My aluminum chassis build - what will it be?

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
wahrsuul
Approved Member

My aluminum chassis build - what will it be?

Post by wahrsuul »

Ok, started work on the aluminum chassis.

Disassembly was a chore, many of the screws were seized, there was a lot of leftover adhesive on the inside of the chassis plates, the shocks feel like they have sand in them, and one of the gear cases is destroyed:

As you can see, the side is broken off - it was held in by the metal support. The top mount for the upper links was barely holding on till I took it apart. Fortunately, with the re-release, the parts are fairly cheap.

I can say for sure that this was a crawler chassis - the diffs are locked as well, so if I want to run it as a basher, I need new gears. I have a full set I bought back in the 80s when I got my first Clod, so that's not an issue.

The parts are out for powder coating now, so hopefully by the time it all gets back, I'll have figured out what to do with it.

SFC K

Re: My aluminum chassis build - what will it be?

Post by SFC K »

Sorry to see your new project has sent you back a couple steps. Interesting locations for the case to break. That is not a common breaking point with these at all. :shock:
Jeff

Budhatrain
Business Member

Post by Budhatrain »

unless you ran into a bumper of a car
Need Screws?! Check out Screw Loose Hex Head Hardware here at Clodtalk or go to http://screwloosehardware.com

Team Driver for 2 great companies, visit http://www.cowrc.com and http://store.rc4wd.com/

wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by wahrsuul »

No telling what happened to it, the links didn't seems bent when compared with all the others, so I'm wondering if this part wasn't pulled from a different truck and put on this one just to get it sold. Oh well, at least I can get parts for it fairly easily.

Skinner
Approved Member

Post by Skinner »

Does look crawler setup, bet has good flex! Wonder if it took to many tumbles down rocks to break that case :shock:
5b baja-lx2e-clodbuster-mcx2 & more!!

~Pat~

wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by wahrsuul »

No telling - the guy that I got it from just picks stuff up at yard sales and estate sales and such and resells, he doesn't know the history. Still waiting on the PL wheels to come out so I can see what my options are there. I may leave this as crawler as I like the look of it for the most part, but that means I'd need another chassis for my basher. Guess I could mod the Time Capsule some and just run that.

wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by wahrsuul »

Well, parts are back from powder coating. I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the purple. Looked better in the sample, but on the parts it's more of a lavender color. May have to have it redone. The yellow and silver look great though.

Still waiting on the gear case and to figure out the wheels. haven't seen anything new on the PL wheels as yet, but I have seen some decent ones on ebay that would work.

Chumley54

Post by Chumley54 »

Doesn't exist without pics
1989 Clod Buster - Work in Progress
1989 Black Foot - Heavily Modded
1990 Midnight Pumpkin - Stock
1990 Monster Beetle - Stock - for Now
2016 Unimog 406 CC-01 Chassis

FlySky GT-3B - Hacked
Flysky GT-3C - Still Stock

wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by wahrsuul »

Figured as much. Here we are:

New gear case parts arrived last night. I'm thinking I might just leave the colors the way they are and see how it comes out.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

:popcorn:
Jeff

Chumley54

Post by Chumley54 »

The yrellow is nice, but the "violet"? Kinda "my little pony" color.....but still, better than bare aluminum....
1989 Clod Buster - Work in Progress
1989 Black Foot - Heavily Modded
1990 Midnight Pumpkin - Stock
1990 Monster Beetle - Stock - for Now
2016 Unimog 406 CC-01 Chassis

FlySky GT-3B - Hacked
Flysky GT-3C - Still Stock

wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by wahrsuul »

Aw now, don't be dissing my ponies... Thought if I was to do an MLP truck, it'd be more along the lines of Vinyl Scratch or Dr. Whooves.

My wife says it's "plum" purple. Despite having the granddaughter this weekend, I did manage to get the chassis and the links assembled. It looks better than I thought it would. Still have to rebuild the broken gear case and the shocks.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

It could be the lighting from the flash that is messing with the colors. I personally like it very much and thing it will look awesome once all assembled. :wink:
Jeff

wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by wahrsuul »

Ok, got it all together this weekend. Looks better than I thought it would. Got some wheels on order, they'll be in by the end of the week.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

I like it! Do you have a body in mind for it? A bug body would look killer on there.
Jeff