resurected vintage Clod...bad steering or broken parts???

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
SlowShelby
Approved Member

resurected vintage Clod...bad steering or broken parts???

Post by SlowShelby »

Well, i finally got around to getting my ild clod running again. I pulled out the broken MSC and AM futaba radio gear and replaced them with 2.4ghz and new EVX 2.
Fired everything up last night and notoced only the rear wheels were turning the truck, making controling the truck interesting. Upon further investogation, it seems the whole front gear is rotating inside the assembly. With everything jooked up, i can probably move it up and down about and inch and the rear is mostly fixed. It would seem the survo torque is just moving the motor and gearbox inside the knuckles (or whatever you would call it) insread of turning the tires.
Is this the normal bad steering, or is this broken parts?
Vintage Clod...bringing back to life
Castle sv3 5700 kv vintage rc10 team car...bent tub
Arrma Kraton 6s

2010 Shelby GT500 580 rwhp....grown up toy :)

SlowShelby
Approved Member

Re: resurected vintage Clod...bad steering or broken parts??

Post by SlowShelby »

Well...looks like broken parts. Seems like there is a black plastic "L" btacket the attaches on the back side of the motor and connect to the stock red lower link/arm. I am looking through the manual that came with the truck originally, and it looks like I need B11. I guess i will see if I can track it down.

If I went to CPE 4 link, would i still need that piece? If I got the 4 link kit it seems i would need to dril a 1/8th hole. Would that need to be tapped as well?
Arrma Kraton 6s

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

Not needed for a 4-link.

My advise?.... they make that piece in aluminum.... it's called an "anti-rotational bracket" .

I like the stock ladder bar suspension, but I'm in the minority around here.... lol

darat76
Approved Member

Post by darat76 »

The lack of turn at one end or the other in a clod is a factory standard special feature.

There are a few different ways to change this special feature, almost every different fix should be found in this forum.

The L shaped item you speak of is the anti rotation piece, in a nut shell, it's the tamiya equivalent of the 3rd shock/fishing line mod for the pumpkin/lunchbox axle twist.

CPE's 4 link setup will also require you to purchase different lower shock mounts, atleast last time I looked at that kit I was going to have to buy a separate lower mount setup.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy »

You can buy the anti rotation bracket in aluminium from CPE, TTR or eBay. You can also easily make one out of aluminium angle. If you 4 link it you do away with this part altogether.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy »

Oops, didn't see the previous replies... Lots of help!

SlowShelby
Approved Member

Post by SlowShelby »

Thanks for the help giys. I swapped the brackets and it did not improve sterring much. It did mae it a little better but still shat. I guess i dont remember it havingsuch ctummy steering.....that was 25 years ago though. Still impressed i have the oroginal manual :)

I like the 4 link because it looks like i could extend the wheelbase some, plus get a little more clearance if i want to go to titan 550s. I dont expect it to run like my Kraton, but a little more power would be nice. That would let my son learn to drive it on 2s (maybe training mode at first) and let my run it on 4s when the kraton was broken or not charged. I could eventually do the chassis on the clod, but probably not until my 5 year old caould drive it without destroying it.

I will search to see if i need to tap after drilling and what else i need (probably washers and shocks and shock mount. Plus a feont mount steering kit....
Arrma Kraton 6s

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm »

When 4 linking a Clod I highly suggest you install axle C stiffeners. Also, there are some really cool brackets out there to attach 4 links, shocks, etc. to that all attach to the same general "C" area on the plastic outer axle tube.

http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... ucts_id=29

http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... cts_id=598

There are also different versions on ebay if you search around, but CPE is pretty good and he's around on the forums so :thumbsup:
Monster trucks rule :)

SlowShelby
Approved Member

Post by SlowShelby »

Yah, i have been on cpe's site a lot the past few days. Just debating how much i want to do. I need to fix steering, and like the 4 links, but by the time I do all of the braclets and what not it stats to look apealing to jsut say F it and order a terminator kit. Hmmmmm
Arrma Kraton 6s

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

I would say you need to decide on old-school vs new school.

SlowShelby
Approved Member

Post by SlowShelby »

Very true. I just want it to be fun and durable. I doubt it will ever be 9n par with my modd3d kraton, but it is still fun in stock form, except the steering. Problem is thT the steering kit depends on what suspension set up I want to run, which effects what motors i can run. I could pick u0 another castle 5700 system, but I think it would increase breakage a good bit. A 550 setup could probably be fun. I just know how these things snowball, as I have done it numerous times with real cars, lol.
Arrma Kraton 6s

darat76
Approved Member

Post by darat76 »

You could go twin servo steering, there are bumper mount options on ebay, and there is a couple of bumper mounts that have been fabricated by members on different forums.

I brought the stock clod steering links from CPE, it turned better with it, but still wasn't happy due to the amount of sideways movement that the whole front and rear assembly was doing, so to keep my clod close to stock, I went and picked up a pair of alloy bumper mounts, this meant I could use the links I had from CPE, and bypass the servo savers (which takes out a lot of the slack), I used a heavy duty xray touring car servo saver horn on the front, and a stock xray touring car one on the rear. the rear wheels still turn more than the front do, but at least i only have to do a 3 point turn in the hallway, instead of a 20 point turn. One day I'll go back and see what I can do to get the front wheels to reach full lock at all times.

Oh, should mention, twin servo steering needs to have either a Y harness and an inline servo reverser, or a 4 channel radio with channel mixing.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy »

X2 on the bumper steering mounts. Even if you decide to change the chassis later they will still work. Doesn't limit the suspension like the vertical mounts either.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

SlowShelby wrote:Very true. I just want it to be fun and durable. I doubt it will ever be 9n par with my modd3d kraton, but it is still fun in stock form, except the steering. Problem is thT the steering kit depends on what suspension set up I want to run, which effects what motors i can run. I could pick u0 another castle 5700 system, but I think it would increase breakage a good bit. A 550 setup could probably be fun. I just know how these things snowball, as I have done it numerous times with real cars, lol.
Exactly.

That was why I created the "super-stocker" which I am in the process of resurrecting.
That was also why I created T2 the way I did.

The faster you make it.... the more often it breaks.

Chumley54

Post by Chumley54 »

I put the stock length 4 link suspension from CPE. What is nice is the suspension is a lot more compliant. Articulation isn't like the aftermarket chassis, but it is much improved.

I also have the gearbox mount CPE steering servo mount and steering links. The turning is better, but with the stock width wheels, the turning is still wide. I am thinking the wheels adapters that give additional width are in order so I can change the steering stops and not hit chassis or links.

The only complaint I have is that the more I "fix", the more that needs fixing. It can be a real rabbit hole.

The original single servo steering and kludgy servo savers leave too much slop. The pivot points int he transmission for the servo saver wear quickly and get more slop as the Clods ages. The steering improvement is really worth the effort, IMHO.

As I improve everything, the limitation of the chassis get revealed....so at some point, a CPE (Thinking Flashback Chassis) chassis is going to be needed.
1989 Clod Buster - Work in Progress
1989 Black Foot - Heavily Modded
1990 Midnight Pumpkin - Stock
1990 Monster Beetle - Stock - for Now
2016 Unimog 406 CC-01 Chassis

FlySky GT-3B - Hacked
Flysky GT-3C - Still Stock