Help with 4 link

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
ARSone24
Approved Member

Help with 4 link

Post by ARSone24 »

So Ive been building my Clod got a CPE 4 link 12inch WB. some lower 4link mounts with outer stiffeners. Both sides hit the motor. Can CPE links be cut? I feel like it needs to be rotated up a little bit. Can the links be extended?

87lc2
Approved Member

Re: Help with 4 link

Post by 87lc2 »

They really shouldn't hit the motors, are you using stock 540 motors or something larger like a 550? Even with 550s you should be OK, see if you can post some pics of what's going on.

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm »

Sometimes you have to tweak the mounting spots by adding spacers or moving them to another location. Sometimes though, you can get away with adding a few mm to the upper links to rotate the whole axle up enough. Just don't go too crazy and have a bad effect on your caster angle!

Here is a pic of what I had to do on a truck, found some random pieces of aluminum (actually old school lockers for ax-10 diffs, lol) to lower the link mounting points on the chassis to clear my motors.

ImageIMG_0946 by mrgrimm1, on Flickr
Monster trucks rule :)

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Pictures would help. Is this on a Stock Clod chassis like this?

Jeff

ARSone24
Approved Member

Post by ARSone24 »

I figured it out. I extended the upper links to rotate the motors up just a slight bit. Yeah I realize now that I didn't need to buy those lower 4 link mounts but using them gave me a nice 13in WB which I think is perfect. These are CPE 12 inch WB stock body links.

This pic shows the slight lengthening of the link on the bottom

Some Flexage.. Pretty happy with the outcome.

Side shot.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Looks good and glad you figured it out. =D> I think if you would have used shorter shocks or removed the 1" lift brackets, it would have been fine. Also, with those axle link mounts, you could have used the hole closest to the chassis for the upper links and it would have clocked the axle more giving you more clearance.

Regardless, you figured out another option. It might be a week spot due too the space between the plastic ball end and the link. If you have any spacers, I'd add one for insurance to make up the gap. :wink:
Jeff

ARSone24
Approved Member

Post by ARSone24 »

Regardless, you figured out another option. It might be a week spot due too the space between the plastic ball end and the link. If you have any spacers, I'd add one for insurance to make up the gap. :wink:[/quote]

I plan on putting an extra nut to fill the space. I only have M3 hardware and the threading was little wider so my nuts wouldn't fit. HEHE

cpe mt
Approved Member

Post by cpe mt »

The threads for those studs on our 4-link kits are #6-32.
Brett Crawford - Owner
Crawford Performance Engineering
http://www.teamcpe.com