New era chassis

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
scclod

New era chassis

Post by scclod »

First off hello to all. Use to look at this site a lot but been somewhat on a hiatus from the hobby for awhile. Once had a collection of 20+ but through the years has dwindled to two clods. They always been my favorites so they hung around. My 7 year old son been hasseling me to get them going. That's brought me back here and with a couple questions. The one I was looking for some advice on has an old new era tube chassis with cantilever suspension. Last time I ran it was several years ago. While looking it over I began checking into changing a couple things. I was wanting to get it to sit some what lower than it does. I thought about shortening the links from the cantilever to the axle first. Also moving that link to the the lower 4 link with the cable clamps. Is there a better option or would this work? Also bta steering is it better than axle mounted steering? This is primarily a yard basher for myself and my son to enjoy. Thanks for any help.

SFC K

Re: New era chassis

Post by SFC K »

First off, welcome to the forum!

I'm curious to see what version of the New Era chassis you have. They made several versions of the cantilever style so that would help us a little bit. Second, Try a shorter shock first or weaker spring rate springs. You can remove the mounting screw from the chassis side and see if it lowers it and go from there. Like I said, it would really help to see what you got.

As for the behind the axle steering, its more trouble than its worth if this is a basher, and with the cantilever suspension you might find it harder to mount it. Id recommend getting a vertical mounting plate and try this mod if you are looking for more steering. Most likely you have a vertical mount already. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=24891

I hope this helps. I'm sure someone else will offer up advice. Cantilever suspensions are not really my expertise.
Jeff

scclod

Post by scclod »

Thanks for the input. I was trying to get a pic posted but it wouldn't attach.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Most of us use a hosting site like Photobucket to post pictures and it is free. The downside to posting pictures here locally is the size limitations.

There is more info here on resizing pictures or photo hosting sites "how to" here.

viewforum.php?f=19
Jeff

scclod

Post by scclod »

I was using my I phone trying to take the picture and attach it that way. I may have to make a photo bucket account then.

scclod

Post by scclod »

scclod

Post by scclod »

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

That helps a lot. I think you were right with your first assessment. Try shorting those vertical links and see if that lowers it some. It appears the lower links are too short as well. They should be more parallel to the ground. Shorting the upper vertical links though might help.
Jeff

scclod

Post by scclod »

i made the links with threaded rod and brake line. The uppers were longer till I cut them cause the gear boxes were tilted. Now all four are the same length. You mentioned how they should be more parallel and I was going to ask about that. Cause I had read another post where that was mentioned. also the pic of my servo that is the front and the servo saver is pointed down. Well the rear is pointed upward I remember trying to set both of them up the same but it would crab walk what am I missing there? I don't like the angle at which the rear is set with the link.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

It's hard to tell from your picture how the they are mounted between the front and back. Servo savor should be pointed down. The upper link for the steering should be as parallel to bottom for best results. I would take the servo savors off, re-center both servos via your radio and reinstall the servo savors. Both should be facing down typically.
Jeff

scclod

Post by scclod »

Here a couple pics of my stock clod

scclod

Post by scclod »

Will do I'll try that tomorrow thanks for your input I really appreciate it

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Your welcome! BTW, Nice looking stocker! 8)

I will mention this on the links. Just make sure that they are as even as possible for each set. If one is longer than the other that could cause the crab walk you are experiencing as well. I would check them out if you have time too. Something just seems off with them (Upper and Lower). It could be just the mounting locations too as you have a few choices.
Jeff

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

It is 2:30am as I type this.... and I'm tired.... :sleep:

Welcome! and nice clods you got there. :thumbsup:

After looking at your set-up, I'd say don't shorten your pushrods much if at all. I use camber links for pushrods on my custom clod as well as e-maxx tow links for my 4-link. Nice thing about using these is that you can make adjustments to keep everything lined up.

Move where your lower links are attached to you axles to the bottom of the C-hub. This will mean drilling a new hole. That will drop your height quite a bit. I would also consider getting new upper mounts that are not as tall. You may want to consider some (RC4WD) mini-wideners for extra clearance when turning.

Here is my current clod with cantilever suspension, hopefully this will help some.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=28235&start=525

scclod

Post by scclod »

Thanks Andy. I'll look into moving that lower link. Would I benefit from moving the cantilever link onto the lower 4 link with cable clamps? I'm not sure what that part is called you have on your c hub where your cantilever bolts to. But would that be a better option?