Two Clod build thread

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
GhostTown

Re: Two Clod build thread

Post by GhostTown »

Not crawling, but prepared jumps, with maybe some light bashing.

Safest to just go with vertical mount?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

If you want the suspension "up" a bit (read normal) like mine is, BTA won't work. There are upsides and downsides to all the clod steering set-ups. The servo mount used for the BTA can be used in non-BTA ways, but I find the cpe one tends to flex and needs bracing....or at least the one I had a few years ago did, but once I braced it, it worked very well.

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

Like Andy said, no steering system is without compromise. I use a CPE Vertical Mount, and I like it fine. Best of the maybe 4 or so setups I've used. I did have a CPE BTA system for awhile, but it was very flexy and inconsistent. When I put on my 120mm shocks, I raised my ride height, and had to ditch the BTA.

The trouble with the front mount systems is that they are vulnerable, and you bash your steering linkage when/if you hit something. Someday, I'd like to try a bumper mount, but for now, the vertical mount works well enough. The upside of a bumper mount is that (I think) with the servo in the middle, the truck will steer equally left and right, and protect the servo too.

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

I'll have to look up bumper mounts. Who supplies them?

rex21
Approved Member

Post by rex21 »

The only one I know of that makes themcurrently is on rccrawler. He makes them out of steel and I hear they are nice. His name is mattzilla.

I made my own, the way I wanted them. You can find them on ebay from time to time.

I prefer this style for the protection it provides the servo and steering links, and I have bounced it off of tons of stuff.

They do not look this good anymore:

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

Wow... I really like the look of that. Nice job on those.

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

Now that I google around a bit, there are some images of a few different ones. Looks like they all are custom made however.

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

XVD's, axle tubes, and stock hubs arrived. Plan on the stock gear bags next, but I also need hardware.

Should I purchase all of the stock screw bags to assemble this stuff?

Next up is steering assemblies.

Then I guess electronics. Still set on the Novak systems unless I get other feedback.

Sixtys Guy
Approved Member

Post by Sixtys Guy »

I'm a big fan of the bumper/servo mount as well. I have a couple of JPS bumpers that I picked up second hand, I also have a few of the MattzillaRC bumpers. I bought a pair only a month or so ago. I contacted him on his FB page. I paid $76 including postage to Australia. Pics can be found in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=28495&hilit=mattzilla

There is also the aluminium version that you posted the pic of. They can be found on Ebay; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Axle-A ... 3aa67e68dc

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

I can't thank you enough. That is all great information and helps me out. Your thread has great pics, and now I know where to go to get the bumpers.

Thanks again. :beer:

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

Since I'm running Integy axle tubes, do I need to also use the stock axle braces?

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

No, If you were mounting the shocks to the brackets than yes but may need to modify them to fit.
Jeff

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

Thank you. For now I plan to keep the shocks mounted to the lower links and continue focusing on acquiring the rest of the parts needed to get the chassis done.

As mentioned above, I plan to run bumper mounted servos. However, I'm not sure what steering links would work with a set up like that. Looks like stock length links would work. Suggestions?

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

Talked to CPE, and also verified with a guy on facebook who runs the bumper servo mounts. Stock length steering linkages will work.

Ordered the steering links and 4 link mounts from CPE today.

I've decided on servos. Airtronics 94671's front and rear.

Before I get those, I still need to get the gears and figure out bearing sizes for the gear cases.

Still need hardware, too.

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

In the meantime.... I got the axles sort of tacked together because I'm excited. Helps me to see the big picture some.