New here. Stock chassis with 4 link plans.

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
88st165
Approved Member

New here. Stock chassis with 4 link plans.

Post by 88st165 »

Hi everyone. This is my first Clodbuster build as I am fairly new to the hobby grade rc car world. My first hobby grade rc car was a Tamiya tt01-ed 240z which I just recently received this past December. I decided to purchase that as a Christmas gift to myself because I tend to like to tinker during the winter months. I have a few 1:1 scale project cars that would typically keep me busy (old toyota cars) but with the recent arrival of our newborn son I knew I would be indoors during 99% of my “free time”. Well that started a growing storm of interest in the rc world.

Why the Clodbuster for me? Well honestly I was heavily pursuing the Traxxas Summit. I was watching them on ebay for several months to see if I can score a deal because I really liked the capabilities of that truck. The price is what kept me from pulling the trigger to get one but I feel it probably is worth the price considering what it can do. While looking for a Summit I stumbled upon a video of the Clodbuster bashing around. That took me back to my childhood when I remembered my next door neighbor had one. I remember wanting one so bad that I think the nostalgia really swung my decision to get one instead of a Summit. Plus I do prefer the scale-ish looks of the clod. I was holding out for something to come up on ebay however it seemed that even used or older vintage Clods were going for almost the same price as a new kit. I weighed my options and instead decided to get the kit so I can enjoy the assembly process as I did with my tt-01.

Assembly really helped me learn more about it. I would research modifications but had a hard time visualizing where exactly they would go or how they would benefit. After assembling the kit it gave me the understanding to pretty much answer any questions I had. This, combined with the tremendous amount of experience and knowledge that is available on ClodTalk, really helped me understand what outcomes to expect when certain things are done. So I thank all those who share and post their builds and answer the questions. As someone new to the world of Clods it really helped a lot.

Plans for this build is nothing that hasn’t been done before. Going to keep it fairly simple and hopefully reliable. I don’t plan to bash it too hard and I also wanted a truck this size to pull my son around in his wagon every once in awhile for fun (reason why I originally wanted the Summit). While I am waiting for parts to come in from CPE I have been enjoying the clumsy lumbering nature of the stock setup. It doesn’t help that I also am currently using a cheap and seemingly weak servo from tower hobbies i had laying around so it has the turning radius of a boat, unless that’s just how it normally performs. I’m hoping two axle mounted servos will help a lot with that even with the stock steering stops still in place. I look forward to how the modifications will improve the driving experience as well as overall look of the Clod.

Planned setup: (with links to other posts that helped my research)
Started with a new Super Clodbuster Kit
Futaba 3PL (hoping crab walk will work)
Bearing kit
Stock chassis with 4 link
DIY 4 link & steering links - viewtopic.php?f=57&t=27720
Traxxas emaxx shocks (8) - viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29957
Traxxas EVX 2 esc - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26661
Traxxas Titan 550 21t motors from erevo (on two 2s lipos; hoping it will offer a decent amount of torque for pulling on stock gearing)
Servos F&R CYS S0150 (analog) - viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30158
Kimbrough 124 Servo savers
Chassis brace - CPE-CLODBRACE
Dual shock mounts (I like the look of dual) - CPE-DUALSHK
Vertical servo mount - CPE-VERTSTR
Rear steer lockout plate (for future) - CPE-LOC1CF
4 link mounts - CPE-SHKLNKCF
Axle stiffeners - CPE-AXL1CF
Wheel spacers - CPE-CLODWIDE
*All parts purchased, just waiting for arrival before I start fabbing up the links.

Posts below mostly contain information about stock chassis and 4 link which I found helpful during research.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=27480
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26661
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30522
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29304&start=30
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30099&start=15
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30351
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29508
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=28424&start=105
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29319
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=28825
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29507&start=45

As far as paint. I am not so much a fan of the box art look so I am thinking of buying a set of the original style stickers or do a two tone type paint job like in the link below.
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.p ... opic=77846

I will post pictures of my progress once I get the parts and start building.

SFC K

Re: New here. Stock chassis with 4 link plans.

Post by SFC K »

First off, Welcome to the forum! 8) Second, You really did your home work and we really appreciate that! I see you even linked one of my old builds too! So glad that you were able to find threads here to help you during the build process, that is why we exist today! 8)

You will find that if you want to get maximum steering, the stubs and hub mod will be in order. Even with stock 4WS steering, adding a larger diameter servo horn helps. You may have seen the video here already. BTW, That is one heck of a parts listing too!

As for the Summit, they are pricey, so glad the Clod perked your interest as well. You will find we do not have a lot of Traxxas fans here. :wink:

Looking forward to your build! I think your thread will help a lot of others too as they are researching. :thumbsup:
Jeff

jdmerrill1240
Approved Member

Post by jdmerrill1240 »

Here is a link to improve your stock steering set-up until you do the vertical servo mounts
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30279&hilit=steering

Andy also did it on his grave digger build so you could also use his for reference
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30540
Juggernaut 2, Retro chassis Bigfoot, KK-1 Bigfoot 20, CPE Super Stallion, Boyer Digger , Why so serious?? Dark Knight KK-2

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I just joined and also just finished building a low budget clod.

check this link for some ideas, the 4 link setup I used is really similar to a stock chassis mount point.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30574

88st165
Approved Member

Post by 88st165 »

Hey guys thanks for the welcome. I got a chance to work on the steering a bit the other day. I took your advice and added a larger steering horn and did some aligning and wow this thing steers way better with all else being stock. It is definitely more enjoyable with that sorted out. Kind of funny that I was complaining earlier about the Summit being expensive as I've already exceeded the cost of one but man the Clod is so awesome and with the upcoming modifications I will just enjoy it more.

On a side note I found that a couple minutes of pulling my son in a basket on carpet will trip the stock ESC temp cutoff. But during that time it can pull him with ease. I'm curious on how the evx-2 will do with temp and stock motors. Currently just using a duratrax 7.2v 3000mah nimh and even with that its a lot quicker than I was anticipating from all the reviews I've read on here about its speed. This thing is a blast.

88st165
Approved Member

Post by 88st165 »

I'm still around and tinkering with the clod but not much progress to report yet.

I still have not received my CPE parts. I reached out politely via email for an update 3 days ago but still no communication. I don't mind waiting but wish there was even a hint of communication to know the status of the order, I don't think that's is an unreasonable request. I will continue to be patient.

I did build the suspension 4-links a couple weeks ago and it was as easy as it looks from the diy linked in the original post.
Here is what I used. If you shopped around hard enough you could prob get these things cheaper.

-.065"WALL 6061 1/4"OD 1/8"ID alum tube - 4ft ($27 onlinemetals.com) I bought (qty2) 4ft sections because I wanted extra as I plan to build my own chassis soon. Might need to make new links to adjust the wheel base.
-8-32 1.00"L studs (100pk $13 mcmaster carr)
-8-32 machine screw tap set ($8 for 3 taps on amazon)
-size 29 drill bit ($3 from amazon)
-Traxxas ball ends ($15 for 12pcs amazon)
-atlas super saw ($7 amazon)

I believe I used 5.875" eye to eye for the links to get close to the 12" wheelbase without using the link mounts but I will remeasure and confirm. Qty1 2ft section allowed me to build the 8 links plus the 2 front and back tie rods. Build the suspension links in my garage using the 2 drill method and it was fairly easy. For comparison I build the steering links in the machine shop at work and it was 100x easier and faster :lol:. As for the lengths for the long steering link I used 148mm which is really close to the lengths of the suspension links.

*I havent mounted them yet since I am waiting for the CPE parts*
IMG_4138.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

We are now back in the office after returning from the Monster Jam World Finals. We have a huge amount of orders to catch up on, with orders beginning to ship on 3/23. While we catch up, continue to use coupon code "MJWFXVII" and take 5% off your order!
It does suck to have to wait for parts, but this was from CPE Website, so Brett is probably trying to get caught up. I'm sure he will get back to you soon. I hope you got the 5% off your order though. :wink:
Jeff

88st165
Approved Member

Post by 88st165 »

I knew about them being out before I placed my order so I can't hold that against them. Just a simple quick reply to my inquiry would have been nice. I did get the 5% off when I placed my order.

88st165
Approved Member

Post by 88st165 »

The other day I got a chance to try out the EXV-2 esc with 2 matching duratrax onyx 3000mah 7.2v nimh batteries on the stock silver cans. Wow this thing woke up. The stock steering can barely hold the rear wheels straight at times. Run time when pulling my son around in a laundry basket has increase as well, havent hit the thermal cutoff like the stock esc would within a few minutes. Now I just have to figure out a good way to mount the second battery. Any suggestions?
IMG_4156.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a »

It you're still running the stock silver cans, get one 3s Lipo and you're good. Should make finding a space for 1 battery easier than 2...
Those motors wont last too long on 14.4 volts!

dubbl-a
Approved Member

Post by dubbl-a »

Also, the EVX-2 is a workhorse.
It'll take some serious beating to hit thermal shutdown.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

I know Andy and I have both done it and we put the second battery in-between the rear shock mounts on the stock chassis. I used Velcro strap to secure it from bouncing around.

Curious, what are you using for a tow hook on your Clod to hook up the wagon?
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

88st165 wrote:The other day I got a chance to try out the EXV-2 esc with 2 matching duratrax onyx 3000mah 7.2v nimh batteries on the stock silver cans. Wow this thing woke up. The stock steering can barely hold the rear wheels straight at times. Run time when pulling my son around in a laundry basket has increase as well, havent hit the thermal cutoff like the stock esc would within a few minutes. Now I just have to figure out a good way to mount the second battery. Any suggestions?
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=23804&start=30

88st165
Approved Member

Post by 88st165 »

dubbl-a wrote:It you're still running the stock silver cans, get one 3s Lipo and you're good. Should make finding a space for 1 battery easier than 2...
Those motors wont last too long on 14.4 volts!
That is definitely an option I will look into in the future. I need to figure out what I want to do before I go lipo. Currently only have nimh batteries. If I stick with the stock motors then 3s, but if I want to stick with the 550s then 2x 2s is the consensus, at least what I've read on here.
SFC K wrote:I know Andy and I have both done it and we put the second battery in-between the rear shock mounts on the stock chassis. I used Velcro strap to secure it from bouncing around.
Curious, what are you using for a tow hook on your Clod to hook up the wagon?
Right now I'm just pulling my son around in a laundry basket on carpet, <1yr so he's light enough. I just found some random length of twine tied around the rear axle and it does its job. I plan to make a diy hitch in the future as the ones Iv'e seen on ebay are link $75.
andymac0035 wrote:
88st165 wrote:The other day I got a chance to try out the EXV-2 esc with 2 matching duratrax onyx 3000mah 7.2v nimh batteries on the stock silver cans. Wow this thing woke up. The stock steering can barely hold the rear wheels straight at times. Run time when pulling my son around in a laundry basket has increase as well, havent hit the thermal cutoff like the stock esc would within a few minutes. Now I just have to figure out a good way to mount the second battery. Any suggestions?
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=23804&start=30

Thanks for the link andy. Not sure how I missed that one. That gives me an idea that maybe I can just cut and form some random alum sheet I have laying around into a tray and bolt it into that location as well using the holes that are right there on the chassis. The extra weight in the front seems to help with the flipping over until you need to hit the brakes or accidentally give too much throttle going in reverse. I'll try and get it as close to the centerline as I can.

Thanks for the ideas everyone 8)

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy »

Nice truck! There are so many modded Clods about its nice to see the almost stock ones with some small mods.
88st165 wrote:I knew about them being out before I placed my order so I can't hold that against them. Just a simple quick reply to my inquiry would have been nice. I did get the 5% off when I placed my order.
Lack of communication is part and parcel of dealing with CPE. You just have to get used to it, or order from somewhere else.