time for electronics on a new build brushless

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
BLAZE86DUBZ
Approved Member

time for electronics on a new build brushless

Post by BLAZE86DUBZ »

im in the process of doing a new clod build now its time for electronics def want to go brushless just not sure what to get whats the best setup for get up and go and some speed as well ?? are kershaw designs any good ?? what do you people run i need some input please

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: time for electronics on a new build brushless

Post by andymac0035 »

It would help if you gave us an idea of what kind of speed you want and what chassis set-up you plan to use.

BLAZE86DUBZ
Approved Member

Post by BLAZE86DUBZ »

i ordered the cpe teriminator carbon fiber one i got the axels from a member on here there built slightly as for speed i want it to move pretty good it be nice to have some nice take off as well so if possible a combination of bolth speed and torque

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

The castle SV3 combo's are pretty popular. I would say go 5700kv or higher if you plan to run 2S, or consider the 4600kv motor if you want to go from 2S to 3S depending on how stupid-fast you plan to drive that day. Be warned, once you start down this path (brushless).... the sucking sound you hear will be the $$$ coming out of your wallet.... LOL

BLAZE86DUBZ
Approved Member

Post by BLAZE86DUBZ »

thanks for the info are those direct bolt in?? the moters? should i run a 13 tooth pinion? and also someone told me about kershaw designs has anyone run those brushless setups before?? are they any good?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Most 540-sized (as well as 550 sized) motors are a direct bolt in. I would recommend buying a pair of robinson racing 13-tooth, 32-pitch pinions, as the stock tamiya ones wear out fast, especially with brushless. If your axles still are all stock, they have bushings, which you will want to replace with bearings.

Outside of the clod-world, most things you know about brushless won't apply. The clodbuster uses a (crawler-like) 30:1 gear ratio, which is a LOT lower than most other things out there. For the most part it does not matter what brand of brushless combo's (you will need TWO motors AND TWO esc's), what does matter is that you go for high kv (or low-turn) motors, since the gearing is so low. Most people find it's easier to buy motors to match the stock gearing, as opposed to dealing with adding adjustable motor mounts.

Oh and if using a 2 channel radio you will need a servo Y-harness to run both esc's off of the same channel.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

I will throw this out and just stumbled upon them on FB. Alien Power systems does make multiple single ESC's for dual brushless motor applications. I don't have any experience with them and the foot print of the ESC for some are large. Something to consider. Only issue I see is they are from overseas and I have not seen many reviews on them.

http://alienpowersystem.com/product-cat ... 4658203125
Jeff

BLAZE86DUBZ
Approved Member

Post by BLAZE86DUBZ »

so if i look for a brushless setup what size can do i look for a 540 size or 550 size can setup?? or the kv? do they have direct bolt in ?? or do i have to get the adjustable moter mount ?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

540 sized can would be best, and it's a direct bolt-on.

BLAZE86DUBZ
Approved Member

Post by BLAZE86DUBZ »

thanks i think im going with the sv3 4600 setup does anyone have any vidoes of this setup?? ide like to see what im getting into lol

BLAZE86DUBZ
Approved Member

Post by BLAZE86DUBZ »

im going to be running the cpe terminator chassie with 2 sv3 4600 esc is it better to run 2 lipo's or 1 3 s ?

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

BLAZE86DUBZ wrote:thanks i think im going with the sv3 4600 setup does anyone have any vidoes of this setup?? ide like to see what im getting into lol
I haven't done videos or speed tests yet, but I am running dual SV3 4600 with a single 2S 50C on a mostly stock Clodbuster. With the max power and punch turned down I can still easily flip over backwards. I drive mostly in backyard and on a school field and really any more speed wouldn't be useful. Of course ask that again in a few months...

My original plan was single 3S on stock motors but new motors arrived before the battery so I never tried it.

BLAZE86DUBZ
Approved Member

Post by BLAZE86DUBZ »

whats a good servo and servo saver??