Steve's tube clod build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Re: Steve's tube clod build

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:13 pm

That's a work of art!

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:26 am

Looks good Steve, are you going to run 4 wheel steer on this unit :thumbsup:

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:51 am

Thanks. Nope plan to run locked out rear steer on it.
Hope to be able to get back to working on it again in the next few days. Been so busy with "work work" I haven't had a chance to do much else the past few days :( I did manage to sneek in about 30 mins last night and get two of the driver side door bars in but that's been it so far since last update.
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:59 am

Well the parts purchasing just keeps on coming. I hope to do some work on again soon but I know I am down to my last rod of the Saftey Silv45 braze rod and still have a good deal more brazing to do so just ordered another pack of that stuff (there goes another $40). Then since I will be putting the axles under it before too long I really would rather do what I want to do to the axles now rather than take them back out and pull them apart down the road. So I just ordered a full set (2 pair) of the Hot Racing all aluminum tubes. And of course with those you have to run their knuckles so I also ordered a full set of the Hot Racing all aluminum knuckles. Now I really don't want to put the crappy bushings into those parts after spending the cash on them so now I'm looking at full bearing sets right now.

You know, I'm starting to remember why I got out of Clods back 15 years ago :lol:
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: My Wheely King and TRX-4 are both money pits too. I feel your pain.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:01 pm

Just because these things are small doesn't mean they're cheap! My first truck cost me over $800 for the kit, radio, batteries, charger, and an ESC. I purchased locally, since the shop was so helpful in figuring out what I wanted and needed. The only thing I was pissed about was the cheapass charger they sold me when I specifically stated I wanted a good one.

Second truck cost about half that, but then I added on a really nice charger and a few other trinkets, which drove the costs back up over $600. Both of these were basically stock rigs. I suppose I should also state that I only bought new stuff, never used, never SleazeBay, so that made things a bit more expensive as well.

Third truck, the Tmaxx was a gift from my wife, though, technically, I paid for that one too! In more ways than one! :roll: #-o :lol: (that's not a dis of the wife, the truck was a Crappsas!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:01 pm

I guess the bright side is Clods are worth it unlike some RC vehicles I have dumped a ton of cash into. I remember back in the day having well over $1200 in my T maxx with a .21 rixgear chassis and every sort of hop up part ever made for that truck then when I sold it I think I got around $200 out of it :lol:

Also- didn't just look at Clod bearings last night, ended up buying a full set of 24 Fast Eddies as well as 10 extra 5x8mm ones for the new aluminum tubes as well. Gonna be like Christmas here next week when the mailman starts dropping stuff off :)

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:12 am

After a long day of work to pay the bills I managed to get done in time to spend a few more hours working on the clod chassis tonight. Was able to get all the rest of the cross braces cut and brazed in now and then sand the whole thing clean. Next step will be fabing the shock mounts and 4-link mounts and brazing those in place. Shocks should be here tomorrow hopefully.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:49 am

Coming along nicely. 8-)

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Thanks Halgar. Hopefully after this week I'll be caught up on "real" work enough to where I can spend some real time working on the clod after that.
Well some more stuff showed up today. Still waiting for the aluminum knuckles but those should show up in a day or two most likely.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:13 am

Boy, glad I'm not the one paying the credit card bill for all that stuff! #-o :shock: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: You be spending some money on this build! 8)

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:58 am

Halgar wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:13 am
Boy, glad I'm not the one paying the credit card bill for all that stuff! #-o :shock: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: You be spending some money on this build! 8)
Yeah admittedly it is adding up. Actually to be honest I plan to NEVER add it all up because if I did I would not be too happy I'm sure. The way I am looking at this build though is just doing it right the first time and building something to never get rid of no matter what. In the past I have either sunk a bunch of money into a poor choice for a rig (i.e- T maxx) or have sunk a bunch of money into a clod only to sell it for one reason or another. This time though I plan to hang on to this truck and never get rid of it no matter what comes up :)

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:22 am

Well another late night shopping spree. I'm worse than a woman in a shoe store with a stolen credit card :shock:

Latest parts load ordered are mostly scale parts...
3.5" tall racing seat
5 pt Simpson racing harness
2pc Fuel cell (receiver hides inside it)
Scale radiator with dual fans
Tachometer with shift light
Racing shifter
MSD ignition box
Racing steering wheel
2 sheets scale diamond plate
Blue NOS bottle with valve
Orange Anodized wheel nuts
Set of red/orange shock springs

That's it for now. Excuse me while I go flush my wallet down the toilet ](*,)

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:49 am

Those parts and that list sounds fun , are those the wide HR axle tubes?

I had a set of the narrow HR tubes on a recent build and they worked good, but after i removed my metal braces on the plastic tubes I never broke any more by letting them flex more. One thing I found out is the gpm knuckles are the same as the HR units...

I was gona try the wide tubes as they seem way simpler to track down, but I thought those are just for crawlers and not jumping

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:24 am

Yep I got the wide axle ones, they increase each side by about 1/2". I was actually looking for standard size ones but after a week of searching came up empty. I was wondering about if they would increase the risk of breakage but most the guys I spoke to about them on the Fb MT builders group I'm in say they run them for their bashers and don't have any issues, so I'll see how they work for me. I spoke with Mike Hesse the other day and he's gonna be doing another run of his aluminum gear box cases soon so I plan to upgrade the cases on mine to his aluminum units once he gets the next batch ready, so that should stiffen the entire axle unit up where I shouldn't have to worry about much I'm hoping.