Building a dream

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Owl

Re: Building a dream

Post by Owl » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:07 pm

The local hobby shop stocks Louise Tyres, which have a 12 mm hex. Will these fit my clodbuster?

Owl

Post by Owl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:30 am

IMG-20180810-WA0001.jpg
Still enjoying the clod! I've been wondering- the rubber bits on the shock shafts limit suspension travel. Is there aby reason not to remove them?
Al
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:58 pm

They limit suspension travel to protect the steering linkage on top of the axles.

Most of us cut recesses into the chassis or change/modify the steering to deal with this.

Owl

Post by Owl » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:46 am

Thanks, that explains it!

What your YouTube channel name?

Al

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:06 pm

Owl

Post by Owl » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:16 am

Thanks ! Gonna enjoy that. For some reason my browser doesn't work with the video links on this site.

Owl

Post by Owl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Just been destressing- ran the clod up and down the driveway at sunset. Fantastic! I'm glad I went with black, looks so good in the half dark with the lights blazing....

I think I'm probably a bit gentle with this model, but it is a lot of fun.

Goes to show, you're never to old to get new toys

Owl

Post by Owl » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:16 pm

Had good fun running around the "track" on my lawn where I got the feel for running fast with race truck. The clod can actually really go!!! I think must drill some holes in the rims now, although the way it bounces around is entertaing. Managed to do some nice fast turns with a front wheel in the air.....

Can't help thinking how much fun an 8x8 would be.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:48 pm

I'm really enjoying the updates. A video would be awesome!

Owl

Post by Owl » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:53 am

I'll see about a video later!

I've adjusted the front steering linkage, so now theres a little more steering at the front than the rear. Doubt it will make much difference, but seemed like an idea.

I assume I can run lipos with the esc? No one seems to know if it has a low voltage cut off?. I'm not terribly worried, as I am very happy with the current performance from a 5000mah NiMH. Just curious...

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:13 pm

if stock esc then no lipo cut off that i remember hearing about. something cheap but works is an alarm like this to use with stock esc to give you a warning.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2in1-1S-8S ... SwzvlW-2vP

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:45 am

Owl wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:53 am
I assume I can run lipos with the esc? No one seems to know if it has a low voltage cut off?. I'm not terribly worried, as I am very happy with the current performance from a 5000mah NiMH. Just curious...
I think that Andymac is pretty well versed in cutoffs and BEC ratings of ESC's, so if he doesn't poke his nose in here soon, send him a pm and have him come reply to this thread.

I'm with you, a good day out with the Clod is better than just about any other day doing anything else. There might be one or two exceptions, but I'm at a loss as to what they might be at the moment. :wink: :mrgreen:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:02 am

You can run a 2S lipo with the stock esc ... BUT ... it is meant for "life" batteries, not LIPO. What that means is that the voltage cut-off for the stock clod esc is a bit too low. It will cut-out, but you'll run your lipo down lower than what you should. Have I done this?... yes... many times and it was fine... but I'm sure someone out there had a problem. A voltage alarm is your friend and also knowing enough to stop running your truck when it starts losing some of it's punch, which is a sure sign that your lipo is getting to that spot where you should be stopping.

All that said...... I'd just get a different esc. (Unless you use life batteries)
I never keep the tamiya esc... over in Japan, "life" batteries are what they use I guess, but not here.
There are several to choose from, but I always have come back to the traxxas EVX-2 as I've yet to use anything I liked better.
Just make sure it's a modern one that says low voltage detection on it in tiny letters. (there are older models that don't have this feature)

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:58 am

And THAT, my friends, is why we keep Andy around! =D> :mrgreen:

It's funny, I ran my trucks on Nicad until they literally quit moving, screw this "when power first starts to drop off" stuff. Was it the best thing, probably not, but I was gonna get every second I could out of those puppies before stuffing them on a hot charge to run again as soon as possible. :twisted:

I will say, however, that the current batteries don't take well to abuse like the old NiCads did. Not that abuse was good on them, but, I never once worried about a pack going :explosion: on me with the torture I put it through.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Owl

Post by Owl » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:25 am

Thanks gents! I thought as much. I probably won't put a lipo in, as I an happy with how she goes. It already wheelies from a standstill, so I am happy. But then, I am curious how much difference it will make...have a couple of nice big high C 2 cell packs for racing, and they seem to fit just fine.

Al