Reviving my ~1993 clodbuster

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
bunnyboy
Approved Member

Re: Reviving my ~1993 clodbuster

Post by bunnyboy »

I wasn't expecting the discharge rate of nimh vs lipo to make such a big difference. 2s is now into ridiculous territory, not even going to bother with 3s :)

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

don't wire them to the same switch unless it's a double pole, single throw switch, so each circuit is isolated. each esc would need it's own pole.

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

Castle says one switch is fine because they are using the same battery, haven't tried it yet.

I have been getting so many parts for all my other vehicles that I forgot I had a big box coming. New tires! B&H Monster and shiny wheels. They felt huge in the box but are the same size as stock. Still waiting on shock oil so everything is still disassembled.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

You don't need to make just one switch. I seem to recall only having to turn one on.... and they both came on.
Was unnerving to me though..... I'd switch both on and off at the same time.... just for my piece of mind.

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

Kids watching Monster Jam is what prompted all the RC cars coming out of the attic so it was nice to see a real one today. We see the show on Sat and it is supposed to be raining!

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm »

Where you from man? Monster Jam is this weekend in Cincy. That would be cool to have a local Clodtalk guy to run some RC monsters with!
Monster trucks rule :)

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

~30 miles from SF, so we are going to the Santa Clara show. Last time I went was ~2001 and that was a small indoor arena, this time is the outdoor 49ers stadium.

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm »

Darn oh well! Ours is in a little arena as well...not that exciting compared to what I have seen on youtube in the big outdoor areas. You should have a blast!
Monster trucks rule :)

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

New wheels and tires are awesome, new shocks will probably not stay. The big bores are shorter than stock so I lose valuable travel (haven't cut much of the tub yet) and they still feel stiff even with 2# springs and 10wt oil.

From this pict I can see I need to paint the inside of the body too: https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-x ... 6323_o.jpg

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

At 75% max power, 0 timing, and 40% punch, 17mph on road. https://www.strava.com/activities/540328319 A few crashes when I tried to turn too fast and rolled instantly :)

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

3S became unusable :) I haven't glued my new tires yet so they were being pulled off the wheels. Couldn't get a good speed test other than ~20 mph on deep wet grass. With glued tires it will certainly go much faster. There is also a high minimum speed so not good for backyard.

I am considering changing pinions to get smoother low speed, but betting brushless is just a bad option for that by design. Also would need to find adjustable motor mounts that work with the stock ladder bars. I have ~0.3" of space with the current motors.

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

Monster Jam was great, but it was constant slight rain so the trucks were sliding everywhere and couldn't get traction for the big jumps. Good highlights video I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVzAtiCxb30

Today I put on the extra metal braces from the Super Clod version. Have only broken off things like the roll bar lights (thanks 3s) but I expect more in the future... Glued new tires so wheelies should be back. Saw this servo guard and wondered if the same idea could be used to make a wheelie bar, while keeping the stock bumpers and steering: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281194539402 Still would need someone else to fab it though.

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

Got some GDS shocks today because they were amazingly cheap. The length is better than the big bores (110mm) but they don't appear to be oil shocks so they much better than the stock ones =]

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

Now with switched lights, bec (not yet programmed), correct length shocks, low profile body mounts, and more cut from tub. Possibly finished until I break something, except for cable management :) My first car, Kyosho Raider Pro, also revived and power turned way down so my 2 year old can crash into things. My brother is buying a crawler and my minimum speed is pretty high so I might need to get a tank.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Nice color combo's!!! :thumbsup: