basically the 3mm plugs we are used to with brushless motor leads but with the added security of the connections being captured and insulated in a plastic housing.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:00 pm

Sorry to hijack, but what's your FB page?