Steve's tube clod build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Steve C
Approved Member

Re: Steve's tube clod build

Post by Steve C » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Got two of the new Jconcepts JCT tires mounted on the new tribute wheels with beadlocks. These things are awesome, really love the scale look of them and tread design. Planetary center caps are painted black and swapped out the factory hex screws with some stainless ones which look nice. Been swapping out all the screws & hardware on the whole truck with stainless ones now as well.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:46 pm

That thing is so pretty, you ain't gonna want to run it! #-o :shock: :mrgreen:

I think your rock rails are a little low though, and you should probably paint 'em too. :wink: :wink:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:32 pm

Halgar wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:46 pm
That thing is so pretty, you ain't gonna want to run it! #-o :shock: :mrgreen:
Funny you say that, because just this past week I have started buying parts to build another set of axles. I already have about 75% of the axle parts. I do plan to run this tuber pretty often and hard, but now with this other set of axles I'm putting together I plan to build a second truck. The 2nd one I am going to build a carbon fiber chassis and make it into an all out bulletproof basher that I can hurl through the air and not worry about :)
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 pm

Having two trucks is a good thing, especially when you're heavily modifying them because you can usually keep one up and running to play with while you work on the other.

Sure glad I don't have to pay your credit card bills! :shock: :mrgreen:

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:39 am

After 2 weeks of 12hr days building rods I HAD to take a break today.
Got most the masking done tonight as well as the name on the side and the drop shadows on the flames. The yellow is just masking, flames will end up two shades of blue with mirror chrome tips. Reaper face on the side is gonna take a while when I get to that, lots of small detail work in his face. Been 15+ years since I broke out the airbrush, I forgot how much I use to enjoy it.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:21 am

Tri-color flames are done. Metallic turquoise, faded into metallic blue, faded into mirror chrome tips. Should be starting on the reaper on the sides tomorrow, then can move onto the torn metal. The blue on top and at the rear is masking, that will be torn metal pulling back to reveal a waving checkered flag.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:25 pm

Really starting to come to life now. Took a few hours but got one reaper done, still have to do the other side. Gotta quit for a few days though and get back to filling some rod orders. Guess play time is over for a bit :(

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:33 am

WOW! :shock:

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 am

Thanks Andy. It's comin' along now. It did start out sketchy at first with the airbrushing :lol: . I use to do a ton of airbrush work not just for myself but for other guys trucks back in the day, but that was a very long time ago and I honestly forgot a lot of about painting. Luckily the more I work on this body the more it's coming back to me. One thing is for sure, before I do another body I am investing into a quality airbrush again. When I got out of RC I sold off my Iwata airbrush so I recently bought a $15 China cheapie to do this body. It does the job but it's a lot more of a pain than my Iwata use to be that's for sure.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:52 am

BOOM!..........;)

Dustrbd1
Approved Member

Post by Dustrbd1 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:54 pm

That is awesome. Great work.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:37 am

That is awesome and man does it stick out! Nice work!
Jeff

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:58 am

I envy you guys with the talent to paint like that. 8)

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:18 am

Steering servo on and added a scale brake rotor/caliper to give it a more realistic appearance. Changed out the shock springs which dropped the ride height down now to a better level but still have to play around with oil and might go with a tad stronger spring rate as well so I don't have to run the adjustment collars all the way down. Slowly but surely getting there.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:50 pm

That looks awesome! :thumbsup:

Side note... your upper link mount is not centered, your missing some spacers that move it (away from the gear case) and center it on the swivel point of the stock steering location (which is the center of the axle).