Building a dream

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Owl

Re: Building a dream

Post by Owl » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:35 am

:) Thanks!

Owl

Post by Owl » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:47 pm

Hopefully last coat of paint is on at last. Maybe spraying twice a day is taking it a bit slowly, but at least the paint seems dry. I'm having to spray outside on my workshop deck, and a small disaster struck when my girlfriend emptied the vacuum cleaner. Oh well, its character....

So, the plan is to have a look tomorrow, and if I'm happy with the paint then I'll leave it all day in the nice warm, dry workshop, and polish tomorrow evening, then the stickers and final chrome bits!

In the meanwhile the tracking has been sorted out and seems ok. Got it to follow a floor board down the length of the workshop (without running over any planes).

Almost there.....

Al

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:10 am

Hey I had a similar crawler a few years back the green 1:8 max stone, I really liked the size and quality for the crazy good price, At the time I was gona build a monster truck out of it with clod tires and a shorter wheel base, but before that I broke a inner c knuckle so i sold it. I regreted selling it right away.

So just today after seeing yours I re-orderd the same orange hsp version. I cant wait till it shows up. Im gona keep it a crawler this time and ordered all the orange alloy hop up right off the bat.

Your gona love your clod BTW, I built a few shaft drive smt's and such but nothing drives like a moa clod with 4 wheel steer. So much fun.

Only upgrades id recomend is oil filled shocks ASAP! The stock plastic bouncers with the giant bumb stops dont hardly work and will tear other parts up really quick like the radius arm mounts and shock tabs....

Owl

Post by Owl » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:02 am

Glad yo hear you getting another crawler! They are such fun, certainly more fun than the short course truck when at home. I really enjoy driving at night, hence all the lights on mines.

Can't wait to try the clod out. Going out to the workshop just now to check the paint....

Owl

Post by Owl » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:52 pm

:)
IMG-20180801-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20180801-WA0004.jpg
She's all done! I'm very happy with how she drives
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NorthernNightmare
Approved Member

Post by NorthernNightmare » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:52 pm

That looks very cool, tribal flames are still cool in my book :)

You got billet chromed the axle bumpers?

Owl

Post by Owl » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Thanks! I'm pretty happy. The axle bumpers are just painted

Al

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:50 am

Looks great. Your patience paid off.

Owl

Post by Owl » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks! I learned a lot, and actually enjoyed the painting. It's by no means perfect, but I doubt anyone will notice.

Added the head lights, and am waiting for the silicone to dry. I was going with a full light kit, but couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the body! Seems a bit pointless anyway, so put the light kit into my crawler(which now has a LOT of lights)

Al

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:19 pm

Looks good now enjoy it and upgrade as you break things.

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:19 pm

You did install ball bearings when you built it right?

ratpower396
Approved Member

Post by ratpower396 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:22 pm

Looked like plastic bushings in your build pic. Definitely want to add bearings will save on wear and increase run time and performance.

Owl

Post by Owl » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:03 pm

I wanted the bearings, but the shop were out unfortunately. On my list of to do things..

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:29 pm

Owl wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:47 pm
I'm having to spray outside on my workshop deck, and a small disaster struck when my girlfriend emptied the vacuum cleaner. Oh well, its character....
That's not good! #-o Looks like it's time to find a new girlfriend! :wink: :lol: :lol:

You can paint as fast as the instructions on the label say you can. Most of the time you can recoat within an hour or so, after that they like you to wait 24 to 48 hours before recoating. Every paint is different, so read the label. 8)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Owl

Post by Owl » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:20 am

Had the first proper run today, and I will be smiling for hours!!!! My expectations were pretty low. After all, its basically a 30 year old kit.

But what fun! Enough vooma to get out of shape on a slightly loose surface, enough bump steer to keep it confusing, and it's really not that slow (bearing in mind I mostly drive a crawler). Ok, it doesn't off road like my crawler, and is not as controllable as my torment when going fast, but then that's not what I expected.

All in all, its a lot more fun to drive than I thought it would be!!!! In fact, it is better than I dreamt it would be.

Owl is a very happy camper!!!!!!!!

Thanks for this forum, it is great. And the only forum I've come across where people actually build trucks instead of just shopping for parts
Al