ClodTynMan - Clod Build - Project Phoenix

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
TynClodMan

Re: ClodTynMan - Clod Build - Project Phoenix

Post by TynClodMan »

And the build Continues.
some new parts. first off, Boom Racing Type -E Recon G6 shocks (really needed the upper ball end to make the inside shock mount setup work). Next up Aliexpress.com Aluminum Axial Yeti replacement links (upper and lower)
IMG_5732.jpg
IMG_5733.jpg
IMG_5735.jpg
A Pics of everything all laid out ready for Build Night!
IMG_5739.jpg
A quick little strip down and clean up of the axles
IMG_5740.jpg
Testing out the angle I will be able to get with the new shocks
IMG_5742.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TynClodMan

Post by TynClodMan »

My goal with these new links was to mount the lowers in the inside mounting position on the wraith base plate and put the uppers on the extended outer mount positions on the wraith plate. I also wanted to mount the bottom of the shock directly to the lower links instead of the lower link mounts.... the new lower links didn't want to cooperate (the snag i mentioned earlier) the ball end in these links didn't have anywhere near the articulation that my old links did. They weren't able to spread wide enough at the axle end to line up with the lower link mounts I had on there. so i got frustrated wasted a bunch of time trying things then decided to finish the build as a test mock up so i at least had something to work from later. I moved the lower links on the wraith plate to the extended outer mounting positions (ones intended for the upper links) this gave me a little more width to be able to hook them up to the axles. at least here they had a bit of room to move.
IMG_5743.jpg
IMG_5744.jpg
Here is a close up of the ball ends in case you are curious
IMG_5745.jpg
Finally a quick mock up of the chassis with lower links and shocks in place
IMG_5746.jpg
IMG_5747.jpg
IMG_5748.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TynClodMan on Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

TynClodMan

Post by TynClodMan »

problem #2...
Because the lower links were attached to the wraith plate in the wrong position, this pushed them out a good 1/2-3/4" further than was intended. That extra spacing was supposed to be used by the upper links to make up for the fact that they and the bottom links are roughly the same length. The uppers have a little further to go to reach the upper link mount. So I had to throw in the old angled Orange links in order to make my connection........wow... supper long wheelbase I wasn't planing on..... This also put my shocks dangerously close to my motor wires.. I wasn't happy but I had to call er a night and come back with a clear head.
IMG_5750.jpg
IMG_5752.jpg
IMG_5753.jpg
IMG_5756.jpg
IMG_5759.jpg
Last edited by TynClodMan on Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

TynClodMan

Post by TynClodMan »

The next morning I was determined to find a setup that I would like....
First off I tried one side of the truck using only the upper links as both upper and lowers. It looked ok... but thought they looked a little weak as lower links...
IMG_5760.jpg
IMG_5761.jpg
IMG_5762.jpg
Last edited by TynClodMan on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TynClodMan

Post by TynClodMan »

With the Upper links in the correct position on at least this side.. i set out to at least do everything I could to see if I could get the lower links to work. On my buddies advise, I set out to trim away at the Wraith Skid plate to see If I could get a little more angle to the links. At the very least I was going to reduce any binding so they could move up and down easier.
IMG_5773.jpg
IMG_5774.jpg
IMG_5776.jpg
I also had to move the base of the shock back to the lower link mount which, worked out in my favor as it got them away from the motor wires. But after all was said and done... I was ablt to get the lower links in place... and get my wheelbase back to normal.
IMG_5763.jpg
IMG_5764.jpg
IMG_5777.jpg
IMG_5775.jpg
Here is a shot of the inside shock mount setup
IMG_5780.jpg

TynClodMan

Post by TynClodMan »

A final couple shots with the body on showing full shock travel and with my intended slop for a lower ride. I was much happier with this setup. Although it won't lend itself to a great crawler setup due to the lower links not allowing much individual articulation.. they are a pretty sturdy base for a bashing setup. They move great up and down to take the impact from jumps. On that note I took her out tonight for the first big bashing run since the setup was complete.. and true to clod fashion when bashing... I broke some stuff. Including one of the new upper links. although I might be able to compress it back onto the ball end. Another victim was the front steering servo. almost tore it clean off the mount.... it was having issues during my build though. It seemed to get stuck sometimes as I was handling the car. Might have got stuck during my run. I'll post those pics another night and prolly some more fine tuning of the link setup and electronics cleanup. Good Night for now....
IMG_5784.jpg
IMG_5783.jpg

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Man, you have some nice parts on there and glad you figured out the linkage issues. That sucks that the shocks were going to rub on the motor wires too. They looked great mounted to the lower links.

Is it me or are the lower link/shock mounts bowing in? I think it is an optical allusion from the photo, but it looks like the axle tubes are bowed from the lower links pulling on them???
Jeff