Two Clod build thread

Talk about the Clod Buster, and all other motor on axle trucks here.
GhostTown

Two Clod build thread

Post by GhostTown »

I'll skip a long lengthy intro on me and why I've always wanted a Clodbuster. We all know why they are so cool. I am an old school racer who got started in the late 80's and have raced on and off road for short and extended lengths of time up til this point. Currently I race touring cars twice a week on an indoor carpet track at my LHS. I also run a Stampede in whats called a "Redneck" class consisting of large tired trucks. It's likely that my love of my Stampede finally pushed me into getting started on this Clod.

I realize that I'm embarking on a build that is unconventional compared to buying a kit from Losi, AE, or whoever, and I find that to be one of the fun parts. The challenge of building something that is unique, but fast and awesome looking. That said, I'm going to need some help from you guys along with any other resource I can find. I won't find any help locally save for getting what parts I can through my LHS. The guys at the track think I'm nuts and wasting my money. But they are of a different mindset than me.

My plan: Build a full blown race clod. All of the goodies involved, spare no expense. Also build up budget a retro "stocker" with just enough modifications to make it turn well and not be a complete slug.

What I have to start: I bought this old used chassis from some guy on Facebook. Paid $100 for it thinking it would be the start of my mod clod build, but then decided to keep it as a retro stocker.

Last week I came across this chassis from a different guy on Facebook and bought it as the start to my race clod:

I'm currently in process of buying axle components for this truck, as it will be my main focus. As I move along with the race clod I plan to tinker on the stocker. Comparing the old original stock components to the aftermarket upgrades and working on it as I go.

Here is the goal for the race clod:
1. Sensored, high KV motors - I've read and read about this. Since I do not plan to run the race clod in water, or likely not even dirt I'm not worried about water proofing. What IS very important to me is smooth, precise throttle control coupled with insane power. I understand thoroughly that with power, comes durability issues no matter what parts you're running. I'm willing to accept this. I have contacted Novak (I've always been a big Novak guy), and understand that the Crusher ESC's have a reverse rotation mode. So, dual Crusher ESC's, coupled with their Vulcan motors are what I'll be after.

2. Axles that can handle this power - I've settled on going the Integy route for axle tubes and knuckles. XVD's are something I'm also considering, but I'm not quite sure if they are really needed yet. I've read and discussed with some Midwest clod racers on Facebook that the stock axles work just fine. Same with the stock Tamiya gears. I'd like input here. If XVD's provide noticeably better steering and are stronger, it's worth the $100 to me.

3. Rear steering is a must - A monster truck without rear steering is just another truck IMO. I currently use an Airtronics M12 to race with and I plan on using it's channel mixing features to dial in/out rear steering as I wish with this truck.

My radio:

4. Power source - I've yet to decide on 2s or 3s. I'm not quite sure how to approach that yet. 3s creates more motor limits with the ESC, but provides more power of course. Another area I'm hoping for more input on, as running a dual system is new to me. I'm not concerned with run time as much I am about stress on the electronics and battery.

That's who I am, and my plan. Now to provide details on my next move.....

GhostTown

Re: Two Clod build thread

Post by GhostTown »

I bought two B parts bags for the gear box cases. Now I need everything that goes inside and everything that holds it all together. Gears, bearings, axles, and screws. I was planning on ordering this stuff through the LHS:
1. Gear Bag 50327
2. Screw Bags A,B,C, & D
3. Integy Aluminum Axle Tubes
4. Integy Aluminum Steering Knuckles
5. Bearings
6. Axles (stock or XVDs?)

I will still need steering linkages, servo mounts, and a 4 link axle mount, likely all from CPE.

Is there anything else that you guys can point out that I'm missing to complete the axles?

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

I'll need axles spacers, too I assume. Along with hubs and wheels. I haven't decided on wheels yet, but have been favoring the stock clod wheels with the scale look of the CPE planetarys, 10 bolt details, and glue on bead locks.

shadowfocus603
Approved Member

Post by shadowfocus603 »

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=28235

Read Andy's thread. In it's entirety. He covers spacers, gearing up, reinforcing, every single thing you will need to do. Pay special attention to his cantilever system. I'd seriously consider the same setup. His truck drives amazingly. I have seen and driven it in person. So much more settled and easy to drive than my Clod Pounder build is (for now). I modeled a lot of my upgrades off of what he did. By the way I'd stick with plastic tubes and knuckles. At the least knuckles. In the event of a breakage a tube (if you do the quick change mod) or a knuckle is far easier to swap than a broken gearbox. I have beat my truck and met more than a few curbs at differing angles including head on at speed and have yet to break anything and I'm all plastic with bearings and quick change tube mod. I have CPE linkages for steering and servo mounts as well. My build link is in my sig.

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

I would say aluminum is an all-or-nothing situation.

If you really and truly want to spend the bucks, I would locate a set of complete JPS axle assemblies, and stuff them with TTR CVD's.
I believe CPE did a deal with MIP and TTR to carry these but I never pay that much attention as I prefer stock.

Oh, and TTR had ball-diffs for these at one point as well.

And since you are talking like money is no object, I'd look into the Diablo chassis as well.... and heck... TTR ripper while your at it.
Nothing wrong with the CPE chassis you already have though.

How wide are your track's lane's?
I have driven my clod on our local dirt track and it's got 8-foot lanes...... and it feels a LOT narrower than 8 feet with a clod.... :shock:

If you are going high KV (6000-ish or higher) 2S is all you need. No need to mess with gearing, just go high enough kv-wise to make optimal use of the stock gearing.

Minotaur
Approved Member

Post by Minotaur »

With big brushless power, you will find the limits of the stock components. I use the RC4WD XVD's and I think they are great. Extra beefy and they never give me any trouble (I had to supply a couple of skinnier bearings though http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78019). With the stock axles, I was always breaking the little drive pins off. I'd recommend aluminum axle tubes and knuckles as well. But, go ahead and build it with the stock stuff, and see what you get.

For racing (and I'm just a basher) I'm not sure you will like the open diffs. The suggestion of a TTR ball diff was a good one. My truck is locked up in the back and uses a TTR diff in front. I think it is great, and, much more durable than before.

You will need to decide on a steering system too. Lot's of options out there.

Good luck!

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not worried about lane width. I won't be disappointed if the truck isn't race worthy at my little carpet track. I race a Stampede on it, however. Simple little things, Stampedes, but they aren't known for their superior carpet handling. If I take this Clod to the track on race nights just to screw with it during the hour or so before the racing starts, that will be fun enough. Plus, a little driveway bashing. I might even haul the thing to St. Louis and do some racing there. I love St. Louis and visit there every couple of years.

Anyhow, leaving the hubs as a break point isn't a bad idea. Neither is a full JPS axle set up. Is JPS still in business? They have a website still, obviously. I wonder if they would answer their phone.

Breaking the truck do to bad and/or aggressive driving isn't something I'm very worried about. Shredding the guts out of the gear boxes/axles from high motor power output would be frustrating as hell. I might jump on the XVDs right away.

Thanks for the battery input. I was hoping that a good 2s would do the job. I have a couple 6000 mah 100c packs that I'm not using to race with anymore since I dropped a class. Those should work.

Though I read through Andy's build thread about a month ago, I'll re-read it to see if I can glean new ideas based off of the knowledge I've gained since then. Thanks again for the replies. It really helps a lot.

cpe mt
Approved Member

Post by cpe mt »

The XVD axles are a good upgrade, particularly with the power you want to run. Plus, we currently have them on sale!

As far as gears, we use the stock Tamiya gears with stock (open) diffs. The gears can hold up to plenty of power, you just have to make sure not to be on the throttle when landing from jumps.

For axle tubes/steering knuckles, we either recommend staying stock, or going with aluminum tubs and plastic knuckles. If something is going to break, a knuckle is a lot easier to replace than a gearcase.

Good luck with your build! You have a great base to build from with that Terminator.
Brett Crawford - Owner
Crawford Performance Engineering
http://www.teamcpe.com

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

Ordered the Integy axle tubes and factory plastic hubs today. Hoping to order XVD's in the next couple days. Hope they are still available then.

SFC K

Post by SFC K »

Nice! :popcorn:
Jeff

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

Just bought the XVDs from CPE, too. I didn't want to lose out on the last two sets. :?

Next up, the gears and screws. Just get all of the stock parts bags for that stuff? I have zero hardware.

The axle tubes come with bearings, but what about the rest of the gear case?

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

I don't quite understand how the BTA steering works, as opposed to the vertical servo mounts.

I want the stronger system, but would also like the servo to not be right up front on top of the axle.

Could someone give me input on this?

SafetySteve
Approved Member

Post by SafetySteve »

The servo is facing backwards and sits horizontal with a BTA setup. All the steering stuff is "Behind The Axle" instead of facing forward.

http://crawfordperformanceengineering.c ... ucts_id=15

GhostTown

Post by GhostTown »

Which is usually preferred?

andymac0035
Administrator

Post by andymac0035 »

It depends on your application, as a BTA steering set up requires a low slung suspension.