Panhard rod for Clod?

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
hardedge
Approved Member

Panhard rod for Clod?

Post by hardedge »

I'm building a Clod trailer. It's not powered and has a custom chassis. The suspension is a single link from each side of the axle to the outside of each side of the stirrup. There's a single shock on each side as well. (Should have taken a picture. I'll add one later. Darn!) But there's too much lateral movement in the axle. Doe any one make a panhard rod (track bar) for the Clod? Do you know of any Clod specific plans? Any tips appreciated. Thanks.
The last man standing has often cheated...

andymac0035
Administrator

Re: Panhard rod for Clod?

Post by andymac0035 »

I suspect you'll have to make something.
This is the last clod-trailer I remember seeing, maybe this will help: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25138&start=180

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge »

It's becoming more and more evident. :-(

132NHAF

Post by 132NHAF »

A couple of questions:

Do you have to have suspension on the trailer?
If so, can you run super stiff springs?
Have you considered running on-road shocks (shorter, stiffer)

And last,

What the heck is a panhard rod?????? :shock:
Scott T

Stickers...Get your ClodTalk stickers here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25953

It's not WHAT toys you play with, but that you play with toys at all that is important.

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge »

Track rod..?

I have 90mm (as opposed to 120mm) tube shocks with internal springs in house but they forgot to mention that they needed assembly. I don't do well with small e-clips. Next month I get the assembled CPE versions.

I can probably make a panhard rod but I need to do all the measurements first with everything in final form.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

How did you mount the axles to the chassis? have you looked into leaf springs for it? Pictures of your trailer would help us, help you. :wink:
Jeff

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge »

Ran into some problems with the main Clod chassis this morning so the trailer pics are slightly delayed. They'll get here. :-)

Bought these to make sure it won't happen again.

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge »

1.5 hours to disentangle one side of the axle. I wish my hands worked better... :oops:

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge »

This is what the trailer suspension looks like right now. There's about a 1/2 inch of side-to-side play.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Interesting layout. Are you going to power that as well? I think it would be simple to just add upper links to the upper portion of the gear box where the stock steering would go using a upper mount and clock the axle so it is more level.
Jeff

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge »

Non-powered. The transmission case and axle tubes are empty. Considering where the shocks are mounted, upper links would be a problem unless I relocated the lower shock mounting points to the tabs on the lower links --which is a possibility. All suggestions accepted! :-)

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Are you set on using a dummy Clod axle for trailer duties? I think using that is a waist and is making things more complicated than they need to be. I would think a simple axle shaft that is long enough to adapt to the 12mm hex is all you need. You could still use your shock/link mounts to adapt the axle too it and 4 link it. Does that make sense?
Jeff

hardedge
Approved Member

Post by hardedge »

I looked at using a Ground Pounder axle and even a 1/14 scale trailer axles but, within the range of things I can physically do, this seemed the easiest choice to maintain the correct attitude of the trailer to te Clod chassis. The only thing I'm really wasting are the axles and they're a minor expense. (CP axle was $20, 1/14 axle was $28, and the Clod axles were $12.) The plastics are things I've had from needing other parts they shared trees with. I think I figured out how to center the axle as well as level tho hosing using a 1/14 scale spring mount and an aluminum rod.

But first I need to rebuild the axle that broke on te main chassis,,, I thought when I sold my '76 Camaro that I'd be done with band aid repairs. :-)