Plowing Snow

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
Forum rules
Want to see your truck featured on the home page? Enter our monthly contest in the general discussion section!
andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Plowing Snow

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:26 am

If those axles are what you plan to use for plowing snow, I would consider one of the retro chassis out there. A terminator, or other race chassis is likely far from Ideal for plowing snow.

As for what to use for rod ends, the ones for the traxxas jato are good. These style are used on the e-maxx and e-revo as well, and often times the tow-links for the e-maxx are just the right link, and since they are tow- links (think tie-rods) they are easy to adjust to get your axle squared up. I used to get mine off ebay.

All that said, I don't think you'll be able to use that center/top piece as that's for mounting the triangulating links up top and I'm not sure that's doable on anything but a race style chassis.... but then again, nothing says you have to use it either.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:28 am

Totally agree with Halgar, make your own links and adapt them to the stock chassis. Its not that hard to do. Heck, I have even converted a stock Clod chassis over to center transmission mount running Gmade Portal axles.
Jeff

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:31 am

andymac0035 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:26 am

All that said, I don't think you'll be able to use that center/top piece as that's for mounting the triangulating links up top and I'm not sure that's doable on anything but a race style chassis.... but then again, nothing says you have to use it either.
Good point Andy, and even if you still decide to use a stock Chassis, their is a enough mounting holes in the brackets on the each end of the axles to accommodate your build.
Jeff

JasonDog3

Post by JasonDog3 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:48 am

OK.... So, I just ordered the 4 link setup from Crawford. I will keep the same wheel base. I also got 2 waterproof servos coming for my 4WS. And I will be trying 55T 540 motors from RC4WD, running on 8.4 volts. For now, I'm keeping the stock chassis because I still want to have something left of the original truck.

What can I do for shocks? I don't anything fancy; when I plow, I actually lock up the front shocks with rubber spacers so that they have almost no travel.
Last edited by JasonDog3 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:50 am

andymac0035 wrote:
If those axles are what you plan to use for plowing snow, I would consider one of the retro chassis out there. A terminator, or other race chassis is likely far from Ideal for plowing snow.
That was my point, those axles don't belong on a truck that is going to be plowing snow ;)
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.
I'm stuck at Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:54 am

Steve C wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:50 am
andymac0035 wrote:
That was my point, those axles don't belong on a truck that is going to be plowing snow ;)
Actually, I think they are perfect for Snow plowing duties. The metal adds more weight and will help with moving the snow around. Too much weight on those axles for a race truck.
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:59 am

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:47 am

SFC K wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:54 am
Steve C wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:50 am
andymac0035 wrote:
Actually, I think they are perfect for Snow plowing duties. The metal adds more weight and will help with moving the snow around. Too much weight on those axles for a race truck.
I wasn't saying to make it a race truck, you guys are all missing what I am saying lol. Just because you use a chassis such as a terminator or some other "race" chassis doesn't mean it has to be a race truck. I like the race chassis and other race parts like that just because they are nice quality and offer lots of adjustments for bashing or for anything you want to do with the truck. I always used "race" chassis's on my trucks back in the day even though they never set tire on a race track and only bashed. The only reason I am saying those axle don't belong on a truck plowing snow is because they are too pretty and look like they should be shown off and not pushing a pile of snow around. I'm sure just like a real plow truck the extra weight will help plow, but personally I would use them on a show/scale/pretty build rather than a plow truck . When I think of a plow truck, polished and shiny axles aren't the first thing that comes to mind for a hard working plow truck, but that's just me :mrgreen:
I hear the train a comin'; it's rollin' 'round the bend, And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when.

Halgar
Administrator

Post by Halgar » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:40 pm

JasonDog3 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:48 am
What can I do for shocks? I don't anything fancy; when I plow, I actually lock up the front shocks with rubber spacers so that they have almost no travel.
For the stock setup a 3" shock will do the trick, but they may not be what you need once you convert to the new axles and links, especially if you upgrade the chassis. So I would recommend you figure out where you want this build to go and work to that end, rather than buying random parts in the moment and having to replace them later.

One of my trucks had oils shocks, which smoothed out the ride quite nicely. The other truck had the stock shocks that I had massaged for more travel and then I added more breather holes in the rim so that the tires were able to absorb some of the bouncing as well.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

JasonDog3

Post by JasonDog3 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:22 am

OK... this is proving to be a difficult project. Anyway, I think I got the front axle installed, but I'm not exactly happy with it. Seems likes nothing wanted to line up just right.

Anyway.. when I install my Mudslinger tires, they rub against the new big-bore shocks, and I can't even get the wheel fully installed on the axle because of the interference caused by the shock. Also, when I engage the steering, the tires rub against the new 4-link rods I installed. Actually, they don't just rub, they get jammed up. So...

Seems like I need some kind of spacer to push my wheels out a little bit so they clear the shocks and the 4-link rods. Any suggestions of what part I can get to easily accomplish this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:10 am

JasonDog3

Post by JasonDog3 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:29 am

I think this project is beyond my expertise. I got the front axle installed with the correct wheel-spacers installs. And look! It's totally off center. What is going wrong here? I'm on the verge of quitting this project and returning to my original axles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:40 am

It's hard to tell just from the one pic, but are you sure you have your links going to the same locations on each side? because from what I can tell from that pic the inner link on the right seems to be attached behind the axle, and the inner link on the left looks to be mounted on something more under the axle. Can you take some other pics so we can get a bit better look and see what you have going on there?

Steve C
Approved Member

Post by Steve C » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:44 am

These right here I circled are the ones that look like they are in different mounting locations from what the picture looks to be. Make sure they are both mounted in the same location side to side, and make sure the brackets themselves that mounts to the axle are uniformly located as well.

JasonDog3

Post by JasonDog3 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:25 pm

Steve C wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:44 am

These right here I circled are the ones that look like they are in different mounting locations from what the picture looks to be. Make sure they are both mounted in the same location side to side, and make sure the brackets themselves that mounts to the axle are uniformly located as well.
You were right. I made the adjustment. Now see!
DSCN5169.jpg