Wheels and Adapters

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
wahrsuul
Approved Member

Wheels and Adapters

Post by wahrsuul »

Ok, I've been looking around and I'm a bit confused. Stock Clod wheels are hard to find, so what are the options? I was at my LHS, and they have some nice truck wheels, but they're 12mm hex, and according to the guys there, that's pretty standard size. So, what can I use? Are there adapters for the Clod to use 12mm hex? Are there other wheels that work with the stock Clod?

I just picked up a set of stock wheels pretty cheap, but they've been painted. Fine by me, they'll get a fresh coat and go on the Time Capsule, and the OEM white one will go to the stock clod. But I have an aluminum chassis/almost roller on the way with no wheels, so I;m trying to figure out what to do with that one.

SFC K

Re: Wheels and Adapters

Post by SFC K »

I would wait for Proline Racing to come out with their New Clod wheels that will have two offsets for your aluminum chassis build if you can wait until January.

Clod wheels do use a 12mm hex at the stub axle and use the plastic 5 hole adapter to the Clod wheel, and if you intend on widening them, CPE, TTR and a few others make wideners for clods with many different lengths.

Once these Proline wheels come out, I think we will see a huge amount of Clod wheels and tires hit the market, as these will be highly sought after... :wink: Theses are going to be a game changer. 8)

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=30445&p=290869&hil ... ne#p290869
Jeff

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

Well, your LHS probably doesn't stock lot of Clod stuff. Always seems to plenty on eBay though.

For your aluminum chassis build, I assume your goal will be a more powerful / athletic build than your stocker. For that purpose, I have found that the stock "puck" systems just doesn't cut it. And, to my knowledge, only stock Clod wheels use the pin/puck system. So, I would say that your interest in hex drive wheels is the right way to go.

I tried various adapters, but always found the stock axles, etc. inadequate and go tired of rebuilding diffs. So, I ended up with these: http://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-Extreme-Du ... _4092.html You can choose either 12mm, 14mm or 17mm hex, so you can run just about any wheel you can think of. I think TTR makes a system too.

For wheels, I chose Ofna Pirate wheels (17mm) but these are a tad big and heavy. Overall, I've been please with them though. I'd recommend checking out various build threads and seeing which tires/wheels you like. And, whatever hex those use is the direction you want to go.
wahrsuul wrote:Ok, I've been looking around and I'm a bit confused. Stock Clod wheels are hard to find, so what are the options? I was at my LHS, and they have some nice truck wheels, but they're 12mm hex, and according to the guys there, that's pretty standard size. So, what can I use? Are there adapters for the Clod to use 12mm hex? Are there other wheels that work with the stock Clod?

I just picked up a set of stock wheels pretty cheap, but they've been painted. Fine by me, they'll get a fresh coat and go on the Time Capsule, and the OEM white one will go to the stock clod. But I have an aluminum chassis/almost roller on the way with no wheels, so I;m trying to figure out what to do with that one.

wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by wahrsuul »

Excellent, that's what I was looking for. My only question would be; if I went 12mm hex wheels, would I need anything to mount them on th4e Clod?

I picked up a chassis off ebay, but after getting it in (very fast shipping at least), it seems WAY too long to be a decent all around truck, seems more like a crawler. SO maybe I'll need to get a different chassis now, but its nice to know I have lots of options for wheels.

Here's the chassis I got. Being inexperienced, I wasn't sure what to look for, and they didn't list dimensions. It's way longer than I thought.
Last edited by wahrsuul on Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

If you got the XVD's and 12mm hex drive wheels then you would have everything you would need. If you don't want to spring for the XVD's, a lot of people use these to widen it a bit. http://store.rc4wd.com/Mini-12mm-Wheel- ... p_273.html

I'd recommend going with 14mm or 17mm wheels - it seemed like there was more selection. Not much seemed to use 12mm when I was looking.

Your chassis looks really cool. If you want another chassis, check out: http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... cPath=1_23

Bunch of neat wheels / tires here (all 17mm): http://www.duratrax.com/tires/3-8mt_specs_chart.html

What motors do you intend to use?
wahrsuul wrote:Excellent, that's what I was looking for. My only question would be; if I went 12mm hex wheels, would I need anything to mount them on th4e Clod?

I picked up a chassis off ebay, but after getting it in (very fast shipping at least), it seems WAY too long to be a decent all around truck, seems more like a crawler. SO maybe I'll need to get a different chassis now, but its nice to know I have lots of options for wheels.

Here's the chassis I got. Being inexperienced, I wasn't sure what to look for, and they didn't list dimensions. It's way longer than I thought.

mrgrimm
Approved Member

Post by mrgrimm »

You can just change the link lengths to get desired wheelbase, and keep the chassis if you like it!

I have all kinds of extra links for my trucks because you never know when you want to mount a different body with shorter/longer wheelbase.
Monster trucks rule :)

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

That chassis is definitely a crawler specific chassis. You could shorten the links like Mrgrimm said, but the lower chassis mount (Battery Plate)might get in the way. It extends out almost to the end of the chassis rails. Could be a problem.

For wheels and tires, I would stick with Clod tire or the new Proline wheel and tire combo. Clod wheels will need an wheel extenders depending on your application. Most custom chassis builds will require you to push the wheels out to avoid hitting the lower links if equipped. If you wait for the Proline wheels, no special adapters will be needed depending on the offset.

XVDs are nice, but so many members had issues installing them and need some type of custom work around to get them to work.

Bottom line, with so many different options out there, you really need to dive into some of the build threads here and do some home work first. It could have saved you from buying a chassis built for crawling when you needed a chassis for bashing duties. :wink:
Jeff

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

XVD's do require a skinnier bearing. Everything else went together just fine for me. Check out here for details: http://www.rcmt.net/forums/showthread.p ... ter-review

It might be kind of fun to try and bash a crawler chassis. Hard to control, but fun.

And, SFC K has built approximately 53 zillion Clods so he is definitely the authority. I've done three, if you count the one I did when I was 12.
SFC K wrote:That chassis is definitely a crawler specific chassis. You could shorten the links like Mrgrimm said, but the lower chassis mount (Battery Plate)might get in the way. It extends out almost to the end of the chassis rails. Could be a problem.

For wheels and tires, I would stick with Clod tire or the new Proline wheel and tire combo. Clod wheels will need an wheel extenders depending on your application. Most custom chassis builds will require you to push the wheels out to avoid hitting the lower links if equipped. If you wait for the Proline wheels, no special adapters will be needed depending on the offset.

XVDs are nice, but so many members had issues installing them and need some type of custom work around to get them to work.

Bottom line, with so many different options out there, you really need to dive into some of the build threads here and do some home work first. It could have saved you from buying a chassis built for crawling when you needed a chassis for bashing duties. :wink:

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Minotaur wrote:XVD's do require a skinnier bearing. Everything else went together just fine for me. Check out here for details: http://www.rcmt.net/forums/showthread.p ... ter-review

It might be kind of fun to try and bash a crawler chassis. Hard to control, but fun.

And, SFC K has built approximately 53 zillion Clods so he is definitely the authority. I've done three, if you count the one I did when I was 12.
SFC K wrote:That chassis is definitely a crawler specific chassis. You could shorten the links like Mrgrimm said, but the lower chassis mount (Battery Plate)might get in the way. It extends out almost to the end of the chassis rails. Could be a problem.

LOL, I have built a few, and I'm not always right. Just throwing my .02 in to help out. It can be a bit overwhelming with all the different options out there. I myself try to do as much research before committing on a purchase.

I think Justin has built close to the 53 zillion Clods so he would be the Authority on this topic. :wink: :lol:
Jeff

wahrsuul
Approved Member

Post by wahrsuul »

Thanks so much, this is exactly the kind of info I need.

Sounds like to shorten the wheelbase, I'd have to replace the upper and lower links. Where would I attach the shocks if I replace the lower links? Where would I get new links from?

wolfden57

Post by wolfden57 »

I believe CPE has the axle adapters you can use as well to attach the shocks to the links or a aluminum bracket that attached to the axle. I'm sure others will chime in as well. I've only built 2 clods and working on my 3rd and 4th now.
Was looking at that chassis on ebay and to me it looked like it also needed new gearboxes as I couldn't tell if they were decent scratches or cracks. There was another one I bought from the same seller and had to replace the c hubs and a axle tube. But yes they are long.

wolfden57

Post by wolfden57 »

I found out it's level3 rc that makes the adapters I was thinking of earlier.

cpe mt
Approved Member

Post by cpe mt »

We offer them also. As well as various length 4-link kits to shorten that wheelbase down.

http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... cts_id=598
Brett Crawford - Owner
Crawford Performance Engineering
http://www.teamcpe.com

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

I mentioned this already, If you get the shorter links, you will need to cut down that battery tray or remove it completely and install chassis tubes to tie the two sides together. The axles will hit that when the suspension travels upward. It is too long.
Jeff

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy »

Asd Brett said, you can buy all of the gear from his site. Most people aim for around a 13" wheelbase. You can work out how long your links need to be for that. And as Jeff said, cut down you battery tray to suit. It looks like you will need shorter shocks too.