Steve's tube clod build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Steve C
Approved Member

Re: Steve's tube clod build

Post by Steve C » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:56 pm

Working on painting and making some of the interior detail pieces now before it's ready for powder coating the chassis. Radiator, Optima battery, cables, steering wheel, MSD ignition box, tachometer, shifter, all about done now.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Been about a month since I updated so figured I would post a quick update so you knew I had not thrown in the towel or anything. Just been so busy with Thanksgiving and now pre Christmas stuff for the past month I haven't had a lot of time to tinker with the clod. This week I plan to do a final assembly on it again to make sure I have everything where I want it and then I'll take it all apart again and then drop the chassis off at the powder coater hopefully by Friday. Once that comes back from there then I can assemble it again and start working on painting the body at that point.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:28 pm

So busy lately it's been tough finding time to get things done but I was able to make time to take the chassis and drop off at the powder coater today. Should be ready sometime next week :)

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:19 pm

I can't believe it. Powder coater just called and its all done and ready for pick up. Gonna go pick it up tomorrow. That is some fast service right there. Can't wait to see how it turned out!

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Picked the chassis up from the powder coater today. Very pleased with the way it turned out. Looking forward to starting to work on it again after Christmas, if I can resist it till then lol

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:29 pm

Looking very cool in Orange 8)

merry christmass too :thumbsup:

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:10 am

Thanks man, Merry Christmas to you as well.
I'd say I made out pretty good this year for Christmas :) Just got these from the family. Since I got these today I went ahead and just ordered the other Mamba-x and Castle 5700kv motor offline so those should be here Jan 2nd. Also got a pair of hi TQ MG servos (not in the pic). Basically all that is left to buy for the clod build now is the 3s lipo and I'll be just about set.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:33 am

Started working on the clod after the family left. Had picked up the scale motor for it back when I started building the chassis but never cared for the lack of detail or the plug wires that were way to small for the motor. So tore it all down and cleaned it, painted the block, dist cap, valve cover ridges, butterflys, AN fittings and a few other things. Made some orange blower straps and replaced the plug wires. Some old yellow fly line worked perfect for the plug wires.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:36 pm

I've put about 30hrs+ into the clod build over the past couple days since getting the chassis back from powder coating. Still have a lot to do but now it is really starting to take shape and look like something.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:46 am

Wow! This is really turning out beautiful. Almost be a shame to cover it up with a body. =D>
-Matt

My Trucks

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:48 am

Thanks. Gotta dig out the airbrush this week and start coming up with some design ideas for the paint work. I know my two main colors are going to be orange and a metallic blue but thinking of adding in some ripped metal and checkered flag work on it as well perhaps. Got a new set of Jconcept tribute wheels and orange beadlock so went ahead and just pulled the trigger on the brand new JCT tires Joncepts just came out with. They are a very scale replica of the real BKT tires, Can't wait for those to get here :)

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:58 am

Got back onto the clod today after a couple days break. Spent the day mostly doing diamond plate work on it. Got the side sponsor panels done, the side "wing/roll" panels, the front cockpit firewall, and upper dash panel done now.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:08 am

One way to tell if you are getting old. Try painting all the lugs on a set of beadlocks in one sitting and then try to walk a straight line #-o

132NHAF
Administrator

Post by 132NHAF » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:18 pm

Nice truck, great detail. Too bad you couldn't find any Orange paint/powder coat... :lol:
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:36 pm