Wheely King Chassis Clod build

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
jwscab

Wheely King Chassis Clod build

Post by jwscab »

Have been into rc for quite a long time, had a long hiatus, and got back into it a few yrs ago. Have lots of buggies, couple of on-road, not a huge fan of racing trucks, but monster trucks, 4wd stuff was always neat. My brother and cousin both had clods at some point, so i worked on them, rode them around......so I have always known the limitations and weaknesses.

I built my sons a lunchbox from old bits and pieces of one I had, added a couple new parts, some hop ups, 35turn motor and esc for nice slow contro, etc. This works pretty well, though on standard grassy lawn type surfaces it can still get stuck once in a while, so thoughts were shifting to building them a crawler type truck to crunch stuff and plow over obstacles.....

of course, the crawlers are pretty awesome, but also $$$ where I am trying to do this on a budget kinda build.

So after scouring the net and this site for a bit, I stumbled on one the members trucks built out of a wheel king chassis which got the wheels turning. horsetrading some parts, build some things for people, i found a set of axles and wheels from a guy on Old School RC on FB for a decent price. Pretty well used, some damage, full bearings, partially locked diffs. SO I rebuilt them as open diffs (gorilla glue maybe for locking?) which was great, as the glue didn't stick very well.

On to the pics:

jwscab

Re: Wheely King Chassis Clod build

Post by jwscab »

My 6 yr old wanted to use the vette body, which was originally on my brothers clod. That pink color was supposed to be some kind of purple, but nothing i tried ever made it other than pink. Oh well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

short list of build:

wheel king chassis
4 link brace parts from ebay
servo savers, pinions and battery cups from cpe
stock motors from kit pullout on ebay
aluminum rods are all made by me, solid links 1/4", with #4 screw inserts
traxxas rod ends
standard servos with turnigy servo reverser
associated 1.32" shocks
misc hardware, end links, body mounts from the clod we used to have.
custom made (by me) 3/8" wheel wideners and axle nuts with jam screw

articulation is good, not great, it's a little slow with the stockers, but FUN, moves just like the real thing and steering is awesome. I messed up with the front servo mount, it crashes into the chassis early, so I have to add a front bumper mount instead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GRAVETXT-1

Post by GRAVETXT-1 »

Awesome I like the way you have incorporated the chassis bracing with the body mounts nicely thought out design throughout :thumbsup:
Alex

Grim Reaper, Valhalla, Ford Of The Dead, Kings Bounty, Gauntlet, Gauntlet # 2, Clawing Dead, Tech Noir

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

thanks! Yeah, I always hate when one part only serves one function if it is not a critical piece. If I can get two or more functions out a particular part, I am happy. So the cross braces also tie in the upper links, which also secure the battery tray. The battery stay is the radio tray, body mounts are tie into cross tubes, etc. it takes me a bit of time sometimes to build things because i try to think a few steps ahead.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Cool! You posted on your WK build here! I missed the part about you unlocking the diffs. Was it gorilla glue? I thought that stuff was hard to remove. What ever it was you got lucky. I had a set just recently that was locked with JB Weld. They are pretty much toast unless you want them locked.
Jeff

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I don't think they cleaned the gears very well. It was kind of resiny yellow glue globs, not too much. i guess it could have been some kind of epoxy, but since the gears were still greasy, it didn't stick.

yeah, i cleaned them out pretty good, I am thinking of going locked in the rear at some point, maybe when I build the front bumper steering set. i was going to wait until one of the axle tubes broke, they are pretty beat.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Yeah, that can be a mess to clean them, but you lucked out and not a lot was applied.
Jeff