Reviving my ~1993 clodbuster

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
bunnyboy
Approved Member

Reviving my ~1993 clodbuster

Post by bunnyboy »

My daughter watches Monster Jam, so I thought she might be old enough (4 years now) to drive my old clodbuster. Pulled a few dusty boxes out of the attic, made a trip to the hobby shop for new batteries, and now it runs! She had fun driving too so now it is time for some upgrades.

My main plan is to keep it looking stock with 4WS, no 4 link or dual servos. I really like the red bumpers. That also means no 550s or adjustable motor mounts. After many days of reading these forums I think I have decided on SV3, 3S lipo, stock motors. I do not care about top speed and hope to not break very much. That also gives a good path forward to brushless, and I can turn down the power when kids drive. So much tech that didn't exist last time the truck moved!

I am also planning on Traxxas Big Bores, but need to figure out if keeping 8 shocks still works, and they must be red. Will only be doing small jumping and running into things so anything should be better than the stock bounce.

Need lots of small bits, missing screws, headlight kit, get flat spots out of tires, replace pinions, etc. Maybe I should finish painting it some time too...

SFC K

Re: Reviving my ~1993 clodbuster

Post by SFC K »

Cool looking vintage stocker! I like the graphics used too. It kind of reminds me of the paint jobs you see on the RC10 gold pan bodies.

Looking forward to seeing some upgrades and please swap your tires around. They are on backwards. :wink:
Jeff

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

Maybe I just like driving in reverse better? :)

Edit: Found my first car! This is what I got before the clod, Kyosho Raider Pro. My paint was based on that one which was also black instead of white:

Last edited by bunnyboy on Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

What I would suggest shock/wise is to get 4 red shocks and replace four of the stock ones with them. Then take the springs off of the 4 stock ones. This will give you the look, without being over-dampened.

If you've read my Grave Digger thread, you know what I would suggest for the steering.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30540

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

I read that thread and swapped the ball end yesterday! Need to cut away more of the chassis too. I haven't messed with the throw yet because my old high torque servo popped a cap. There is already a very large horn so I would bet it is already at max range. I was also thinking of better ball ends for the entire chain to remove some of the play. Of course something I can paint red to match is important.

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

Ball bearings in and everything regreased. Shocks and electronics arrive next week. Through some NES cart dealings (I run http://www.retrousb.com ) I am getting 2x SV3+4600kv so I will have to turn down the max power before everything explodes. Also should probably get a 2s pack instead of 3s...

I just saw that tire chains exist and might need to build some :)

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

^^^ Awesome pic!... Start em' young!

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

Electrics test passed! Got/made the adapters to run 1x batt and receiver, 2x esc and motors. Still need to replace the connector on the cheapo battery because it is impossible to unplug without cut fingers. Hopefully pinions and shocks get here tomorrow so I can reassemble and run.

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

Reassembled! Time to take it all apart again!

Unfortunately not yet driving because I don't have the castlelink programmer to make one motor reverse. Also need to redo the shocks because the Big Bores are (expectedly) too stiff. I found some vintage soft tamiya oil and changed to the 3 hole piston but that might not be enough. I think I will have to find the lightest oil and make a 4 hole piston so I can keep 2 shocks per wheel. Really want to keep 8 red springs, or maybe paint the shock bodies...

The rod ends on the shocks are really nice with no play, so I am closer to changing out all the stock ones in the steering chain. Another thing that needs to be painted red...

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

the castles aren't sensored are they? can't you just swap two of the three wires to get reverse?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

^^^ Yes you can indeed do that.

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

Well that was easy! I am not used to being able to swap random wires and have things not catch fire. Will actually get some running time tonight. At least a week until new parts get here so I am just running 4 shocks for now and I think it looks bad :) Haven't been able to get the flat/soft spots out of my tires so new ones and chrome hubs coming too. Glad I already knew this was a money pit...

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

Only did a few minutes in the backyard, but I think I won't bother with trying to make the steering better. There is already suspension flex so getting better rod ends will probably just move the slop to there instead. I'm not doing any racing so precise steering isn't that important anyways.

This is my first experience with brushless, and hopefully I just need more config/calibration on ESC. Seems to be no very slow movement and sometimes theres no response unless I completely release the throttle. Haven't tried max speed yet, not willing to break stuff this soon :) Tires also needed new glue so no wheelies.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Put some wide rubber bands in one, or both of the wheel beads (that's what I do), or use silicone, or shoe-goo if you must glue them.
Sooner or later you will break some wheels, and tamiya plastic is not friendly to the usual methods of de-glueing tires.

bunnyboy
Approved Member

Post by bunnyboy »

Yup I used shoe goo this time, just a couple dots per wheel. Still slowly turning up the power so I am starting to get into wheelie range. 2S battery arrived today so I will finally be all modern! Still waiting on springs/oil, and I need to cut more out of the tub to get longer travel. I also should have stripped the body before trying to work on the paint. Blue painters tape tore off sheets of my original black paint. Apparently the 13 year old me didn't know about things like primer.

I need to find a small wheelie bar for the stock frame that lets me keep the red axle bumpers. Only need something to keep it from dragging the body bumper, I still want the front wheels up high :)

Anyone know if you can wire up 2x SV3 to the same power switch? If not I guess I could use the power/economy for one of them.