Dusted my old Clod Buster off after 28 years!

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
wahrsuul
Approved Member

Re: Dusted my old Clod Buster off after 28 years!

Post by wahrsuul » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:09 pm

That's funny, I have several of that exact transmitter and also that battery charger :lol: I think it's your call, but if it has sentimental value, I'd restore it. With maybe a few aftermarket parts. For some reason, I can't enlarge the pics, but if the chassis is cracked where the suspension connects, I believe there's an aluminum brace that covers that whole area that would fix the issue.

The body "could" be fixed, but that would require lots of work - gluing, filling, sanding... Might be more trouble than it's worth, but it is doable.

The drive cases are fairly cheap on ebay right now, I picked up the whole "tree" with the cases and a couple other parts for around $10 just last month. Most of the other plastic parts are available as well.

As always, it's your call, but if you enjoyed putting it together the first time, you'll probably enjoy it the second too.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:32 pm

wahrsuul wrote:That's funny, I have several of that exact transmitter and also that battery charger :lol: I think it's your call, but if it has sentimental value, I'd restore it. With maybe a few aftermarket parts. For some reason, I can't enlarge the pics, but if the chassis is cracked where the suspension connects, I believe there's an aluminum brace that covers that whole area that would fix the issue.
Their is a aluminum brace on EBay that strengthens the side mounts and the lower all in one unit. CPE does sell them and another seller on EBay (sicnme?) I believe....
Jeff

fire488

Post by fire488 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:51 pm

wahrsuul wrote:That's funny, I have several of that exact transmitter and also that battery charger :lol: I think it's your call, but if it has sentimental value, I'd restore it. With maybe a few aftermarket parts. For some reason, I can't enlarge the pics, but if the chassis is cracked where the suspension connects, I believe there's an aluminum brace that covers that whole area that would fix the issue.

The body "could" be fixed, but that would require lots of work - gluing, filling, sanding... Might be more trouble than it's worth, but it is doable.

The drive cases are fairly cheap on ebay right now, I picked up the whole "tree" with the cases and a couple other parts for around $10 just last month. Most of the other plastic parts are available as well.

As always, it's your call, but if you enjoyed putting it together the first time, you'll probably enjoy it the second too.
Thank you for that info. I would like to get the kit to reinforce the original chassis but there are other cracks on it as well. I may have to change it. Not sure which one will work with the other parts. I'm a little lost with the kits and all.

fire488

Post by fire488 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:52 pm

SFC K wrote:
Their is a aluminum brace on EBay that strengthens the side mounts and the lower all in one unit. CPE does sell them and another seller on EBay (sicnme?) I believe....
Thank you for that I am searching EBay now.

fire488

Post by fire488 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:27 pm

Wow! I'm getting in over my head so I have to get back to basics with this.
On EBay I have surpassed the price of a new Super Clod. By the way are they the same aside from the color?
The parts I have added to my cart are just the broken parts. looks like an expensive venture. I want to do it though. Maybe I'm getting more than I need, but not sure.

Questions and I am not trying to avoid the leg work its just this is all new to me.

1- Parts? is Ebay my best option?
2- How to switch to LIPO?
3- if I decide to mod after all can anyone recommend a chassis kit that is stock looking but stronger?
4- Which radio control would be best for Clod Buster or any future vehicles I get?

This is so new and confusing, but I am excited and have been putting the time in.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:15 am

fire488 wrote: 1- Parts? is Ebay my best option?
3- if I decide to mod after all can anyone recommend a chassis kit that is stock looking but stronger?
4- Which radio control would be best for Clod Buster or any future vehicles I get?
My thoughts......!

1. eBay, CPE or I also use Jason's Store in Japan, although they do have an eBay shop as well.
2. You need a lipo compatible esc. I think the Hobbywing 1060 would be the best as you don't have to make a dual motor harness. You will also need a lipo charger. IMAX B6 us popular and cheap. Grab a lipo charge bag too.
3. Sicneme on eBay sells an aluminium version of the stock Clod chassis. Also available with longer wheelbase built in.
4. I go cheap on radios.... Hobbyking 2.4 radios are cheap. Ground Pounder radios are cool if you want to keep 4ws as you can switch between 2ws and 4ws easily.

fire488

Post by fire488 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:16 pm

Sixtys Guy wrote:
fire488 wrote: 1- Parts? is Ebay my best option?
My thoughts......!

1. eBay, CPE or I also use Jason's Store in Japan, although they do have an eBay shop as well.
2. You need a lipo compatible esc. I think the Hobbywing 1060 would be the best as you don't have to make a dual motor harness. You will also need a lipo charger. IMAX B6 us popular and cheap. Grab a lipo charge bag too.
3. Sicneme on eBay sells an aluminium version of the stock Clod chassis. Also available with longer wheelbase built in.
4. I go cheap on radios.... Hobbyking 2.4 radios are cheap. Ground Pounder radios are cool if you want to keep 4ws as you can switch between 2ws and 4ws easily.
Thank you very much for that. I am a complete novice with this and some of the acronyms are going to take a bit getting used to. As far as the products go I will need some time to fully understand what it is I need to do. EBay has so much stuff on it. Seems Amazon does too. I'll keep digging.

fire488

Post by fire488 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:14 pm

For kicks I tried to bring back the 7.2 v battery from the dead. I ran a full discharge on trickle overnight. I then hit it with a trickle charge for one hour. Then I hit it with a full charge for 15 minutes, let it trickle for 30 mins, then full for 15, then trickle for 15 then full for 15, then trickle till cooled down around 5 minutes, then full for 15 minutes. I then let it trickle charge overnight. I would then discharge the battery on full for 15 minutes, then trickle discharge over night.

I repeated this process for 2 days. I then used my automotive battery load tester and loaded it down at about 4 amps. It would go more , but I wanted to see how long it would hold. It held for about 12 minutes!!! I charged it again and let it sit overnight and repeated the load test. It held again! 28 year old battery is still good! LOLz.

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:32 pm

LOL, that is crazy and you spent the time doing it is the kicker. 8) Just remember, once you try a Lipo, you will NEVER go back. :wink:

Glad it is working for you though.
Jeff

Chumley54

Post by Chumley54 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:20 am

The best brushed ESC for the Clod is the Hobbywing Quicrun 860. It has 4 motor leads (for 2 motors) already on it, will handle up to a 4S lipo, adjusts settings with a dip switch. It works great with my 1989 circa Clod . I tried a 3S lipo in it and it was too much speed....loads of fun, but all I kept thinking between the laughter is broken parts and burnt out motors.

I now have a 2S lipo, 8000 Mah in it. Much stronger running than the 5000 mah NiMh I used before. Wheel loft the front wheels on accel, unlike the NiMh battery.

I have put a CPE 4 link suspension on, the axle servo mount with 2 servos for steering. As you add things to improve, they only reveal other weaknesses. The 2 high torque steering servos drew too much current for the BEC so a Castle Creations 10A external BEC was needed. The servos draw over 1.5 amps each, even though the Quicrun has a 3 amp switching BEC circuit, it was still too much current.

I also am using a Flysky GT3B 2.4 ghz TX and 6 channel receiver. The FS GT3b is 3 channel out of the box, but I did the hack (just google GT3B hack) and have 8 channels and 63 model memories as well as the 4WS mixing needed.

The Clod steers much better with 2 servos.

I also lit it up and use 2 more channels for switching light modes. I added C-Hub reinforcements (CPE) but maybe one day I go for the totally aluminum axles....but later.

Also, when you are on CPE, get a pair of steel pinions...the Tamiya Aluminum original wear out pretty fast.

I still have the crappy stock shocks, I'd love to get a competent set of oil filled....but limited funds need to be spread around. I have 2 many trucks right now, I may need to sell one or 2....hard to sell your babies though.
1989 Clod Buster - Work in Progress
1989 Black Foot - Heavily Modded
1990 Midnight Pumpkin - Stock
1990 Monster Beetle - Stock - for Now
2016 Unimog 406 CC-01 Chassis

FlySky GT-3B - Hacked
Flysky GT-3C - Still Stock

fire488

Post by fire488 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:15 pm

SFC K wrote:LOL, that is crazy and you spent the time doing it is the kicker. 8) Just remember, once you try a Lipo, you will NEVER go back. :wink:

Glad it is working for you though.
It was no big deal, I just wanted to try . When I was a fire officer I had to cycle the batteries on our portable radios so I just wanted to see if it would work with this one. I am going LIPO, but I am still unsure which battery I need. I found a 7.2v 5000, this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IE ... PDKIKX0DER.

To do the charger , bag, and new controller it is exceeding $200 and I still have to fix the Clod which is about another $200. Does this seem like the norm for this or am I looking in the wrong sites?

SFC K
Administrator

Post by SFC K » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:27 pm

The battery you linked was a nimh pack. You can get some good batteries from Hobby King (Turnigy) and chargers for under a $100 for two batts and charger. I always look at the USA site for faster shipping times. They also have low voltage alarms and a lot more items.
Jeff

fire488

Post by fire488 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:04 pm

SFC K wrote:The battery you linked was a nimh pack. You can get some good batteries from Hobby King (Turnigy) and chargers for under a $100 for two batts and charger. I always look at the USA site for faster shipping times. They also have low voltage alarms and a lot more items.
Thanks for that. I am going LIPO though for sure at this point. I have quite a bit to learn, but im doing it.

fire488

Post by fire488 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:27 pm

Chumley54 wrote:The best brushed ESC for the Clod is the Hobbywing Quicrun 860. It has 4 motor leads (for 2 motors) already on it, will handle up to a 4S lipo, adjusts settings with a dip switch. It works great with my 1989 circa Clod . I tried a 3S lipo in it and it was too much speed....loads of fun, but all I kept thinking between the laughter is broken parts and burnt out motors.

I now have a 2S lipo, 8000 Mah in it. Much stronger running than the 5000 mah NiMh I used before. Wheel loft the front wheels on accel, unlike the NiMh battery.

I have put a CPE 4 link suspension on, the axle servo mount with 2 servos for steering. As you add things to improve, they only reveal other weaknesses. The 2 high torque steering servos drew too much current for the BEC so a Castle Creations 10A external BEC was needed. The servos draw over 1.5 amps each, even though the Quicrun has a 3 amp switching BEC circuit, it was still too much current.

I also am using a Flysky GT3B 2.4 ghz TX and 6 channel receiver. The FS GT3b is 3 channel out of the box, but I did the hack (just google GT3B hack) and have 8 channels and 63 model memories as well as the 4WS mixing needed.

The Clod steers much better with 2 servos.

I also lit it up and use 2 more channels for switching light modes. I added C-Hub reinforcements (CPE) but maybe one day I go for the totally aluminum axles....but later.

Also, when you are on CPE, get a pair of steel pinions...the Tamiya Aluminum original wear out pretty fast.

I still have the crappy stock shocks, I'd love to get a competent set of oil filled....but limited funds need to be spread around. I have 2 many trucks right now, I may need to sell one or 2....hard to sell your babies though.
Wow some cool stuff here. forgive me for not thanking you for this as I just saw this now. I am looking into t
all this and since I really don't understand much about this stuff yet I am just using Google to look up the items. Thanks again for all this info!