New Here. Is this worth making road worthy?

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
Guitarist365

New Here. Is this worth making road worthy?

Post by Guitarist365 »

Hi all,

New here. I had this thing in storage for over 10 years. I bought it this way used. I never did anything with it. I am getting back into RC and was wondering if this is worth doing something with? Or should I just get Axial rock crawler of some sort? Thanks for any info. It does not have any servos and I might have a new FM controller and receiver but no ESC. I have been out of RC for over 10 years and have no clue where to start.

http://imgur.com/a/cATYY

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: New Here. Is this worth making road worthy?

Post by andymac0035 »

Looks pretty nice to me, I would just update it with new electronics.... which have come a LONG ways in the last 10 years.

First thing you will have to decide on is a new (2.4 ghz) radio.
Then pick servo(s), and finally choose an esc.

There's so many radio's out there the easiest way to narrow it down would be price and what you need it to do (features).

Servo is pretty cut and dried.... how much torque you want vs what are you willing to spend?

For esc... I would consider the castle SV3. It is a brushless esc, but has an option to run brushed motors, and is tunable including a drag brake.

Guitarist365

Post by Guitarist365 »

Thanks for the Info. I am going to start pricing out what it will cost to get this thing running.

Fatcatcustomz
Approved Member

Post by Fatcatcustomz »

First off, welcome aboard! Second I don't know if you know what that is, but you are sitting on a gold mine! That JPS chassis is highly sought after. If I were you, I'd clean it all up and shelf it. I've seen Jps trucks bring insane money!!! I myself would cringe seeing that thing beat on.

Guitarist365

Post by Guitarist365 »

Yup I am clueless. So your saying get it working then make it a shelf Queen? I was running nitro trucks back when the Tmax first came out. Then buggys. Bought this and never did anything with it.

Fatcatcustomz
Approved Member

Post by Fatcatcustomz »

I wouldn't do anything with it as far as electronics go. Shelf queens are pointless when they have motors and esc's lol. More money you save for something else you want.

Guitarist365

Post by Guitarist365 »

I hear you. Selling certainly might be an option if I am not going to do anything with it. Thanks again for the help and info.

Fatcatcustomz
Approved Member

Post by Fatcatcustomz »

Sent you a pm

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm »

That thing is sweet. I would certainly fix it up with mild electronics and run it. I never really like the idea of complete shelf queen. I mean, you don't have to bash the crap out of it, just rip around the yard a bit. It's a piece of Clod history you have there. I wouldn't expect it to be some kind of crawler or whatever (I heard you mention a new Axial truck) go ahead and get a new truck for that duty! :thumbsup:
Monster trucks rule :)

Guitarist365

Post by Guitarist365 »

Thanks for the info. I am weighing my options on should I bring the monster to life or sell and finance a part of the purchase of Axial. I never owned a Clod so I probably do not have the history with them like most of the members of this forum. It is kinda fun to realize the thing i had stored away is actually not a pile of junk.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Nice Clod and the sway bar link set-up is cool! I would clean it up and shelf it like some have mentioned. You don't see many of those any more. :shock:
Jeff

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm »

Guitarist365 wrote:Thanks for the info. I am weighing my options on should I bring the monster to life or sell and finance a part of the purchase of Axial. I never owned a Clod so I probably do not have the history with them like most of the members of this forum. It is kinda fun to realize the thing i had stored away is actually not a pile of junk.
At least you had the intelligence to search around online and post here. Vintage Clod stuff holds legit sentimental value to many people in the RC world, and that means some $$ for someone like you that wants to off-load that "ol pile o' junk in the closet" :wink:

Makes me wonder though how many people out there would just toss something like that in the trash, donate to goodwill, or sell to pawn shop for like $10...
Monster trucks rule :)

Guitarist365

Post by Guitarist365 »

Yea I here what you are saying. I am not a RC expert by any means but have messed with Nitro stuff and some onroad electrics and I knew the motors were from a Clod but I never owned one or got this thing running. I just thought it was a crawling chassis. So I guess I am going to get a Clod going. I am probably going to clean it up and get a basic ESC, Radio and Reciver. I guess the Motors on this thing are pretty old and decrepit but I might see if they run. If anyone has a suggestions to get this thing running. But after it is running I will probably only do light driving and keep it or sell it. Thanks all.

Fatcatcustomz
Approved Member

Post by Fatcatcustomz »

Good to hear! Get it cleaned up and just toss a basic dual motor esc in it and maybe some stock motors or Titans and slap it on eBay! You will be amazed and will have plenty to build something you really want!