Help me decide a course of action

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
mpking

Help me decide a course of action

Post by mpking »

I have a early model Clodbuster (Think it has Chevy detailing), that has been gathering dust in my parent's basement since the mid 90's. (Seems like it's a tale that is often told)

It snapped the fame where the suspension arms mount the last time I used it, and has been shelved ever since then.

Sorry, no pictures, it's behind a mountain of stuff, but I know it's there.

It was bone stock, with the exception of the Light Kit in the headlights.

Easter Day, while at my parents, my 10 year old nephew was enthralled with the across the street neighbor. He had a nitro truck, and was running across his acre sized lot across the street for about 15 minutes or so. He seemed to be hooked.

So here's the facts.
The truck is complete, including radio's (I have no idea the channel number), minus the aforementioned broken suspension arm mount.
I also have a complete 4x4 Toyota Celica (Running on the TA-01 chassis) and a FX 10 (all three on separate radios).
The Celica is really an on-road car, the FX10 was a fun buggy, and we all know the performance characteristics of a stock Clod.

All of this stuff is over 25 years old. I Know the Celcia runs, I had it running about 1 year ago (Bought a new battery for it). I have no idea on the status of the motors on the FX10 or the Clodbuster. (I'm pretty sure the motor on the FX10 was toast when it got shelved 20 years ago)

Here's the question:
Should I repair the Clodbuster (This looks like it might do the job: http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... cts_id=703 )
and maybe a new motor for the FX10 and give all three cars to my nephew? Maybe buy some new batteries and charger gear as well. (Seems like it'd be less than $100 for 3 cars)

Would I be better off selling the lot, and just buying him a new ready to run truck?
Traxxis has one called the LaTrax Teton for $140
https://latrax.com/products/teton-1 that seems like it runs like the dickens. Considering it's smaller, it might be a better fit for a 10 year old's backyard.

I have concerns about breakage and him finding parts for my old stuff. But some of the best things I remember was putting the R/C's together.

Thoughts?

Fatcatcustomz
Approved Member

Re: Help me decide a course of action

Post by Fatcatcustomz »

That's a tough one really. But here's an idea I didn't see! Pick him up the Tenton and fix the clod up for yourself so you two can enjoy some running time together!

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Sell off the other two and use the funds to get the Clod up and running again if they do not have any sentimental value to you. :wink:

I would repair the Clod, and that chassis brace is the ticket for strengthening the plastic tub. I would get a new tub as well. They are super cheap. Once you get the parts gathered up, sit down with your nephew and start tearing it apart and rebuild it. Often times, parents buy their kids RTR RC's and when it breaks, they have no idea how to fix it. I have seen it so many times on forums. You eluded to that in your last sentence, so pass the knowledge! They will get way more out of it like you did. :)
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

As the resident fan of the stock tub..... :mrgreen: I agree with getting a new stock chassis, but disagree with getting that brace.
I'm betting you have the old edition with the red bumpers?.... in more recent years tamiya addressed the weakness with a set of braces that went inside the chassis and I think it looks MUCH cleaner that way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tamiya-Supe ... SwZ8ZW3dH8

The braces are on the left, the little ones replace the nuts that hold the ball studs for the ladders bars.
The large one goes in the bottom of the chassis. The ball studs for the red "wings" screw into it.

mpking

Post by mpking »

Yes, My stuff is Red.

So stealing this photo from an ebay listing:

Where mine broke is not the blue "wings" mounting points, but where the black "things" (Ladder bars?) mount on the ball joints.

Essentially the ball joint is ripped right out of the plastic. Your saying the braces would help with this? The plastic itself cracked. Granted, I'm still working off memory. I'll make a trip today and dig the thing out. I need to evaluate what else needs to be replaced. (I see a lot of mention of the tires getting flatspots)

Anyways, picking up that metal parts bag, and a new chassis (Like this one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TAMIYA-SUPE ... SwoydWiwwe), and it should be better than new?
Not bad for around $30

How about the radios? My old kit still works, any restrictions on this stuff? or is it 2.4 required? Might have to find some speed controller lube. (Yes, it's that stock, that it still has the servo controlled speed controller)

to answer SFC, yes the stuff has sentimental value to me, but I think I'd more enjoy watching him enjoy it, rather than it sit in boxes like this stuff has for the last 25 years. It's doing nobody any good hidden away.

88st165
Approved Member

Post by 88st165 »

Man I really want to get the 4x4 celica body (st165) for my TT-01, I have the 1:1 car. They seem to be pretty pricey, at least when I was looking a while back.

As for the Teton, I think they are great cars (I have 2). Surprised me on how fast they were stock and I have a blast driving them. Shattered an a-arm but stock plastic parts are cheap and easy to work on. It has a learning mode that reduces power so would be good for a kid's first rc. A buddy of mine loved mine so much he scored one on ebay for $67 with 2 batteries not too long ago. I like it bc its so easy to transport, just toss it in a backpack and go. I even put my tt-01 drift wheels on it and drift around in the house.

I agree with the others, keep the clod for yourself atleast until you're ready to hand over the torch. I am new to the clod but I am really enjoying it in stock form (for now).

clod teton.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

mpking wrote:Yes, My stuff is Red.

Where mine broke is not the blue "wings" mounting points, but where the black "things" (Ladder bars?) mount on the ball joints.
Essentially the ball joint is ripped right out of the plastic. Your saying the braces would help with this? The plastic itself cracked.
Yes, the "black things" are the ladder bars.

Here's a pic showing the braces in place. You can see the large one on the bottom that holds the ball studs from the red "wings", and the smaller ones on each side that hold the larger ball studs for the ladder bars. The braces cover more surface area, adding strength and support. I'm known as "Captain Kaboom!" around here. I got that name for constantly putting waaaaaay too much speed and power to some of my earlier clodbusters. In all this time, I'm never had a chassis break in those spots, the braces always did their job.